Universal Basic Income

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Snowskeeper

Universal Basic Income

Post by Snowskeeper » Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:37 am

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Universal Basic Income

Post by Annasiel » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:35 am

I agree with it as a replacement for welfare. I'm a libertarian, not too fond of administrative bloat, and I feel it would definitely help improve total quality of life. The US could use a cut to its bureaucracy.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

The Alt-Rick

Post by The Alt-Rick » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:31 pm

Impossible. Given the nature of capitalism, there has to be class dispairity and I don't mean domestically but internationally. There has to be a peasant class of entire nation states making the goods pennies to the dollar for a privileged few (hundred thousand).

The very notion of an income is inherently capitalist and just because it's a controlled economy, does not mean it isn't an economy. Also the implications of a globalized regime to do the controlling is very disturbing. Self determination needs to exist.

And I know some are probably thinking "this guy sounds like some tankie Marxist" with my use of the word capitalism and exploiting the third-world. But also keep in mind that on a personal level, I don't think most people deserve crap. I'm actually very cynical of the average person and don't think just because some are starving to death they wouldn't be just as degenerate and disgusting given half the chance to adapt to first world privileges.

Better wealth belong to the few bastards, than the many bastards.
But maintain the right of the many bastards to thwart the few, and to sleep with one eye open. They don't deserve an easy life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5S9OjEOmlQ
(((DUH BLACK PILL))) *Metal rifts lol*

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:51 pm

The Alt-Rick wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:31 pm
Impossible. Given the nature of capitalism, there has to be class dispairity and I don't mean domestically but internationally. There has to be a peasant class of entire nation states making the goods pennies to the dollar for a privileged few (hundred thousand).
There isn't a peasant class currently, and capitalism does not include a peasant class to begin with. Mercantalism is not capitalism.
The very notion of an income is inherently capitalist and just because it's a controlled economy, does not mean it isn't an economy. Also the implications of a globalized regime to do the controlling is very disturbing. Self determination needs to exist.
Watch the video.
And I know some are probably thinking "this guy sounds like some tankie Marxist" with my use of the word capitalism and exploiting the third-world. But also keep in mind that on a personal level, I don't think most people deserve crap. I'm actually very cynical of the average person and don't think just because some are starving to death they wouldn't be just as degenerate and disgusting given half the chance to adapt to first world privileges.
People who are starving tend to be a lot more desparate than people who aren't. People who lack access to any sort of proper education tend to be a lot less educated than people who don't.

This isn't hard, friend. I'm surprised you failed to figure it out, what with all your political appointments and papers.
Better wealth belong to the few bastards, than the many bastards.
But maintain the right of the many bastards to thwart the few, and to sleep with one eye open. They don't deserve an easy life.
Watch the video.

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:52 am

Can't we just use Mass Effects Credits xD

Wholey33

Post by Wholey33 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:42 pm

I think this is a good idea. I need to support my fifteen kids from wedlock and jobs make me dizzy

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 am

Did you try spinning the other direction?
“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words are merely the smallest element of language capable of containing meaning in isolation, and as such could never directly produce the 4000 Newtons of force per square centimeter required to break bones.” - Michael Stevens

TriggerHappy
Bronze

Post by TriggerHappy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:22 am

I haven't watched the video, but just knowing that it's called a Universal Basic Income makes me think that it would quickly devalue currency, meaning while yes they would be making money, the money they would be making would be equivalent to Monopoly Money in it's purchasing power, and that's not to mention the fact that if it's what I think it is, which it likely isn't, that it would fail for the same reason communism does when it's put into practice: people are dishonest and lazy.
404 signature not found

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:32 pm

You should try watching the video.

Vlada

Post by Vlada » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:15 pm

I def like the idea and believe it should be implemented. The video explains very well that it wouldn't devalue currency because the government just shifts the money from rich to poor, without making new money that could cause devaluation.

What should also be noted is that UBI just gives you the basic amount of money and that's it. You will still have to work.
Again, love the idea, the world we are living in is becoming increasingly distopian unequal and this a very good tool for balancing things out.