God

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.

Moderators: Moderator, Admin, Developer

Trandafir

Re: God

Post by Trandafir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:21 am

So is god a pure elf? Or he just has a nomgorger like them?
"I'm coming in." - Finn Wolfhard

Trandafir

Post by Trandafir » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:22 am

Wait

IS R'ly'eth'iend'iel'iest'exoriex'lth Sasquepetch'lith'tondriel GOD?
"I'm coming in." - Finn Wolfhard

Wint

Post by Wint » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:23 am

HOW COULD HAVE I BEEN SO BLIND?!
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher

CanadianCake

Post by CanadianCake » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:53 am

I think it was the first one Wholey
Octavia_Greyye wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:21 am
Kill me daddy

Wint

Post by Wint » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:57 am

🔥
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher

ButteryPancake

Post by ButteryPancake » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:02 pm

I thought I'd see some actual debate, not jokes about God...

... I guess God is a joke.
I'm happy.

Wint

Post by Wint » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Wint wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:43 am
A negative claim is a colloquialism for an affirmative claim that asserts the non-existence or exclusion of something. Saying "You cannot prove a negative" is a pseudologic because there are many proofs that substantiate negative claims in mathematics, science, and economics. There can be multiple claims within a debate. Nevertheless, whoever makes a claim carries the burden of proof regardless of positive or negative content in the claim.

ButteryPancake

Post by ButteryPancake » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:36 pm

Wint wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm
Wint wrote:
A negative claim is a colloquialism for an affirmative claim that asserts the non-existence or exclusion of something. Saying "You cannot prove a negative" is a pseudologic because there are many proofs that substantiate negative claims in mathematics, science, and economics. There can be multiple claims within a debate. Nevertheless, whoever makes a claim carries the burden of proof regardless of positive or negative content in the claim.
Yet nobody has gone through the trouble of backing up their claims, both positive and negative, with evidence or at least a semi-solid argument.
I'm happy.

UmbraSight

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:28 pm

Wint wrote:
There is a world of difference between saying "God is not real" and "religion has not met its burden of proof, thus I do not believe." Depending on your atheist, either of those statements could be what they mean. Chances are, however, most atheist would fall under the second category rather than the first which means that they aren't making a claim. However, those that are in the first group are making an assertion and will have to back it up.

However, for that first group, the fact that there is no substantial evidence pointing towards a god existing is an argument they can makek
//...from the stillness, shifting. From the silence, a gasp...//Fall of the Aelir Isles Vol III

Wint

Post by Wint » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:51 pm

People don't necessarily land in specific boxes.
If, hypothetically, someone could summon God, people could test their beliefs in interviews or anything else they might think off. In that case, denying his existence would end up being just that; denial.
What you're describing in the second option is, for the most part, an agnostic atheist.
But the thing is, both could say that religion doesn't have enough evidence. It doesn't matter which box they supposedly land in.
There are scientists who work on the field of evolution who believe in God and have found ways that make the two beliefs coexist, but it doesn't necessarily mean that God does or does not exist.
You can claim what you will, but since the initial claim was that there is a God and not that there isn't, that's what's needed to be proven.
I can very well say that there is a pink pebble with wings that can fly on our planet Earth, but until you've examined them all, you can't truly claim that there isn't one, regardless of how ridiculous that claim may be (rocks are inanimate, how would the wings attach, how would the wings get their chemical energy...).
But the point is that you don't have to find evidence to support the fact that there isn't a flying pink stone on planet Earth. It's my responsibility to prove that there is one in the first place.