Mach's Junk Ideas (Go away)

For testing and seeing how things look on the site.
Mach2

Mach's Junk Ideas (Go away)

Post by Mach2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:41 pm

Half-developed brainstorms that I need to post somewhere other than the 'notes' app on my phone, which is strictly for recipes, grocery lists, and tracking the distance of my high-jump approach.

Image storage, character ideas, code tests, etc.

Mach2

Re: Mach's Junk Ideas (Go away)

Post by Mach2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:00 pm

September Character
Concept: Brilliant college student augmented with cybernetic weapons.

• Cybernetic augmentations
  • Left arm: hand-cannon. Things to consider: cooling system? Where does the heat go when it fires? (maybe the atomic domain, if collaboration with Promethean ends up happening). Also, nerves. Firing a small missile out of your hand probably doesn't feel too nice. Induced decrease in sensory neuron activity? This would also make her a better fighter, but more susceptible to damage. Image
  • Right arm: super strong. HULC reference pic. [spoiler]Image
  • What even is this finger contraption? Is it a gun? Is it a drill? Is it a speaker? Help??? Maybe this is also on the HULC arm. Image
  • Eye is subtle enough to pass for biological at first glance, but is augmented. Hand-cannon sights feed along a digital relay to this eye, which is then set up to process to the brain. Additionally, eye can snap photos, night-vision, and zoom in pretty darn good.Image
  • STEEL FOR BONES YESSSSSSS. Large sections of her skeleton have been replaced with a more durable metallic framework.
  • MEGA MIGHTY LEGS. This was her initial design. She just wanted a set of legs to replace the set rendered useless by whatever accident she was involved in.
Character sheet:
Two snippets of flavour-text. One from pre-augmentation, one from post.

Cliché. Some sort of accident resulted in Britney losing the use of her legs. As a Master's Biomedical Engineering student, she had the tech

I think it works. It's a trade-off. The government needs a vessel for their new cybernetic augmentations. She needs new legs. She has the tech developed for the new legs, but she doesn't have the money or the team to actually perform the procedure. Government agrees to give her the legs she designed, in exchange for her signing on to the weapons augmentation program.
Collaboration with Promethean to fund the development/application of her designs?

"And what applications do you foresee for this technology?"
"I'm sorry, is that question supposed to be a set-up? Me. After everything I've been through in the last few years, I've earned it. If I develop this tech, I get to use it."

Promethean Employee Applications - September 2016 Interviews - Britney Sommers

"Al right, let's get started. For disclosure, this interview is being recorded for record-keeping purposes. Would you go ahead and state your name?"
"Britney Sommers."

"And could you tell me a bit about yourself, Britney? Maybe walk me through your academic career?"
"Sure. I did my undergraduate studies at the University of Nebraska, got my bachelor's degree in bioengineering in 2010. I did grad studies there, too, focusing on biosystems. Initially I was working on developing a more refined system of tools for remote surgery, but I ran into a few delays during the first year. I ended up coming back in 2012 with a new project, focusing on prosthetic design."

"Delays?"
"Car crash. I actually had feet until about five years ago."

"Of course, I'm so sor-"
"It's fine. Anyways, I'd been involved with a design team for a fairly basic bionic arm in Nebraska. It was one of those undergraduate research competitions. Nothing too fancy, this thing just had to be able to turn a doorknob. But it gave me enough background that I was able to find an advisor for my prosthetics project pretty easily. That, and the fact that you can't really turn down a student in a wheelchair when she says she wants to design robot legs."

"And when did you complete your graduate studies?"
"I just defended my thesis in May."

"Congratulations. How did it go?"
"Well enough, I guess. I got my diploma. Now I've got two pieces of paper. Still no job."

"Well, you're here to change that today, right? Tell me what you bring to the table for Promethean."
"Did you get the chance to look through the package I included with my resume?"

"I did. Tell me more about it."
"It's the outlines for the MACH upgrade package. Motility Aid and Cybernetics Hub. It's still in the design phase. My lab in Nebraska doesn't have the equipment to make prototypes beyond the legs, never mind the funding to actually implement it in a living system. The legs work. I'd like them to work better, but they work. Everything else I've developed is in there, and there's a lot of room for expansion. With the resources at Promethean, I could turn MACH into something really great. Construction accidents, wounded soldiers, cancer patients, car crash victims. There's almost two million people in the United States who would benefit from better prosthetics."

"It's an admirable cause. But as I'm sure you're aware, Promethean is primarily a weapons manufacturer. Many potential applicants have ethical reservations when it comes to designing weaponry. How do you feel about it?"
"I don't have any issues with it. The last appendix in the MACH documents outlines the potential for weaponized prosthetics. A lot of people don't grasp the fact that there's nothing inherently wrong with weapon development. Have you heard of IG Farben?"

"I haven't."
'They were a German company in the thirties and forties, doing chemical and pharmaceutical work. Some really good work, too. IG Farben scientists discovered the first sulfa antibiotics. Revolutionized medicine. They invented the process for making polyurethane. Mostly they were a dye-manufacturing company, actually. They developed the chemistry behind azo dyes, so people could have more colourful clothes. At its prime, IG Farben was the biggest company in Europe. The biggest chemical manufacturer anywhere in the world."

"And how does this tie in with your views on weapons development?"
"Well, IG Farben also did some work with cyanide-based pesticides. You've heard of Zyklon B?"

"...yes."
"That was IG Farben. Zyklon B was supposed to be a pesticide. Until the German government realized it could do more work for them in extermination camps. A dye-manufacturing company was responsible for the gas that suffocated millions of people. Anyway, my point is...science isn't good or evil. Science just is. It's the people behind the research who decide how its going to be used. They're the ones who have moral codes, and they're the ones who decide the applications. If I'm not the one to be designing weapons, someone else will be. So yeah, I'd rather it be me. At least I know where I stand when it comes to applications."

"And what would that be? Where would this technology you're planning to develop be applied?"
"Is that supposed to be a trick question? Me. God knows I've earned it, everything I've been through in the last few years. Every time there's a meta attack on the news, I'm stuck at home, staring at the television and wishing there was something I could do that would actually help. I didn't win any kind of genetic lottery like they did. I don't have powers. But that doesn't mean I should sit back and watch. If I design this tech, I get to use it."

"Hm. You and the boss might get along."

Mach2

Post by Mach2 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:18 am

-
-
-
-
THE DIV BOXES ARE DRUNK
-
-
-
-

Mach2

Post by Mach2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 pm

SECURE SERVER: PROMETHEAN PERSONNEL FILES
-

NAME:
EMPLOYEE SINCE:

Britney Sommers
Female
04/29/1989
10/01/2016

Previous Positions:
Junior Researcher: Cybernetics
10/01/2016 - 01/08/2017
Research Team Lead: M.A.C.H.
01/09/2017 - 06/01/2018

Current Position:
Field Testing: M.A.C.H. Package
Employee Photo
-
M.A.C.H. Package Components
Motility Aid and Cybernetics Hub
-
Please click images for full resolution.
Project Summary:

The MACH Package is intended as a complete set of cybernetic and mechanical augmentations for amputees. Complete designs have been developed to replace varying severities of limb loss, ranging from substitute hands and feet to full artificial limbs. The project is currently being field-tested. Following successful human trials, M.A.C.H. elements will be marketed to the general public. Target demographics include, but are not limited to: cancer patients, war veterans, motor accident victims, and individuals suffering congenital birth defects.

Promethean employee Britney Sommers has been outfitted with weaponized elements of the MACH package for field testing, including: HULC arm, digital patch kit, retinal tech, hand cannon, high-performance lower-leg prosthetics, and titanium skeletal supports. All components of the M.A.C.H. package are designed to be user-intuitive, illicit low immune-response, and restore greatest possible quality of life to the wearer.
-
-

HULC Arm: Heavyweight Ulnar Load Carrier
The HULC is an integrated system for the purposes of supplementing normal limb function. As much as possible, the HULC's programming seeks to mimic the natural movements of the hand and forearm while providing mechanical support. The result is a significant increase in strength and endurance, while maintaining an intuitive range of motions for the user. Early dynamometer tests have shown an increase in grip strength of more than 50kg.
Several variant models of HULC exist, each suited to support a different scenario of limb loss or muscular dystrophy. For full details on each variant, refer to Appendices 1A through 1M. Promethean employee Britney Sommers is field testing HULC Model 9.18. Model 9.18 replaces the left ulna, carpals, metacarpals, and phalanges with synthetic structures of custom alloy. Hardware, servos, wiring, and a self-contained battery are housed within the structures, which exactly replicate normal movement patterns.

Digital Patch Kit
At the request of Britney Sommers, a digital patch kit of her own design was included in the prosthetics package. It is affixed to the end of the HULC arm on her left side. Should urgent repairs be required, the patch kit includes screwdrivers, wire strippers, and a micro-scale tungsten arc welder. The patch kit also houses a diagnostics system that is integrated with the rest of Sommers' MACH package, and relays to her Retinal for H.U.D. updates.

Retinal Tech
Sommers right eye (non-dominant) has been replaced with Retinal Tech developed by senior research team members on the MACH project. Retinal systems are designed to imitate organic eyes, and are available in a variety of colours. Under normal operating conditions, at 0x zoom, the Retinal performs comparably to an organic eye, and is able to resolve human-sized objects at a distance of 2.5km. The outer lens is stationary, while the inner lenses are capable of telescoping inwards to allow a 10x optical zoom, with an additional 4x magnification by digital zoom.
The Retinal system is integrated to a secondary lens in Sommers' right palm, which serves as a viewfinder for the HandCannon. The secondary lens features a blue-laser focus and rangefinder. A pattern of programmed eyelid movements allows the user to toggle between the ocular and manual lenses.
The Retinal system also contains a microSD and is capable of photo capture and video recording, each action triggered by a specific set of eyelid movements. Full schematics are available in Appendices 2 through 4.

Primary Motility Aid:
The first component of the MACH package to be developed, the motility aids were initially custom-developed for Britney Sommers to restore lower leg function. Since the first prototype, the design has been significantly improved. Sommers is field-testing Motility Aid Model 3A, which replaces the legs from the mid-thigh.
The most important aspects taken into consideration during development were power, endurance, and lightweight construction. The legs house a self-contained battery that will provide 200 hours of use. The weight is comparable to organic legs, while the load-bearing capacity far surpasses most professional athletes. Early force-plate tests have been exceptional, and Nordic lower testing has shown smooth integration between the motility aid system and the remaining biological skeletal and muscular systems.
Visually, the movement patterns of the prosthetics are virtually indistinguishable from biological legs, and the design features a discrete profile that can be easily concealed under most articles of clothing. In most day-to-day situations, motility aid users will present as normally-functioning individuals.

Hand Cannon
The Hand Cannon represents the most versatile integrated weapon developed thus far. A variable barrel, anchored to supports along the radius, is capable of accommodating multiple ammunition types, and with specialized caseless rounds, there are no brass casings to eject. Ammunition is loaded through a port in the upper arm, and is advanced through muscular impulses from the bicep.
Multiple safety mechanisms (wrist must be flexed to 90 degrees, digits must be fully extended) ensure proper positioning of the hand before the cannon will fire. A real-time cooling system maintains a constant temperature, preventing overheating of the apparatus and eliminating the risk of damage to bodily tissues.

Additional Notes:
At Sommers' own request, sections of her skeleton (seven pairs of ribs, cranium, femurs, pelvis, clavicle, and vertebrae) have been augmented with titanium supports. Sommers was recorded rationalizing her decision with the following quote:
"How am I supposed to test this package if my bones snap like twigs the first time I take a hit? No thanks. This is all or nothing. The car crash six years ago shattered my legs. That's what started the process of making MACH., but if that car had rolled one more time, I'd be dead. And there would be no HULC, no Retinal tech, nothing. I'm never going to be that fragile again."
Installation of the MACH package also resulted in a systemic decrease in sensory nerve function. This is most prevalent in Sommers right arm, where it assists in coping with cannon recoil.

-
-

"All right, let's get started. For disclosure, this interview is being recorded for record-keeping purposes. Would you go ahead and state your name?"

"Britney Sommers."

"And could you tell me a bit about yourself, Britney? Maybe walk me through your academic career?"

"Sure. I did my undergraduate studies at the University of Nebraska, got my bachelor's degree in 2010. Majored in bioengineering, and minored in physics. I did grad studies there, too, focusing on biosystems. Initially I was working on developing a more refined system of tools for remote surgery, but I ran into a few delays during the first year. I ended up coming back in 2012 with a new project, focusing on prosthetic design."

"Delays?"

"Car crash. I actually had feet until about five years ago."

"Of course, I'm so sor-"

"It's fine. Anyways, I'd been involved with a design team for a fairly basic bionic arm in Nebraska. It was one of those undergraduate research competitions. Nothing too fancy, this thing just had to be able to turn a doorknob. But it gave me enough background that I was able to find an advisor for my prosthetics project pretty easily. That, and the fact that you can't really turn down a student in a wheelchair when she says she wants to design robot legs."

"And when did you complete your graduate studies?"

"I just defended my thesis in May."

"Congratulations. How did it go?"

"Well enough, I guess. I got my diploma. Now I've got two pieces of paper. Still no job."

"Well, you're here to change that today, right? Tell me what you bring to the table for Promethean."

"Did you get the chance to look through the package I included with my resume?"

"I did. Tell me more about it."

"It's the outlines for the MACH upgrade package. Motility Aid and Cybernetics Hub. It's still in the design phase. My lab in Nebraska doesn't have the equipment to make prototypes beyond the legs, never mind the funding to actually implement it in a living system. The legs work. I'd like them to work better, but they work. Everything else I've developed is in there, and there's a lot of room for expansion. With the resources at Promethean, I could turn MACH into something really great. Construction accidents, wounded soldiers, cancer patients, car crash victims. There's almost two million people in the United States who would benefit from better prosthetics."

"It's an admirable cause. But as I'm sure you're aware, Promethean is primarily a weapons manufacturer. Many potential applicants have ethical reservations when it comes to designing weaponry. How do you feel about it?"

"I don't have any issues with it. The last appendix in the MACH documents outlines the potential for weaponized prosthetics. A lot of people don't grasp the fact that there's nothing inherently wrong with weapon development. Have you heard of IG Farben?"

"I haven't."

'They were a German company in the thirties and forties, doing chemical and pharmaceutical work. Some really good work, too. IG Farben scientists discovered the first sulfa antibiotics. Revolutionized medicine. They invented the process for making polyurethane. Mostly they were a dye-manufacturing company, actually. They developed the chemistry behind azo dyes, so people could have more colourful clothes. At its prime, IG Farben was the biggest company in Europe. The biggest chemical manufacturer anywhere in the world."

"And how does this tie in with your views on weapons development?"

"Well, IG Farben also did some work with cyanide-based pesticides. You've heard of Zyklon B?"

"...yes."

"That was IG Farben. Zyklon B was supposed to be a pesticide. Until the German government realized it could do more work for them in extermination camps. A dye-manufacturing company was responsible for the gas that suffocated millions of people. Anyway, my point is...science isn't good or evil. Science just is. It's the people behind the research who decide how its going to be used. They're the ones who have moral codes, and they're the ones who decide the applications. If I'm not the one to be designing weapons, someone else will be. So yeah, I'd rather it be me. At least I know where I stand when it comes to applications."

"And what would that be? Where would this technology you're planning to develop be applied?"

"Is that supposed to be a trick question? Myself. My body. I want to walk again God knows I've earned it, everything I've been through in the last few years. Every time there's a meta attack on the news, I'm stuck at home, staring at the television and wishing there was something I could do that would actually help. I didn't win any kind of genetic lottery like they did. I don't have powers. But that doesn't mean I should sit back and watch. If I design this tech, I get to use it."

"Hm. You and the boss might get along."
-
-
Field Test Logs
-
-
Test Location Performance Notes
ERROR: No field tests logged ERROR: No field tests logged

Last edited by Mach2 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:50 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Mach2

Post by Mach2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:58 pm

#DUMB IDEA
Make a Sandbox character called Conidia. Her powers center around toxic airborne spores.

Literally anyone feel free to steal this idea. I'm never gonna write it.

Mach2

Post by Mach2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:32 pm

hr bar with no hr??? :D

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:26 am

Cool idea! Updated it to remove the scroll bar and streamline the code~

[div="box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px#008000;border:2px green solid;display:block"][/div]
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:43 am

[div="box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px#008000;border:2px green dotted;display:block"][/div]

[div="box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px#008000;border:2px green dashed;display:block"][/div]

[div="box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px#008000;border:2px green ridge;display:block"][/div]

[div="box-shadow: 2px 2px 5px#008000;border:2px green groove;display:block"][/div]
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end