Roleplaying Sections

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Trandafir
Gold

Roleplaying Sections

Post by Trandafir » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:54 am

What are the roleplaying sections for? Are they really useful? What does in mean to have a roleplay in inter or advanced? Are roleplayers who write in advanced better writers than those in casual by default?

Let's discuss
Hey! Isn't it funny we all want what isn't right?

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: Roleplaying Sections

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 pm

They serve as a guideline; a means to challenge and better yourself. Having a set length to aim for with each post can help you expand and solidify a personal woritkng style as you find ways to describe scenes and the internal conflicts of the characters you control. Furthermore, by having this vague length that you as a write must consistently strive for, it'll almost become second nature. Because, well, that is how practice and repetition works.

Now, this is the part where we start to look at the idea a bit more; so let's start small. Is being able to post longer the same as producing a good post? Simple answer? No.

Length is only proof that something is long. Two people could write about the same idea, one for four sentences and the other for sixteen, it is entirely possible for the one who wrote four to produce something astounding while his longer winded colleague to write something worthy of only a shrug and a headache. However, when we used a longer post gives the writer more space to develop ideas.

Now; does this mean that your average Advanced RPer is better than your average Casual? Eeeh, how are we defining "better" or "average"? And what do we do about the casual members who constantly hit intermediate or advanced minimums but also refuse to try the other sections out? Do we use them for "average"?

And what about crossection roleplayers who happily role play in all the different sections or two of the three?
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:56 am

UmbraSight wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:24 pm
They serve as a guideline; a means to challenge and better yourself. Having a set length to aim for with each post can help you expand and solidify a personal woritkng style as you find ways to describe scenes and the internal conflicts of the characters you control. Furthermore, by having this vague length that you as a write must consistently strive for, it'll almost become second nature. Because, well, that is how practice and repetition works.

Now, this is the part where we start to look at the idea a bit more; so let's start small. Is being able to post longer the same as producing a good post? Simple answer? No.

Length is only proof that something is long. Two people could write about the same idea, one for four sentences and the other for sixteen, it is entirely possible for the one who wrote four to produce something astounding while his longer winded colleague to write something worthy of only a shrug and a headache. However, when we used a longer post gives the writer more space to develop ideas.

Now; does this mean that your average Advanced RPer is better than your average Casual? Eeeh, how are we defining "better" or "average"? And what do we do about the casual members who constantly hit intermediate or advanced minimums but also refuse to try the other sections out? Do we use them for "average"?

And what about crossection roleplayers who happily role play in all the different sections or two of the three?
No

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:59 am

Good talk~
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Trandafir
Gold

Post by Trandafir » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 am

I don't see the sections as a way to challenge yourself, not for everyone at least. You can have them for that reason personally, but I think the reason they exist in this forums and many others is to keep content balanced among the roleplayers. If you like writing long posts with multiple paragraphs it is best to rp with someone who'll deliver something simmilar. When you write long posts and roleplays with someone who writes considerably less, odds are that you'll write less as well, because you'll be given less information to work on. Less or more, there isn't a right way, but the balance is needed I think.

And yep, I agree that length isn't the same as good content. There are bad short posts and bad long posts; the thing is that the bad short post doesn't give you much info and the long one can be boring to read.

There's so much more to take in consideration when judging the quality of a roleplayer. For starters, the consistency of the character. How they are written, their dialogues, how they are developed. There's also the thing if their grammar and spelling is good or not, how creative they are when writing for the story, how descriptive they get and how good their descriptions are to make the reader have the best experience visualizing the scene they are setting up...

Anyway, that's me saying that no, advanced doesn't equal good and casual doesn't equal bad.

I honestly don't like the idea of casual/intermediate/advanced roleplayER. I think there are cas/inter/adv roleplays, but people shouldn't limit themselves to those labels. There's nothing wrong with sticking to a section, but everyone can roleplay in advanced. All you gotta do is write a bunch of words. Thing is, it comes easier for some, while others may struggle a lot with it to the point of not being fun. So if you don't like writing big posts there's nothing wrong with sticking to casual or inter.

I think everyone should strive to improve, because well, writing is a skill like many others and I think the idea of being able to improve is what makes it so delightful. I don't think I'd have as much fun writing if I couldn't see my old writing and my current one and see massive improvement. But I don't think people need to improve to check out other sections. By improving I'm scratching grammar and spelling from the list. Google is a bless, and everyone get to spell check their posts if they aren't lazy.
Hey! Isn't it funny we all want what isn't right?

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Delfi wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:46 am
I don't see the sections as a way to challenge yourself, not for everyone at least. You can have them for that reason personally, but I think the reason they exist in this forums and many others is to keep content balanced among the roleplayers. If you like writing long posts with multiple paragraphs it is best to rp with someone who'll deliver something simmilar. When you write long posts and roleplays with someone who writes considerably less, odds are that you'll write less as well, because you'll be given less information to work on. Less or more, there isn't a right way, but the balance is needed I think.

And yep, I agree that length isn't the same as good content. There are bad short posts and bad long posts; the thing is that the bad short post doesn't give you much info and the long one can be boring to read.

There's so much more to take in consideration when judging the quality of a roleplayer. For starters, the consistency of the character. How they are written, their dialogues, how they are developed. There's also the thing if their grammar and spelling is good or not, how creative they are when writing for the story, how descriptive they get and how good their descriptions are to make the reader have the best experience visualizing the scene they are setting up...

Anyway, that's me saying that no, advanced doesn't equal good and casual doesn't equal bad.

I honestly don't like the idea of casual/intermediate/advanced roleplayER. I think there are cas/inter/adv roleplays, but people shouldn't limit themselves to those labels. There's nothing wrong with sticking to a section, but everyone can roleplay in advanced. All you gotta do is write a bunch of words. Thing is, it comes easier for some, while others may struggle a lot with it to the point of not being fun. So if you don't like writing big posts there's nothing wrong with sticking to casual or inter.

I think everyone should strive to improve, because well, writing is a skill like many others and I think the idea of being able to improve is what makes it so delightful. I don't think I'd have as much fun writing if I couldn't see my old writing and my current one and see massive improvement. But I don't think people need to improve to check out other sections. By improving I'm scratching grammar and spelling from the list. Google is a bless, and everyone get to spell check their posts if they aren't lazy.
Yes

Nathanswift2

Post by Nathanswift2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 pm

I personally greatly condone the use of sections, mainly as a means of corralling individuals of differing literary talent in their proper niches. I would not want a brainless twit writing "-uses the gun-" in response to my own sizable posts, doubtless as the twit would find multiple complex paragraphs requiring deep thought lacking fun for their own roleplays.
I seek Truth above all means.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Nathanswift2 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 pm
I personally greatly condone the use of sections, mainly as a means of corralling individuals of differing literary talent in their proper niches. I would not want a brainless twit writing "-uses the gun-" in response to my own sizable posts, doubtless as the twit would find multiple complex paragraphs requiring deep thought lacking fun for their own roleplays.
If they're anything like what you've written here, so far, I've no doubt that they would.

Nathanswift2

Post by Nathanswift2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 pm

Oh, no, this is nowhere near the length and intricacy of my typical post.
I seek Truth above all means.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:20 pm

Nathanswift2 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:18 pm
Oh, no, this is nowhere near the length and intricacy of my typical post.
Could you give us a writing sample, please?