White Privilege

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: White Privilege

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:26 pm

Shadow101 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:37 pm
You can not say pot and homicide is the same it is not.
Again: the point was that black communities are unfairly targeted by the police. But please do continue to ignore what I'm actually saying.
Responsibility or should I say lack there of.
Excuse me? It isn't about poverty and the desperation that poverty places on people. It's about responsibility? Bullshit. These people aren't all committing crimes solely because their parents never told them not to, saying so is just ignoring all actual causes which are just hovering over our heads.
You can not use a statistic saying police officers are killing black people without saying it is a black cop pulling the trigger. Again a white male is more likely to be shot by a white cop and a black guy is more likely to be shot by a black cop. The reason why I bring it up is it when you talk about police brutality it is always painted as a white guy killing a black guy which is not accurate.
I'm still not seeing how in a discussion of police brutality -- which is essentially a fun way of saying "government sponsored brutalizations of its citizendry" the skin color of the officer matters. The argument is that the police are targeting black individuals unfairly, a black cop can do it just as easily as a white one.
I love how you quoted everything I said besides the last thing I posted.
That last thing you posted was so far outside of anything approaching reality that my only response was bafflement.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Shadow101

Post by Shadow101 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 pm

No I am not you are ignoring my statement. I said they were responsible for 52% of crimes then you said yeah those were marijuana related I am saying no they are not.

So going out and getting a job isn't an option. As well as places of business actually get takes breaks for hiring people or color (White privilege right)

Because you can't paint a picture saying white privilege is a thing and then say oh btw it is because of police brutality then in the same instance ignore the face that the person of the same skin tone is the same one pulling the trigger.

https://www.amren.com/news/2015/07/new- ... nt-crime/

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:24 am

Shadow101 wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:36 pm
No I am not you are ignoring my statement. I said they were responsible for 52% of crimes then you said yeah those were marijuana related I am saying no they are not.

At no point did I say they were the same. I said I was using marijuana as a reference to show one way in which African Americans were unfairly targeted by the police and criminal justice system. What I can only assume is that you missed that I was using marijuana as an example of how the system in general is working against African Americans, but let this set the record straight.

I am not saying that they are the same, only that in matters of drug enforcement the bias against African Americans is easy to see.
So going out and getting a job isn't an option.

In some inner city areas, getting a job is hard. Cities in general tend to have higher unemployment than the national average because so many people live there.
As well as places of business actually get takes breaks for hiring people or color (White privilege right)
Affirmative Acion was put into place because it was all but impossible for black Americans to get a job or get into a university in the years following the end of segregation. Which isn't a good hill to plant your flag on given that the system literally exists to combat prejudice. I would say that AA needs to be adjusted to use economic disparities rather than racial lines to decide who needs aid, however, as wealth and educational disparities tend to be what hold people back within our current system.
Because you can't paint a picture saying white privilege is a thing and then say oh btw it is because of police brutality then in the same instance ignore the face that the person of the same skin tone is the same one pulling the trigger.
A police officer is an agent of the state, they exist to uphold the will and laws of the state. We can see that police, as an institution, tend to target black men unfairly. The skin color of the officer doesn't matter because they laws they exist to carry out are the same white or black.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Kurusu

Post by Kurusu » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:34 am

You aren't even arguing your original point anymore.

I claimed that the bus study proves that white privilege exist. You made no attempt to argue that.

I have argued that statistic of police brutality does not disprove white privilege. You made no attempt to argue that.

From what we can see here, you claim is not very strong anymore. White privileged does exist after all.
Remember to always check the first post of the Inn for any updates! The link above will take you there.

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:05 am

It's because of White Privilege that I got an F on my Sociology final......when I was still in School.
"Everyone's an Atheist until turbulence starts shaking the plane".

Shadow101

Post by Shadow101 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:01 pm

I can maybe by into that. Understood however the fact remains they are responsible for a lot of the crime that is not pot related and only make up like
13 % of the population don't you find that even a little bit odd?

I can understand that (A little). Then I would move or find a legal way to make money until I could find a way to make a better living I would work 90hrs a week shoveling snow before breaking the law. But then again that's just me. You can't justify them braking the law because they can't get a job all your giving them is an excuse not get one in the 1st place.

Ok maybe that is the case a few years back but I got passed over a lot because of a minority or a female. If it was a black lady applying for the job then forget it. (They get bigger tax breaks. Now don't get me wrong me being a Veteran I get veterans preference. However I have for 3 war and buried friends for it all they did was being born black. Kind of one sided if you ask me.

Shadow101

Post by Shadow101 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:08 pm

The bus analogy is ok I guess since it was done in 1 place for 1 certain period of time. Also who was the bus driver? I know personally I wouldn't care what your skin tone is but I also realize that I am one person.

Now the police brutality thing I responded a great deal on and also proved that white people are more likely to be brutalized and shot then black people. That is a 100% fact you can't debate that. Next you say well they only make up 12% of the population so? Then I said they only make up 12% of the population yet commit well over 50% more of the crime. What I mean by saying that is if there were the same amount of black people as there are white people they would even commit more of the crime then they are committing now.
Last edited by Shadow101 on Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:32 pm

Shadow101 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Now the police brutality thing I responded a great deal on and also proved that white people are more likely to be brutalized and shot then people. That is a 100% fact you can't debate that. Next you say well they only make up 12% of the population so? Then I said they only make up 12% of the population yet commit well over 50% more of the crime. What I mean by saying that is if there were the same amount of black people as there are white people they would even commit more of the crime then they are committing now.
And once more we reach the point where you force me to just keep repeating myself as you ignore the point.

Essentially what you are looking at is poor on poor crime. Why is it so high for blacks and not for say, whites? More African Americans are poor, and tend to live in areas of low opportunity that they cannot escape. You keep waving this 52% around without understanding what the number is actually showing.

This goes into it well enough, I suppose.

Shadow101

Post by Shadow101 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 pm

So let me get this straight you are ok with people regardless of race to commit a crime as long as they need to commit it because there situation is bad?

violetsun

Post by violetsun » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Shadow101 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:27 pm
So let me get this straight you are ok with people regardless of race to commit a crime as long as they need to commit it because there situation is bad?
*sings*

I stole a loaf of bread.
My sister's child was close to death
And we were starving.

You will starve again
Unless you learn the meaning of the law.

I know the meaning of those 19 years
A slave of the law

Five years for what you did
The rest because you tried to run
Yes, 24601.