White Privilege

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
bastecklein
Site Admin

Re: White Privilege

Post by bastecklein » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:03 pm

I think there is a universal truth that people generally tend to associate with people who are similar to themselves. If you are black and living in a mostly white society, then you will be seen as different and will feel like an outsider. Even if nobody consciously feels any malice towards you. It is just human nature. The same is true if you are the only white guy in Korea. No matter what you do, you will still be the outsider. It's not just race either, there are also studies showing that people are self-segregating themselves based on political beliefs, where more liberal people are gravitating to coastal urban areas, and more conservative people gravitating to rural "flyover" areas, which is further increasing the divide in the country. But it's because people prefer to live, work, and play with people who are similar to themselves.

We like to say that diversity is a strength, but two countries being similar, you actually see less crime and conflict in those that are less diverse. Obviously this doesn't hold up if you are comparing two places with vastly different standards of living. America is actually doing fairly well, considering the very high level of diversity compared to many places.
Owner of Role Playing Forums and Ape Apps

DeathKyle

White Privilege

Post by DeathKyle » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:54 am

People should embrace their own heritage, race and origins. They should be proud who they are. White privilege in my opinion does not exist. But I do encourage whites to be proud who they are as well as any race. We shouldn't assimilate into one entity but learn to live with and embrace differences. Every race, ethnicity is special in their own way and superior in their own way for someone to say every single person is the exact same does not know biology. I am hispanic, my parents are from the Dominican Republic we are very strong people and I am proud who I am. There is no institutional prejudice or racism. Set a better example for yourself and your people to better yourself and those opinions of yourself. You can't expect people to respect and trust cops if alot of cops act devious. Why should it be any different when it comes to representing who you are. You want people to see you better you give them a reason to. It doesn't come by forcing people to see things differently. It's alot easier to blame other people for your misfortunes but alot harder to take responsibility and better yourself.

I have many miles to go before I sleep
I have many miles to go before I sleep

shadowvoidboss
Gold

Post by shadowvoidboss » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:30 am

The thing is. Is that if we have to say one type of privilege exists then we have to acknowledge that they all exist.
When life gives you lemons make orange juice... cause fuck the world. XD

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:36 am

You ever heard of the term intersectionality?

Congratulations, you just caught up with the rest of the class.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Zavier Antiguar
Cinnabitch

Post by Zavier Antiguar » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:56 am

Speaking of class, I feel as though I should butt in here. I'm just a kid, so I might not know what I'm talking about too much, and all I have to go off of is what I've seen in schools. I've been moving around the United States my whole life, so I've seen a lot of different treatment of colored folk in my short time on this planet. I've also seen a difference in the amount of colored folk, most likely based on that differing treatment.

Now for my part of the facts. I apologize for not having an actual valid source, as I am using my personal experience in this case. I also apologize if I looked over any important facts that have been stated before, as I was eager to jump in after seeing some of the posts prior to this page.

Let's start when I was living in Washington state. I lived there for a good 3 years that I can actually remember. In that time, I can recall no cases of anyone being treated unfairly based on the color of their skin. There were no struggles for money, of course, this only being an elementary school. There were also more colored children in that school. At the same time though, there were no problems with money for the parents either as far as I could see, because the children at that school all seemed to have exactly what they wanted at all times, whether it be the newest video game or an expensive backpack, or maybe just a more expensive product at the bake sales.

Fast forward a few years, to when I lived in Nevada. There was a little less fair treatment among the colored folk, and in effect, less colored folk. Money was still not a real issue for the students as of yet since this was just middle school. The parents of the colored children, however, seemed to have a slightly harder time with the law itself, rather than money.

Fast forward another few years to the present. I live in Virginia. There was far fewer colored folk, and racism is definitely evident. Black children get harsher punishments for minor offenses, and white kids seem to get away with everything. There are problems with money now, but that may not be the sole reason for the issues at hand, seeing as the main comments I hear are - pardon my offensive language here, but for the sake of this post I feel as though it is necessary to quote the students I noticed - things such as "filthy niggers takin' our food" and "those damned monkeys are always fightin' over somethin'."

Now, if I am looking at these situations correctly, I believe it has less to do with the money in each race's hands(which I can only assume is the reason for the different crime rates(Causing the "privilege", and since the money I've had the chance of seeing so far has been spread out fairly evenly) and more to do with the basic trust of one another. How the media portrays the different races is a big factor in that value of trust.

Once again, I'm just an exhausted kid, so I don't really have the experience necessary to find a reasonable answer to this debate, but I have a feeling this might at least add a different viewpoint to it.
May your blade be ever sharp, and your will never broken.
Character Info
Pixel Art
Reyn's BBCode Masterpost
Da Rules
Da Staff
Da FAQs

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:39 pm

I'm too privileged to read the eight pages of content.

Someone, just tell me if this is one of those things where we all agree on, so I can move on with my life.
It's just the cat Image