[lowlaville] A Meeting, for Better or Worse

Abandoned threads and finished plots.
Shinigami
Azuria Mod

[lowlaville] A Meeting, for Better or Worse

Post by Shinigami » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:15 am

Rowan had set out on patrol about an hour ago, though nothing seemed to really be out of place today. He noted the appearance of a performer of some sort, and several new faces, but this was normal for any city. It seemed that today would be pretty calm. He decided to stop near a stall and keep watch over the area. It would be getting busy soon. Perfect time to trip up pickpockets and thieves.

Much better than sitting at a desk all day, he thought to himself. With that, he placed his hands on his sides and took another look over the stalls and their patrons. If he was lucky, he might also be able to pick up on some leads through the local grapevine. The marketplace was a great place to catch the current gossip.
Image I am Shinigami, the local god of death.

vvv Important site links vvv
Da Rules | Da FAQs | Da Staff

Shameless art plug: Visit my DeviantArt!

lowlaville

Re: [lowlaville] A Meeting, for Better or Worse

Post by lowlaville » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:09 pm

She...needed a moment to herself. A moment to relax and recollect, but it was impossible in the populated capital of Azuria. Her eyes scanned the surroundings as she took calculated steps toward no particular. She had none. It was just part of her regular day job, as you might call it. Right now, walking through the market, you would be seeing a long white haired maiden, her hair tied behind her back in a phony tail, not short, not very tall either, just taller than your average woman is what Clara was. She wore regular rags and pants underneath state issued chainmail and armor, the basic kind. Those neck braces were annoying to wear and she'd often hang them lose. A pair of long swords were strapped behind around her hips. These were samurai swords, not state issued, but they were heirlooms belonging to the village elder.

Not many paid any attention to the woman. A sea of faces and the sound of steps amidst the heat and dust of the day just naturally gave her enough space as she strolled through. This was routine and she didn't speak unless spoken to. A few days ago, she'd seen a minor crime, a man was trying to rob a stall, it was early morning and he claimed he needed bread. He reeked of Ale, Booze and whatever they sold in dark places and taverns. The man likely didn't even know what he was doing. That was about as exciting the job got for Clara Blackwood. She pressed on, humming a tune to herself.

That was until she came across someone extraordinary, in that, she hadn't seen this person before, standing next to a stall, with a look that meant business, and he was observing, just like her. What she didn't realize was this man's identity as a higher up of the city guard. Normally, she wouldn't let her curiosity stop her, but the appearance of this man on a mundane morning routine was the perfect excuse to go and see what was up. And so, she did, walking up to him, her head held high, of course. "Never seen you around before, new in town?" Though to be frank, she was the new one.

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:01 am

Rowan saw the woman before she'd even considered approaching him - the weapons had caught his eye. Not only were they unusual in these parts, but they were also quite a bit bigger than what the average civilian would carry. She was also wearing leather and chain and, upon closer inspection, a guard sash. A member of the outer guard? He'd never seen her before; that much he was certain of.

"Never seen you around before, new in town?" she asks, prompting a quizzical look on his behalf. Last time he'd heard that was when he actually was new to town. He'd also not expected a newcomer to be asking him such a thing.

"I should be asking you that question, ma'am," he responds. "My name is Rowan Suttrow, and I'm the captain the city guard. You are?" With that, he removes his hands from his sides and approaches the tall woman, his scale armor clinking with each stride.

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:37 am

"AAAAAAAH." A flush of peach blossom covered her face as she came to realize who she was talking to. This was the man!, and she couldn't help but take a few steps back and stiffen. "Apologies for my ignorance sir, Clara Blackwood, I'm a new recruit to the City Guard's Outer Patrol Division, 2nd batch, serving under Captain Lorin," She was new in town, and had never seen the man, but sure as hell had heard his name before. He was the top authority in the City Guard, below perhaps only the Palace Guards, whatever they were called. She brushed aside a few locks of white hair behind her ears as she spoke, admittedly quite nervous. "I'm from the Outlands, sir." She added, before meeting his gaze again, and awaited a response. Inwardly though, she was scorned. There only came one chance to make a good impression on someone, and she'd likely gone and screwed that one up.

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:21 am

"It's quite alright, Private," he responds. "You're not from here." More pressing to him was the reason she was here. What was an outer guard doing in the city? Is she a messenger? Did something happen? Maybe she was just transferred. Certainly she wouldn't abandon her post for no reason.

"Are you here on assignment?" he asks, tilting his head slightly to the right.

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:32 am

"In town for a few days..." to repair some armor and the likes but she wasn't going to tell him that. That's the problem with city dwellers. They ill realized the lack of necessary facilities or accomodations in the country side, and were always quick to ask questions on the first sign of something that they weren't acquainted with. Her gaze sharpened after the initial embarrassment. "And I have nothing to do in town in the mean time...so putting some drunkards behind bar seemed like a good idea," And an exercise to keep her vigilance honed. She was due to head out into the Outlands soon, and countryside had a lot of things that required extreme vigil, and office kept on piling her with more and more reports that needed investigation, cattle gone missing, random attacks on farm animals and raided barns, things you might expect in the Outlands, Clara had a full job.

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:22 am

"Well, besides the drunkards, would you mind keeping your eyes open for a few other... Things?" he asks her, thinking for a moment on the last part of the sentence. He wasn't quite sure how to put it, considering the ordeal was quite unusual, even in regards to the supernatural.

"We've had some strange occurrences around here, the strangest of them happening during the winter festival. We had numerous reports of... For lack of a better word, 'ghosts' causing a general panic throughout the city. Reports from various guards confirmed these claims." With this, he leans toward her and and lowers his tone. His voice is a mere whisper at this point, his expression grim.

"What's more, the spectral rampage seemed to coincide with an attack on the palace. My soldiers have been ordered to listen for any information they can gather on the subject, and I need you to do the same. Can you do this?" He stands straight again, looking her in the eyes. It was perfectly clear that he was serious about everything that he had said, despite the fantastical nature of the claims. Speaking of gathering information, he did still have something he had to do today...

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:38 am

"Sure boss, as long as I'm here..." which is honestly not that long considering she was planning to move out as soon as possible. Getting into politics was never a good idea, and on top of that, the palace had its own guards, not to mention the city guard who were far more adequate to deal with this ghost situation he was telling her about. She nodded though, because even if her boss was saying it, she wasn't really a city guard, and her duties fell elsewhere in Azuria. She'd keep it on her mind but, Clara wasn't about to abandon her quest for a Blacksmith to chase ghosts and demons, really far fetched beings to say the least.

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:52 am

"Anything you can do will be appreciated," he says before taking another look around the market. It was about three hours past noon. Almost time for the shift change. Not seeing much going on, he decides it would be fine for him to head out early. Perhaps he would treat the newcomer to a drink? It was the least he could do, having just embarrassed her a few moments ago.

"Would you like some tea? I could show you some of the city along the way, to help you get your bearings," he offers, smiling slightly. He wasn't used to company other than messengers or other work-related guests, so it would be a nice change for him.

lowlaville

Post by lowlaville » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:37 pm

"Tea? Hmm," Clara smiled, presumably thinking about the offer. "Depend whose asking. Wouldn't mind drinking with a friend--to be." Didn't need to get in complex with her boss on first encounter. That would be...complex. "Pretend we are just normal people having a quiet time together?"