Pressure on Children

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
MistyFlames
Bronze

Pressure on Children

Post by MistyFlames » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:45 am

I don’t know if this is just me or if other people notice this too but, as of late there is a ridiculous amount of pressure placed on some children and its been steadily increasing for ages.

I have a few friends in particular who have faced this really heavily as far as I know and I’m only in middle school as of now. One friend, I’ll call Friend A, is actually terrified of their father. I’ve seen them have breakdowns in schools because they didn’t do as well as their parents expected them to on a math test. They have lied to their parents about their grades or what they got wrong on a test because they’re so scared that they’ll yell at them, call them stupid, etc. I find this a recurrent theme in school, getting progressively worse as people get older oftentimes. I don’t have much contact with people in highschool irl other than my brother but I feel like he’s crumbling under the stress. As of now, he takes 5 AP courses currently, and is in varsity in two sports as well as student council and dealing with piano and ACT prep outside of school. He’s getting extremely sick regularly and he doesn’t sleep more than 5 hours a night on average. He seems to feel almost obliged to do these things, my parents constantly showing dissapointment if he doesn’t due well. Its not just school either though, extracurriculars, especially overloading them can place a lot of stress on kids, especially when their parents expect so much from them.

I understand parents place some pressure on their kids because they want them to succeed, but I feel, at least for some parents, they are taking this too far. Because really, is their child success worth more to them then their physical and mental health?

Yeah I don’t know if anybody has experienced this themselves or now people who have but I thought it something important to bring up.

Snowskeeper

Re: Pressure on Children

Post by Snowskeeper » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:34 pm

I'd argue that pressure on kids has been decreasing steadily for the last several decades, but yes, these problems do currently exist. People want to see their kids succeed, and often fail to realize when they're pushing them too hard.

It doesn't help that the education system in North America is, largely, underfunded and undersupported; taxes are extremely low, right now, and the number of projects currently in existence is too high. This has made it very difficult to keep class sizes down, which, in turn, tends to lead to a sort of standardized pace; anyone who isn't doing exactly as well as the system expects ends up hurt by that, whether they're being forced to move faster or to slow down.

Wholey33

Post by Wholey33 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:47 pm

Pressure on children is baby sitting

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:01 am

They're truly little blood diamonds.
Sho: "Any tree can drop an apple. I'll drop the freakingmoon."
Neku: "Uhh... what?"
Joshua: "I think he's saying he's better than gravity."