White Privilege

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Post Reply
User avatar
UmbraSight
Global Mod
Posts: 2058
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:07 am
Location: Lost in the Snow
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm

Shadow101 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 pm
So let me get this straight you are ok with people regardless of race to commit a crime as long as they need to commit it because there situation is bad?
What? When did I ever say I was ok with crime?

Understanding what pushes people to commit crime isn't the same as forgiving those that do commit heinous acts, but shoving your fingers into your ears and ignoring the causes (or attributing it to say, the blackness of the person committing the crime) will only serve to make the situation worse for everyone as we are then ignoring the actual causes of crime which stops us from breaking the cycle.

I have no clue where you even began to draw the conclusion that I was fine with crime. Unless understanding what pushes desperate people into these situations somehow means that I must be ok with it, but that is completely silly as a freaking concept so, please elaborate on what you are trying to say.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

User avatar
ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by ShaFlow » Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:38 am

UmbraSight wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:06 pm
Shadow101 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 pm
So let me get this straight you are ok with people regardless of race to commit a crime as long as they need to commit it because there situation is bad?
What? When did I ever say I was ok with crime?

Understanding what pushes people to commit crime isn't the same as forgiving those that do commit heinous acts, but shoving your fingers into your ears and ignoring the causes (or attributing it to say, the blackness of the person committing the crime) will only serve to make the situation worse for everyone as we are then ignoring the actual causes of crime which stops us from breaking the cycle.

I have no clue where you even began to draw the conclusion that I was fine with crime. Unless understanding what pushes desperate people into these situations somehow means that I must be ok with it, but that is completely silly as a freaking concept so, please elaborate on what you are trying to say.
Image
Image

User avatar
Kurusu
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 am
Location: Inter-dimensional Cat Space
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by Kurusu » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:25 am


A recent study authored by Roland Fryer of Harvard University and the National Bureau of Economic Research found that while blacks and Hispanics were more likely to experience some sort of force in encounters with officers, such as getting struck with a police baton, there were no racial differences when it came to officer-involved shootings.
I took that straight from your source, so I would say your point of racial bias within police brutality is moot. Have you actually read the entire thing?

Also, the bus driver were different each time.
Remember to always check the first post of the Inn for any updates! The link above will take you there.

User avatar
Shadow101
Member
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 pm
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by Shadow101 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 am

When you are defending it that is exactly how you come across.

Yes but apparently you haven't.

User avatar
UmbraSight
Global Mod
Posts: 2058
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:07 am
Location: Lost in the Snow
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:00 am

Shadow101 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 am
When you are defending it that is exactly how you come across.
When I defend what? So far all I have done is tell you what the cause of the high violent crime rate is, poverty. In what world is that defending crime? How do you even come to such a mind boggling conclusion?

Explaining what has lead to a high crime rate isn't the same as defending it.

Hell, if you read the little link I posted, they even went on to show that if you control for wealth disparity the rates of violent crimes between blacks and whites is practically the same. Poverty causes higher crime rates.

I am not seeing how this is defending crime.
Yes but apparently you haven't.
He quoted the source directly Shadow.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

User avatar
Annasiel
Administrator
Posts: 4637
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:40 am
Gender: Female
Location: Somewhere grey and full of ghosts.
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by Annasiel » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:57 am

Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

User avatar
Kurusu
Member
Posts: 281
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:15 am
Location: Inter-dimensional Cat Space
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by Kurusu » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:46 am

Shadow, it's your responsibility to make me understand your source. If I have interpreted it wrong, then you have to point it out clearly.

As far as I am concerned still, I have defended my source well, and it proves that white privilege exist. Nothing more, nothing less. If you continue to bring up irrelevant issues without properly linking the facts to the statement that "White privilege does not exist", I will consider this debate to be in my favor and leave.
Remember to always check the first post of the Inn for any updates! The link above will take you there.

User avatar
ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War
Posts: 2042
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 am
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by ShaFlow » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:54 am

Shadow101 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:00 am
When you are defending it that is exactly how you come across.

Yes but apparently you haven't.
Image
Image

User avatar
Shadow101
Member
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:57 pm
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:32 pm

It is coming across in that way that you are ok with it. Reason why I think that is because you are saying they are committing crime but the reason why they are is because it's hard to find a job in that area so that's why they are doing it. No they are doing it because they are criminals. I would again work 90 hrs a weak pulling weeds are shoveling dirt or snow before I even dreamed about committing crimes.

User avatar
UmbraSight
Global Mod
Posts: 2058
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:07 am
Location: Lost in the Snow
Contact:

Re: White Privilege

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:03 pm

Shadow101 wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:32 pm
It is coming across in that way that you are ok with it. Reason why I think that is because you are saying they are committing crime but the reason why they are is because it's hard to find a job in that area so that's why they are doing it. No they are doing it because they are criminals. I would again work 90 hrs a weak pulling weeds are shoveling dirt or snow before I even dreamed about committing crimes.
"Poverty drives people to commit crime out of desperation."

"Well that means you are making excuses for the crimes!"

Shadow, understanding the motivations of a criminal is not the same as saying that they shouldn't be punished. If that's what you thinks it means then the only way I can even start to understand your point of view is that you don't understand that criminals are human, or at the very least you don't understand that a criminal can have understandable motivations which can drive them. And somehow this means that trying to find factors which drove them to commit a crime is making an excuse for that crime. Which is, frankly, silly.

Remember earlier when you didn't understand why the African American crime rate was so high? Remember when you kept asking "doesn't it make you wonder?" Well, when presented with an actual reason, you seem to be firmly against it despite having no argument beyond "well that's just making excuses for what they did!"

So I will say this; understanding the motivations behind crime, and having empathy for the criminal is not the same as believing that the criminal shouldn't be punished for their actions. If we address the wealth inequalities in America, if she set up programs to help the poor we would see the crime rates drop. How is this something you are against?
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests