Social Justice and Freedom of Speech

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: Social Justice and Freedom of Speech

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:11 pm

DatGuyDusty wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:06 pm

SJWs are overly senstive universally.
Cognitive dissonance is a fun thing.

Anti-SJWs mean well, but... Well. Some are racist, facist and etc etc. A few bad apples ruins the bunch and so on.
Understand that your first statement does not jibe with this one. You are focusing only on the fringe of one movement while handwaving the fringe of the other movement. This is not a good thing, you are treating the fringe of one side to be the bulk of their opinion while just pretending the opposition doesn't have the exact same problem. This is how partisanship happens, and this is how conformation bias works.
Also screw PC. Literally. Poltical correctness is stupid. Say what you want when you want, then deal with anything after.
Political correctness is a good and useful tool, especially within the workplace and with groups of people you do not know. Political correctness, is quite simply polite speech, it is understanding when and where it is appropriate to say certain things and when you should shut up. I live and work in Indiana, in an environment that is very much not PC by any stretch of the imagination and I have listened to more than one racially charged rant full of racial slurs. It is goddamned awkward at best, and attempting to tell them to stop only makes the situation worse.

Political correctness controlled and ordained by the goverment is stupid and unconstitutional, political correctness as a societal understanding of what you should and shouldn't say while in the workplace is good. Because that is all political correctness is, knowing when and where it would be appropriate to speak and about what.

The people on the hard left who want it to be more than that are fools, as are the people on the hard right who also try to make it out to be more than it is. It is simply a collection of speech and ideas which society as a whole deems inappropriate when spoken in the wrong place. It is politically correct to not spout racial slurs, it is politically correct to not deny the holocaust.
They also ruin a lot of things, like gaming because of a certain Anita say stupid things.
She ruined gaming with critical theory on YouTube? Well ain't that the most impressive thing I have heard all week. No, Anita hasn't ruined gaming by talking about it on YouTube. If the industry were so weak that it could be ruined so easily, I don't know how it even made it this far.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

DatGuyDusty

Post by DatGuyDusty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 am

Not really saying Anita ruined gaming. She was an example. A really scummy one at that.

Talking about the Triple A is a whole different subject, but pandering to stupid stuff is definitely a reason to why its failing. Note how I say 'A'. Not 'The'. Microtransactions, scummy businesses and stupid poor game design (as in bugs and shitty lazy assets).

Like I've said. To me, politeness and PC are different. PC is just... Stupid. I am very Anti-PC, but you won't hear me screaming racial or offensive slurs for no reason. Using words like that in different contexts to 'depower' the word is actually better than giving it power, which PC culture does.

Also, quick and brief. What am I gonna say about the Anti-SJW side? Honestly, at this point, my eyes are on the SJW. They say dumb things so I focus on them. Not a bias, just not enough research. If you really want, I can do the classic "OH WOW LOOK AT THE RAPLH RETORT" and say he commited an attronsity if you're upset about bias? I guess?

And anyways, it was a quick brief thing. I don't harbour love for either side. If an Anti-SJW attacks a man for no reason, I won't like that guy or girl.
Image 𝔸 𝕟𝕖𝕣𝕕𝕪 𝕕𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕓 | ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴜꜱᴜᴀʟʟʏ | 𝔇𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔟𝔢 𝔞𝔣𝔯𝔞𝔦𝔡 𝔱𝔬 𝓟𝓜 |
|T̵r̴a̴s̷h̵y̶ ̵A̵r̶t̶ ̸(̶T̵h̴a̴t̷ ̸I̷ ̵m̴a̸y̶ ̷s̴t̵a̵r̷t̵ ̷p̴o̴s̸t̶i̵n̸g̴.̷)̵ |

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:19 am

DatGuyDusty wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:42 am

Like I've said. To me, politeness and PC are different. PC is just... Stupid. I am very Anti-PC, but you won't hear me screaming racial or offensive slurs for no reason. Using words like that in different contexts to 'depower' the word is actually better than giving it power, which PC culture does.
They aren't different however, they are the same thing. But this comes down to definitions, you appear to only want to use PC to refer to it's use by the government to censor the populous, which beyond the illegality of yelling fire in a theater, the government cannot do.
Also, quick and brief. What am I gonna say about the Anti-SJW side? Honestly, at this point, my eyes are on the SJW. They say dumb things so I focus on them. Not a bias, just not enough research. If you really want, I can do the classic "OH WOW LOOK AT THE RAPLH RETORT" and say he commited an attronsity if you're upset about bias? I guess?
I mean I'm not upset, I don't need to be upset to disagree with you man lol.

The problem isn't that you aren't mentioning issues with anti-SJWs, that's fine. Reread how you wrote it, and understand that you are using a fringe section of the movement to paint the whole movement with a single stroke while you downplay the fact that the other side of the coin also has fringe actors.

Be aware of this line of thinking, and understand this is how biases form. If you say, watch only anti-SJW media and they show you a clip of someone saying something crazy out of context it makes you far more likely to accept that the anti-SJW are being accurate in their representation of the other person's argument when they "debunk" it. It could also very well mean that in context the argument could make sense, it might still be something you disagree with but you can at least understand how it is they reached their conclusion and where they are coming from.

Or they could just be crazy.

This isn't a condemnation, this is a warning against using that one crazy guy who holds some extreme views to speak for the sanity of a large movement.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

DatGuyDusty

Post by DatGuyDusty » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 am

In all honesty, the Anti-SJWs don't really concern me. I don't go to them for my own opinions, that would be kinda dented in my argument.

In my own words, I think Anti-SJWs or skeptic community do videos and stuff for the 'lolz' and to trigger the SJWs for over the top reactions. There are exceptions, but they are a few channels and most don't put the effort in anymore. They might be annoying, but the SJW side seems a lot more unreasonable to deal with.
Image 𝔸 𝕟𝕖𝕣𝕕𝕪 𝕕𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕓 | ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴜꜱᴜᴀʟʟʏ | 𝔇𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔟𝔢 𝔞𝔣𝔯𝔞𝔦𝔡 𝔱𝔬 𝓟𝓜 |
|T̵r̴a̴s̷h̵y̶ ̵A̵r̶t̶ ̸(̶T̵h̴a̴t̷ ̸I̷ ̵m̴a̸y̶ ̷s̴t̵a̵r̷t̵ ̷p̴o̴s̸t̶i̵n̸g̴.̷)̵ |

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 am

The whole idea of social justice is unbelievably retarded. Justice is a word that needs nothing more added to it. If anything is added to the word justice, it automatically stops being, well, justice. I heard that you crazy westerners have, somehow, implemented a very strange system (forgot the name of said system) that gives minorities benefits just for the lolz of it. How did that even come to pass?

Also, am I the only one that gets triggered each time I hear, or have to say, social justice "warriors"? Maybe because the word warrior is hallowed in my culture, and its unfitting to associate a bunch of unreasonable and degenerate wimpy shits (which the very vast majority of them are) with said word.
It's just the cat Image

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:20 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 am
I heard that you crazy westerners have, somehow, implemented a very strange system (forgot the name of said system) that gives minorities benefits just for the lolz of it. How did that even come to pass?
A response to Jim Crowe laws, and the continued oppression and segregation of minorities long after those laws were overturned. For a time minorities weren't even considered for a spot in higher education or for certain jobs and the laws were a tool to combat that. Historically, they make perfect sense if you bother to well, look at what the times were like when those laws came to pass.

Really the only issues with the laws is they haven't aged well, segregation is no longer a primary issue, the divide between the rich and poor is. The laws themselves simply need to be adjusted accordingly to use wealth as the marker for who receives aid instead of purely racial considerations.

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:06 pm

I get benefits for being colored in more than a good amount of this forum heh