The Streets of Azuria

Abandoned threads and finished plots.
illirica
Sandbox Mod

Re: The Streets of Azuria

Post by illirica » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:01 pm

It was not the cleanest marketplace that Ariana had ever been in, but in retrospect, it was not the grimiest, either. She walked down the streets with a sword that was far too large for a girl of her size held one-handed, the naked blade propped up against her shoulder, leaving her other hand free to hold an apple she'd picked up for a few coins. She bit into the apple, looking around with curiosity to see if there was anything of interest going on here.

It ain't the first city she's been in. Won't be the last, either. Not her fault, really. She'd like a place to call home, but sometimes little things pop up that make a place less welcoming. Last time it was dogs. Spark likes dogs, but those ones... well, let's say they weren't the pick of the litter. Anyway, she made it to Azuria all right, with a bit of help. They say good help's hard to find, but I wager I'm better than most. Girl walks down the city streets munching an apple that's no substitute for a square meal, but it's what she's got right now. She'd have rather had a drink, but I don't let her do that. Not any more. We found out where that led a while back, and the gutters here ain't the nicest we've seen either.

Ariana suppressed a sigh that no one could possibly understand and bit into the apple again with a little more vehemence. The problem with having a sentient sword as a companion was that it got bored very easily, and sometimes it simply would not shut up. It had taken to narrating her life in her head, which had admittedly been somewhat amusing the first time, for the first fifteen minutes. Months later, when it wouldn't stop bringing up her mistakes like a badly-written backstory in the sort of novel that pretended it wasn't a romance, it had gotten a bit on her nerves.

Naturally, the sword found that amusing as well. She held the apple core between her thumb and ring finger, spinning it idly around and looking for a bin to put it in. It was probably the sort of city where it was normal just to drop it on the ground, but Ariana liked things to be tidy. Life was messy enough, anyway.

Bats

Post by Bats » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:37 am

To many, the sight of an armor-clad guardsman brandishing a large blade may have been an intimidating sight, if a familiar one. To the man of stone however, it was neither. As far as it was concerned, he was just another squishy human, if one with a not as squishy shell, and that sword may as well have been a dull stick, so it paid little mind whenever the angry little thing started barking. When he put its hand on it, however, it took notice.

There was something to be said for the bravery of that guardsman. It was clear he had seen many things in his time protecting the city, even at least one other golem. Perhaps the last one he ran into was more docile, but it was still foolish of him to think he could drag it around like a lost child. It didn't move, no matter how hard he tugged, and instead put its massive hand over his wrist. Then, perhaps squeezing a little harder than intended, it lifted him up and into the air until they were face-to-face.

"THIS ONE IS NO PET, FLESH-THING, CERTAINLY NOT YOURS, AND IT DOES NOT LIKE BEING TOUCHED." Its booming voice announced, then it released his likely broken wrist and dropped him to the ground.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:48 pm

The guard screamed as the golem hoisted him off the ground, his dangling feet kicking frantically for any purchase. The most he'd ever dealt with before were petty criminals and the occasional drunk vagrant, never something of this clear and present level of danger. His sword fell to the ground with a clangor. He made no motion to try and reach for it, instead wiggling and wailing and whimpering to be let go.

When he was finally dropped, he scrambled to his feet, holding a broken wrist tightly to his chest.

"Y-you... y-" he stammered for a moment, then turned tail, kicking up rocks and dust in his wake. "Guards! Guards, to arms! Rogue golem! To arms!"
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:47 pm

It might not have been the quietest street that Ariana had ever been on, but at least the sounds involved were all the standard background murmur of a marketplace. That was the case, at least, until the shouting began. The other shouting, anyway. Marketplaces all seemed to involve shouting, but there was quite the difference between hawking questionable produce and the sounds of genuine distress.

Cleanliness might have been next to godliness, but Ariana wasn't ready to join the heavenly host just yet. She dropped the apple core on the ground when the clamor began and took the blade off of her shoulder, landing it point-first on the ground with surprising lightness. The pavement sparked beneath the tip, and she settled her grip and followed the sound towards the open square. The obvious source of disruption was in the form of a large stone creature holding up a guardsman who probably would have seemed a lot bigger were he not being held aloft by a gangling golem.

Ain't the first one I've seen, but the girl hasn't been around as long. World's still new and shiny to her, just like those armor plates. She stays at the outskirts a minute, debating what to do. Might be a ruckus, but it ain't hers. She's the newcomer here, better off letting the guards handle the situations. No harm being a bystander, though, so we find a place where we can watch the debacle unfold. Ain't half a minute later when she starts moving forward.

Hold up, Spark, what're you doing?

Ariana didn't think she needed to dignify that with an answer, as what she was doing was quite obvious: she was walking towards the open place in the square where people had made emphatic room for the golem, as the released guard scrambled away to sound the alarm.

You ain't a hero, Spark.

She might have thought she was one sometimes, but that didn't mean she didn't know good advice when she heard it. Best thing to do was to get out of there while she could, stay low. No sense getting involved in other people's business, she sure didn't want them involved in hers. That's why she was gonna walk away.

Ariana might have put up with the sword narrating her escapades, and she might have put up with it giving her advice, but when it combined the two, it got on her nerves in a hurry. "Quiet," she hissed softly. The word pulsed out through the marketplace, and it fell suddenly silent for a moment. Oops. That happened sometimes. Ariana didn't do it on purpose. That... didn't exactly mean it wasn't her fault.

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:06 am

Rowan turns, hearing the cries of a distressed guard. Looking past him; he stops and momentarily stares, speechless, at the golem. Regaining his composure, he rallies four of the nearby guards and runs to the scene, ordering one of them to give the injured guard treatment. He then walks up to the golem, minding his distance, and looks up at him as two of the other guards move to clear the civilians. The third, a sergeant armed with a large hammer, stays next to him.

"Excuse me, my... Sir? Do you have any idea what you've done?" he asks the it, keeping his tone level, almost calm. "That man was a guard, a person tasked with defending this city, and I am his boss. It is my job to protect him. Now, I would like to settle this with words, give you a chance to explain why you did what you did." With that, he briefly looks back at the injured private. Not one he recognized, though he was likely yet another rookie aiming to nab a big one. He's lucky it was just his hand.
Image I am Shinigami, the local god of death.

vvv Important site links vvv
Da Rules | Da FAQs | Da Staff

Shameless art plug: Visit my DeviantArt!

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:23 pm

The guards arrived very quickly. In a city this size, that was either a very good sign, or a very bad one. Although, in retrospect, in most cities the guards would arrive quickly to something so central as the marketplace. It was how quickly they responded to the offshoot districts that tended to be more definitive.

Regardless, the guards who arrived seemed professional. Two of them were already moving to clear out the civilian presence. Ariana figured that technically meant her, but she gave the guard a calm, even look when he met her eyes, and between that and the oversized sword, he didn't seem like he was too worried about encouraging her to leave. Ariana wasn't exactly sure how to help, but for now she figured she would just be present, and trust the wisdom of the guards, and if they happened to need some assistance, she would be there. And if they didn't need assistance, then she'd be there anyway, just to see what happened.

The guard-captain's tone was calm and even, which was definitely a good sign. It would have been very easy for it to be the sort of city where the guard came in all a-bluster and cut down whatever was causing them to be roused from their cups of coffee this morning. She gave the captain a smile, which she wasn't sure he'd see. Her look for the golem was more quiet, but the hints of a pleasant smile were there as well. After all, she had her own experiences with alternate forms of sentience. A golem wasn't necessarily a bad thing. This one seemed... not evil. Just stronger than it needed to be, and Ariana had the sense that it relied on that strength in a way that suggested it had never had anything else to rely on.

Girl always was making up crazy stories about everyone she encountered. No telling if she was right or not, but at least this one was too big for her to try to keep it as a pet. Not like those dogs. Ariana adjusted her stance, and gave the blade a kick, carefully tempered to be light enough that she wouldn't hurt herself, yet solid enough to make a point. Ariana had gotten very good at judging precisely how hard to kick her sword. Unfortunately, it never seemed to do any good. She scowled in its general direction before returning her eyes to the scene, wondering what the golem was going to make of the guard-captain.

Ariana thought he was kind of cute. The guard-captain, that was, not the golem. The golem was... well, she supposed he was well-built, if that was a compliment to golems, but not in the sort of way that she'd think about letting him buy her a drink.

Oh, for the lost gods' sakes, Spark.

Bats

Post by Bats » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:35 am

The golem watched as the fool of a guard stumbled away screaming. Good riddance, was its first thought, but it seemed that the situation would only escalate when several similarly-adorned men appeared, half of which moved to clear the area. Setting the battleground? It clenched its colossal fists, prepared to squish them all like bugs, but one of them instead dared to speak to it, though there was one standing near him with a hammer that didn't look quite as diplomatic. It did notice the one civilian that failed to move with the others, and as its gaze settled on her and her massive sword, she gave it a small smile. It didn't quite understand the gesture, but it was still somewhat set at ease, and relaxed slightly.

"SIR?!" It repeated, sounding just as outraged as when the guard tried to arrest him. "IT IS NOT A SIR. ITS NAME..." It did not finish, instead going silent and staring past Rowan. When the guard captain finished speaking and looked back toward his subordinate, its gaze followed. "THAT MAN IS A FOOL WHO TRIED TO APPREHEND THIS ONE FOR SIMPLY STANDING WHERE IT IS. IT COULD HAVE TURNED HIM INTO A THIN RED PASTE BUT CHOSE RESTRAINT. IT IS NO THREAT. DO NOT PROVOKE IT FURTHER." It went quiet once more, believing that to be sufficient.

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:11 am

No threat? Clearly, this was not true. He could've easily handled the situation with words, yet decided to use force instead. With a sigh, Rowan looks up to the golem and speaks, "You could simply have spoken to him, explained that you were not a threat. Instead, you broke his arm and treated him like some worthless animal. He is, admittedly, a fool for not questioning you first, but that does not give you the right to hurt him. Does it?" he questions it in the same calm tone, cocking his head to the side. It felt strange talking to a golem. As far as he knew, most were the servants or guards of powerful wizards, or city protectors. Yet here this one was, standing in the city marketplace, and looking older than the city itself. He didn't even recognize the markings on it's cloth.

He then takes notice of the girl behind the golem. Why was she not ushered back? She wasn't a guard. He would have to question her later. For the time being, he shifted his focus back to the golem, watching it, waiting for it's response.

Bats

Post by Bats » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:15 am

The golem froze for a second as it pondered the question. It remembered glimpses of a simpler time, when all it did was fight. That was its purpose. Things were no longer so clear. "THIS ONE...IS NOT GOOD WITH WORDS." It admitted. "IT DID NOT INTEND TO HARM THE FOOL. IT UNDERESTIMATED HOW PATHETIC AND FRAGILE YOU CREATURES ARE, A MISTAKE IT WILL AVOID IN THE FUTURE." It said plainly. As a being made of stone and magic, it had incredible strength, and as upset as it had been, the young guard was lucky his hand wasn't crushed to splinters. Restraint was not its strong suit, but at the same time, it was not interested in violence if it could help it. The last thing it wanted was to make enemies of this place's supposed protectors.

In truth, the stone being was simply lost, out of place, like a fish with no water. It hadn't the slightest idea of what place, if any, it had in the world, but a human actually speaking to it and treating it with some measure of respect gave it a spark of hope, though it still had its doubts. "YOU SPEAK OF WORTH AND RIGHTS, CONCEPTS THAT HAVE MEANING TO YOU, BUT THIS ONE? WHAT RIGHTS DOES IT HAVE?"

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:39 am

Rowan cocks his head again and thinks for a moment. While it was true that the other races now had more rights than before, he had no idea if this applied to golems. They were artificial beings, created by magic users to serve various duties. But this one was at least moderately intelligent and apparently possessed its own will. As such, he saw no reason that it should be neglected civil rights. He looks up at it and smiles.

"The same as anyone else, as far as I'm concerned. However," he adds, his tone becoming more serious. " As such, I do expect you to pay for injuring my soldier. Now, I'm no idiot. I know I have next to no chance of defeating you in battle - at least, not without magical aid. So, I give you an offer. Work for the guard until the injured man is fully healed, to pay for your crime. It is a fair offer, in my opinion."