Gun Control

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
DaTurtle

Gun Control

Post by DaTurtle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:25 pm

I personally believe people should be allowed to own firearms to protect themselves. Along with this I think there should be a firearms safety course that kids take in schools like how they do sex ed, it doesn't have to be a complicated course just tell them what to do if they find a gun and show them how they work so they're not just "scary objects that want to kill you".

I think mental health and helping those who suffer from it is a more important task than keeping firearms away from people or banning the scary looking ones with big magazines. We've had Ar-15s since the 1960s but as we try to regulate people with rules and laws we begin to forget that it's the relationship with people that truly dictates behavior.
I'm a 'the glass is half filled with poison' kind of guy.

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Gun Control

Post by Annasiel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:30 pm

I agree, for the most part.

I definitely think our biggest issue is our absolute rubbish mental health system, as well as how said mental health system integrates with gun control legislation. I believe there needs to be more oversight on individuals deemed possible threats, and would go as far to say we should require a psychological screening to get your gun license. We need to have a stronger hand in schools to seek out and protect kids with mental illnesses, and need to do away with the dangerous laissez faire no tolerance stance regarding bullying.

We also need to better organize and fund CPS, which could help get "problem" kids out of pressured environments.

I disagree with having a firearms safety course in school. Maybe as an elective, similar to autoshop, but not as part of the regular courseload.

I'm also in favor of putting stricter regulations on automatic and semi-automatic rifles, no matter how "not-scary" they look. There's no reason why you'd need to carry one around unless you're hunting or at the range. Those aren't practical self-defense weapons for day to day use, they are, at best, recreational.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Killian
Bronze

Post by Killian » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:41 pm

Yeah, it does seem the relationship (or lack of at times) being a reason in people hurting each other. Would you say this is the root of the problem?
Also what would the people be protecting themselves from?
Previously Luki | ART BLOG | Status: Currently busy IRL. Replies may be slow, thank you for your patience!

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:44 pm

I agree people should own firearms to protect themselves, but what do you need a semi-automatic or even a full automatic? It's not like you're in the zombie apocalypse where you need to mow down as much as you can.

Simply better regulation over who gets it and who shouldn't have it. What's so difficult about that?

If you're going to complain about having some stricter laws about regulating gun distribution(more specifically automatic and semi) then you clearly have no need to have it in the first place, because that's just childish.
"Everyone's an Atheist until turbulence starts shaking the plane".

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:05 pm

ShaFlow wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:44 pm
I agree people should own firearms to protect themselves, but what do you need a semi-automatic or even a full automatic? It's not like you're in the zombie apocalypse where you need to mow down as much as you can.

Simply better regulation over who gets it and who shouldn't have it. What's so difficult about that?

If you're going to complain about having some stricter laws about regulating gun distribution(more specifically automatic and semi) then you clearly have no need to have it in the first place, because that's just childish.
Sha I know this topic can get pretty heated but name calling doesn't add to the discussion

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:06 pm

Wasn't directly calling anybody out.
"Everyone's an Atheist until turbulence starts shaking the plane".

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:12 am

Since I've been getting a few common questions I'm just going to list off answers and points I'd like to bring up in diffrent "Articles". I'll be expanding on some of these on a later date.

Article 1: Why Someone Would Want a Gun.

While many point out in most situations "You don't need a semi automatic rifle for every day home defense..." You wouldn't be entirely wrong in most scenarios, but thanks to Murphy's Law many people have been in those worst case scenarios. Last year on March 28th (2017) in Broken Arrow Oklahoma, a 23 year old was home alone when 3 intruders broke in. He was able to shoot and kill the 3 teens who were armed with ski masks, knives and brass knuckles.

As a resident of Broken Arrow I take pride in Tulsa and love living here, but the threat of violence is real. In my previous house we had 2 attempted break ins and 1 successful break in. The first one was when someone in my back yard was looking into my house through the door which was mainly made up of glass. The second one was the successful one, I got home to realize my door was kicked in. Then after I replaced it with a metal door I found crowbar marks on the hinges. Now here's a kicker, I don't even own an AR-15. I have Mauser 98, a bolt action rifle that only holds 6 rounds. I use it for hunting and it has to double as my home defense weapon since an AR is out of my price range and I'm not old enough to own a pistol, despite being old enough to vote and be drafted into military service and put my life on the line. How backwards is this? My rifle fires a 30/6 cartridge, if I were to hear someone trying to kick down my door or break a window I'd have to run into my room, grab my rifle, get 6 shells from a box and load each individually all while I can probably hear the intruders breaking in and approaching. Best case scenario they didn't think anyone was home and were slow to enter, but left as soon as they realized I was home, worst case being there are multiple people breaking in quietly and are armed with firearms. Murphy's Law says it would be the ladder meaning I'm fucked in that scenario. Assuming I could get the drop on them I have the potential to maybe kill 1 assailant per times I can cycle the bolt and fire. Probably after my first shot thats where all my advantages disappear, I have to get behind cover and cylce the bolt to fire again. I'm a pretty good shot but while under fire my skills might disintegrate or I could be under constant fire which would keep me behind cover unable to make well aimed shots which drastically reduces my survivability rate as I might miss or get shot while trying to fire, and if there are more then 6 guys I'm just plain fucked.

If we play this scenario again but this time I was armed with an AR-15 there would be a diffrence. I could grab a 30 round magazine slide it into the mag well then pull the charging handle back and I would be ready. (I could keep bullets in a magazine since the mag can be left out of an AR, but I can't remove the magazine in my Mauser since it's attached to the gun itself and I don't want to keep a loaded rifle at all times.) Now that I might have the advantage on the intruder I have a much larger potential to kill the group of assailants before they can properly react, and since I wouldn't have to fumble around with a bolt I can lay down a constant rate of fire to suppress the enemy. The right weapon can take an unfair situation and make it an even playing ground.

As for the zombie apocalypse, sure something like this can happen. Shit the government even has a zombie plan and that says something. If you're skeptical about a weird disease causing an apocolypse keep in mind the bubonic plague wiped out half of Europe. Weird shit has happened and will continue to happen.

Article 2: (to be added on a later date)

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:27 pm

I believe there should be no laws regulating what gun can be purchased. I also believe that there should be a class in senior yeasr of highschool about gun safety.

Oh, I'm not like The Flash at all. Some would say I'm the Reverse
For the kingdom of God awaits me, for I am saved by the blood of christ

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:52 pm

Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:17 pm

Back in the 1830's "those people" would have been the freed slaves that Virginia deemed threats to society, some of the first gun control laws were written just to oppress the populace. I guarantee most cases of gun control throughout the world are just meant to oppress the populace.