Net Neutrality

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.

Moderators: Moderator, Admin, Developer

Annasiel
Admin

Net Neutrality

Post by Annasiel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:20 pm

FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

ShaFlow

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by ShaFlow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm

I swear if this affects my hentai I'm gonna have an issue

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm

Statement issued by Ajit Pai was overtly political in nature (blames the FCC ruling of 2015 entirely on Obama, as opposed to, y'know, the overwhelming majority of public comments on the issue) and did nothing to explain what he had a problem with. Ajit Pai has also repeatedly made the statement that there's no evidence that ISPs would try to institute fast lanes, or slow down competing services, despite the fact that Comcast literally did do that to Netflix. There have been other incidents as well.

Additionally, the FCC seems to be refusing to turn over evidence that might help police investigate allegations of identity fraud regarding the comments they received this time around.

ShaFlow

Post by ShaFlow » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:01 am

Snowskeeper wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:17 pm
Statement issued by Ajit Pai was overtly political in nature (blames the FCC ruling of 2015 entirely on Obama, as opposed to, y'know, the overwhelming majority of public comments on the issue) and did nothing to explain what he had a problem with. Ajit Pai has also repeatedly made the statement that there's no evidence that ISPs would try to institute fast lanes, or slow down competing services, despite the fact that Comcast literally did do that to Netflix. There have been other incidents as well.

Additionally, the FCC seems to be refusing to turn over evidence that might help police investigate allegations of identity fraud regarding the comments they received this time around.
I have Comcast and I can confirm this is true. I went over to a friends house with FIOS and it ran faster than my shitty Comcast service Netflix. Even when it was just us in the house.

The Alt-Rick

Post by The Alt-Rick » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm

ShaFlow wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:47 pm
I swear if this affects my hentai I'm gonna have an issue
I doubt it. I was actually offered help in running for mayor as a libertarian by the official party of my state. I can tell you right now net neutrality doesn't really change much besides making big companies play nice with one another. You might get some problems going on Amazon if you're on a Facebook package because Facebook co-signs with Comcast and Amazon co-signs with Google or whatever. But smaller websites are irrelevant and they'll just keep them as neutral parties you can float too at normal speeds.

Libertarians liked my thesis because it didn't tell them how to think, only that they need not be too worried either way. That consumer choice might become limited in some arbitrary way, but also expanded in others as more often newer websites will come along to contest tried and true shit. Like let's say YouTube as of now doesn't have a real competitor, but Comcast doesn't want to use YouTube as than they'd have to pay Google... well watch Vidme suddenly do a whole lot better.

People's fear is neutral websites will be treated as competitors, when that would be incredibly inefficient. Yes if you wanna use Google and Facebook AT THE SAME TIME it'll be more expensive, but on the real? It'll probably be cheaper for your average person who is content using one conglomerated brand of "social media" (nothing social about it) and just browsing hentai as they did before.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:22 am

The Alt-Rick wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:32 pm
I was actually offered help in running for mayor as a libertarian by the official party of my state.
Why is this relevant? What actual credentials do you have in regards to this issue?
I can tell you right now net neutrality doesn't really change much besides making big companies play nice with one another.
No, it also makes them play nice with smaller, potentially competing companies.
You might get some problems going on Amazon if you're on a Facebook package because Facebook co-signs with Comcast and Amazon co-signs with Google or whatever. But smaller websites are irrelevant and they'll just keep them as neutral parties you can float too at normal speeds.
Comcast slowed down Netflix for all of its customers until Netflix signed an agreement with them, so no, this is bullshit.
Libertarians liked my thesis because it didn't tell them how to think, only that they need not be too worried either way.
Still not relevant, and by the way, telling somebody that they shouldn't worry is 100% telling them what to think.
That consumer choice might become limited in some arbitrary way,
THIS IS A BAD THING.
but also expanded in others as more often newer websites will come along to contest tried and true shit.
This may happen in the immediate short term, as ISPs set up their own versions of services for their customers, but I find it very difficult to believe that they'll allow unaffiliated competitors to spring up unless they're paying them.
Like let's say YouTube as of now doesn't have a real competitor, but Comcast doesn't want to use YouTube as than they'd have to pay Google... well watch Vidme suddenly do a whole lot better.
Until Comcast decides it doesn't want its customers using Vidme, either. It doesn't cost them anything to slow down that service, and becuase of the way ISPs are currently managing territory, most of the people using it will not have any alternatives.
People's fear is neutral websites will be treated as competitors, when that would be incredibly inefficient.
How?
Yes if you wanna use Google and Facebook AT THE SAME TIME it'll be more expensive, but on the real? It'll probably be cheaper for your average person who is content using one conglomerated brand of "social media" (nothing social about it) and just browsing hentai as they did before.
It almost certainly won't be.

Wholey33

Post by Wholey33 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 pm

I like my internet like switzerland
Neutral and filled with hot blondes

Wint

Post by Wint » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:02 am

And full of SOOOO many holes to stare at.
Oh wait you're talking about the place, not the cheese.
....still.
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher