The Streets of Azuria

Go shopping! Open a store! Go bankrupt! Die in poverty!
Nyx

Re: The Streets of Azuria

Post by Nyx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:23 am

He noticed it almost at once, the twitch of her one good ear, teeth slightly bared in a sneer before she restrained herself. It was curious to watch, but he knew to take caution as someone approached from the streets.

"I'm intrigued by your offer," she turned to look at him, "and would be willing to discuss more in detail," a pause, the sneer creeping back up to her lips, " But it seems I have another guest I must see to. If you would like to step inside our home...," and she pulled back the curtain to let him in, apologizing, but he simply ducked his head and went inside, offering his bag to the kids.

"Hello, little ones," and he offered them a smile, Adrastos flapping his wings, rather annoyed at Wardyr. When they opened the bag, he reached in and plucked a glazed slice of sweetbread and handed it to a particularly young girl, no older than six. Nodding to the sack,

"Go on now, there should be plenty." He sat with his legs crossed, watching them as his mind reached out and found the Kit's mind, an impression he was familiar with by now, flaring with emotion - anger, confusion, pride. He waited quietly, smiling and answering the kids questions, his raven deciding to pace the floor infront of him.
I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes, til I understand or go blind.

Veilstar
Gold

Post by Veilstar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:58 am

The smirk that played on Arnice's lips grew slightly bigger as her question was ignored. Her own ears twitched underneath her hood as she heard what the kitten said. Someone was offering them work it seemed, gave them more of a reason to decline her offer. She had to be sure the Kit would end her ways of stealing though. Couldn't trust the kitten to not screw something up and having everything she's worked for go up in flames." You are a hard one to find Kitten. People have been looking for you for awhile huh? That friend of yours slipped up though, my people followed him here after they lost you. We can finally talk though." Arnice said still with the same friendly tone, making slow, decisive steps towards Zagara.

The wolf made no move towards her weapons or anything. Showing that she was only there to talk and figure some things out. Things would only get dirty if Zagara did something stupid. From the way things have gone though Zagara wasn't stupid, she was smart." You know the rule of this city. Set in place long before I was born, long before you were born. So how is this gonna play out Kitten?" Arnice said with a cocky grin hidden beneath her hood. Surely the Kit knew about the law of the land set in place by those born before them. One had to pay the toll to earn their keep.
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:37 am

Zagara was ready to kill the woman right there. But it didn't matter. Their home would be moved elsewhere as soon as the filthy bitch left. The woman was no different than a noble, thinking she is better than everyone else. Her ears were pinned instinctively to her head. "I want nothing to do with your filthy criminal organization... stealing to get rich, killing anyone, whether they be highborne or lowborne. You're nothing but a rich person stealing from, and bullying, those who have nothing. I have nothing to give you, nor will I ever. You are not lacking in any sort of way. You have everything you ever need. All you have to do is just force someone to give it to you. Even the nobles don't try to steal from us." She was glaring daggers at the woman. She would rather have the company of Sully.

The children were estatic at the amount of food they were being given. They had never seen so much bread in their lives. They all thanked him happily, the older ones starting to split up the bread and hand each pieces to the others, making sure the younger ones got more. Even the little girl with the sweetbread thanked him and shared with the others, the older ones letting the younger ones have the treat among themselves.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

Veilstar
Gold

Post by Veilstar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:03 am

Arnice wasn't pleased in the slightest to hear the allegations being placed on her by the Kit. It was obvious the woman didn't know how things had changed and how she ran things down there. The wolf shook her head a few times sighing as she did so." Kitten you wound me a bit. It seems you don't know a thing about how things are done anymore or how I do things." Arnice stated as she continued to slowly move forward with careful steps. She knew the Kit was dangerous and likely armed considering where they stayed. The wolf was a bit annoyed at being called rich and being compared to the noble whores.

" You see Kitten, since I came to power I've done a few things differently. You see, the tribute is slightly an option. You don't have to pay a thing of you are willing to speak up if you hear something. I haven't once tried to steal from you Kitten. In fact I've kept people from killing you sweetheart. I'm not bullying you or anything. I'm here to offer protection and food for the little ones you take care of." Arnice said with a caring tone to her voice as her head nudged to point in the direction of where the children were. Her face was still masked by the hood and so was her expression." I may have money now...but I can tell you I don't give two shits about it. You see Kitten I'm working on making Azuria a better place for people like you and me. Why not take a stand against the people that casted you aside like an animal? Why stand against people like you who have nothing and are simply doing what they have to to get by? Aren't you tired of being treated like some filthy creature, don't you want a chance for something better?" Arnice found herself getting a bit carried away and shut up for a few moments waiting to see what Zagara had to say.

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:20 am

"Slightly an option... but it's still the same, do what you want me to do or die. You must have misheard me, though. I said I want nothing to do with a criminal organization. And of course you haven't tried, because I haven't had anything," she nearly hissed. "I've been on these streets protecting the less fortunate for my whole life. They don't need someone like you who only wants little pawns to do her bidding. To use them like toys or tools." she then started laughing. The woman didn't care about money? AND is working on making Azuria a better place? "You... trying to make this place better for us? Don't make me laugh! I don't see any effort on your part. I don't see any orphanages having been commissioned to be built. I don't see you putting a roof over these kids' heads. Or feeding them. Oh no, not unless you get something in return. You can't do anything good just because it's a good thing to do. I don't make profit out of making sure these kids keep dry, and eat. I don't ask them for anything in return. But here you are. Giving me an ultimatum. Do what you want me to do, or you'll kill me. You don't care about our wellbeing. You just are trying to bribe me with something you know we need."

Zagara was fed up. This woman had the audacity to try to tell her she was making the world a better place, when she won't do anything unless she got something in return. She was just trying to tell her what she wanted to hear, trying to prey on needs, to get her to do what she wanted. It only made her hate the woman more. She had no selfless bone in her body. Selfish and rotten to the core. Her actions today only solidified it.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

Veilstar
Gold

Post by Veilstar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 am

Arnice sighed as she listened to Zagara laugh and actually mock what she was saying. The woman didn't know a thing about what she was saying and it angered the wolf. She didn't like the way Zagara stated she did nothing for them, she wasn't willing to do something for the children. There she was though trying to hold the other back that wanted to kill the Kit. She didn't understand that things had to be done certain ways or people would get suspicious and ask questions." You don't see things being built because you are above ground kitten! I made a place where children can sleep safely, there's a place down there where they're fed, given love and actually taught things that could help them have a better life. Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. And I am working on making this place better! Change takes time though. In order to make change things have to be done, in order to things information and coin must be gathered. There's a reason I'm coming to you personally than sending in the brutes Kitten! I don't want anything to happen to those children, I don't want them to end up having to live the lives you and I are forced to live." Arnice shouted feeling her inner rage trying to come out but she tried to keep it at bay.

It infuriated her to hear someone mocking her goals. Didn't Zagara see they were treated the same way above ground? Common folk past her by on the street calling her a mutt. The woman stopped walking for a moment taking a few deep breaths trying to quell her anger. Zagara was really trying her patience here. Didn't the Kit see she was trying to keep her and the children alive?" Kitten look....I'll take care of your tribute myself, all you have to do is take care of the children. The only thing I've wanted from you is the same thing you've been doing. I have orphans down there, your only tribute would be to take care of them. Help them have better lives." Arnice stated after finally finding the words she'd been searching for since she started walking.

To even prove her point the wolf took her hood off to show the look in her eyes. So that Zagara could see she was trying to tell the truth. For years the Kit proved she knew what she was doing when it came to kids. The woman wouldn't owe them anything but to simply care for the children the Underground has taken in. If Zagara didn't accept she didn't have any choice but to have to ask the Kit to stop stealing and work out a deal...that or to have her killed. If it was what had to be done then so be it. She could say she tried and wash her hands of this mess.

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:28 am

"So they're to grow up, without the sun, around people who steal and kill for a living? All I've heard about the underground is it's full of blood thirsty monsters who have to be controlled or they'll go rabid and destroy the world, or some such. And that's the word on the streets. All we above ground see is what your people do. And what we see isn't good. What we hear isn't good. You tell me I have to go down there to see it. Last time I trusted someone from your little group, I lost most of my ear and almost lost an eye." She scoffed. "And there's the talk about 'Tribute' again. I don't know you. I don't trust you. And all I have is your word. Which happens to be the word of a criminal. Who happens to lead other criminals. Someone who will kill me if I don't go with what you want me to do. Which I know you would do. If you killed me, you'd be proving EVERYTHING I've been saying was right. Why would I want to associate myself with you? People already think I'm going to end up a full time criminal because of the slaver who stole me and raised me. I am not going to prove those people right. I'm going to show them I'm worth something. But you know what. We're done here. I have someone who's going to give me a job. And if any of your people try to rob me, every single one of them will end up in the ditch, dead. Because no one is going to get in my way of showing these kids the right way to earn money. That no matter how shitty people treat us, we will prove we are better by proving we are worth something. Without force, or threats, or murder, or robbing people blind."

Zagara was ready to defend herself. For the first time in her nineteen years on the streets, someone was going to let her work. And of course, it was the same day this woman decided to show herself and try to ruin it all. She wasn't going to let this woman kill her because she wasn't going to go with her. Unlike her, she wanted to take care of all of the kids. There was no ultimatum or having to be 'underground' for her to do it. She would take care of them all. She would take care of the orphans, and the other poor people.

Veilstar
Gold

Post by Veilstar » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:58 am

Silently the White Wolf listened calmly and carefully to Zagara. Intently listening to every word the women said. She knew most of what she said was true, the Underground didn't have a good reputation above ground. It didn't matter though as it was a means to an end. Hearing the things Zagara was saying though made the young wolf smile ever so slightly. So she had finally found someone willing to give her honest work after all. Perhaps the two could come to a deal of sorts with that then, prove that her word is worth something. Arnice stood there silently thinking about the words Zagara said, wishing she had a chance just like her. A chance before she submitted herself to the devil. It was to late for her now though, things were in motion and there was no going back.

" Hahahahahahahhaahhahahahahahah!" Arnice began laughing loudly and strangely it sounded a bit happy. A tear came to her eye as she wiped it away and looked back at Zagara." I like you Kitten. Wish we met before I started walking my current path to hell. Could've shown me there was another way. You say you have honest work now! You promise to stop stealing you won't hear from my people ever again. I give you my word, you and your kids won't be touched. If you're willing, I've got a few kids who could use someone to show them the right path. Let me prove to you that my word means something Kitten." Arnice shouted over to Zagara wanting to make sure the Kit heard the deal. To her it seemed the best option, even better than the one she originally offered. She hoped that the Kit would look past everything and seeing as the best option for both sides. Nobody had to die and the kids would be taken care of. Plus Zagara wouldn't have to ever worry about the Underground ever again. During the whole time she had been talking Arnice was walking closer and when she was somewhat close she stopped. The White Wolf extended her hand to the Kit with a somewhat hopeful smile. There were no strings or tricks attached to this deal.

Nyx

Post by Nyx » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:19 pm

Despite the argument outside, he motioned to the kids to sit around him, his smile making little crows feet at the corners of his eyes. Setting his gnarled staff across his lap, his gaze lingered on each of them in turn, a touch of nostalgia filling his chest with equal parts hope and sadness. But he took a breath,

"I may be an old man now," and he offered a playful wink at that, "but once upon a time, I was no bigger than you over there," he pointed a finger at the smallest of the bunch, and was rewarded with a giggle, though the older kids continued to look rather uncomfortable with the shouting going on outside. He continued onward despite this,

"I'm going to sing you all a little song my mother sung to me when I was just a boy. It's always helped me, and I hope that it'll help you all in turn," and so he hummed a melody lightly, closing his eyes while he caught the tune in his mind.

"Said the Thief to the Moon,
"I'll extinguish your light soon,
I'll put an end to all the light that you shed on this world in its darkened state."
Said the Moon to the Thief,
"You know not of what you seek,
You'll doom the world to wander the night with no light to guide the paths that men seek."
"Oh, but all the wealth in the world will be mine...
without a means of defense for all those blind.
My very existence is a race to attain wealth,
for the thief's only loyalty in life is to the devil and himself."
"The earth will rise up and devour all that you are.
The skies will call forth thunderous storms from afar.
When you're dead, there'll be no grave to remember your name.
Your greed brings your end and there's no one but yourself to blame."

By the song's end, his voice was no higher than a whisper. The melody itself had a touch of arrogance at the beginning, but quickly turned somber, some divine or unearthly aspect of his voice tugging at the heart strings as if by the deft fingers of a master harpist. You could attribute this to the whimsy and untamed nature of the Fae blood that coursed through his blood, or simply the unfiltered emotion resonating from within him. And as he finished he looked at them all with a smile, Adrastos finding his shoulder once more.

"Now, you may not be old enough to understand now, but I think that the basic idea of the song is that... even through darkness, light will find a way. There will always be people that stand for the people that cannot."

Wiping a tear from one of the older kids, he ruffled their dirty hair and smiled.

"There was once an order of knights sworn to protect Azuria and it's people, especially the poor. Would you like to become knights?" To that, the large black and white raven squawked, looking at them each in turn.
I'll stare straight into the sun and I won't close my eyes, til I understand or go blind.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:46 pm

Was all city life this delightfully exciting? A crime lord had come to shake down an orphanage, as she was passing by, and she had only been in the city a day! Why, would she find a body the guardsmen were choosing to overlook within the back alleys next? As Laura leaned against the wall across the way, she found that the self-importance of the wolf made it so she couldn't help but to speak.

“Why, doesn't that just sound too good to be true.” The shade from the slight overhang of the roof was nice, it kept the light away at least. In an idle gesture Laura slowly spun her parasol in a clockwise motion. In the crook of her right arm as she rested it against her chest, a parcel of some brown material wrapped in coarse twine rested.

She made no motion to close the gap between herself and the other two women, seemingly content to maintain the section of wall which was currently propping her up. “Just like that, and all your troubles will fly away. Though, I suppose it helps when you happen to be the one causing the problem.” She chucked, a faint, airy movement of air through her nose.

“Why, it might be terribly impertinent for me to cut in, but I have a piece of advice. Your offer of peace and help might be better received if you don't preface it with threats of death.” She smiled, an amused turn of her her lip while her parasol continued its lazy spin. “It might just be me as a listener, but would you trust someone so readily when not but a minute ago they were threatening you with a shallow ditch to hold your bones?”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III