How Much Did He Lose?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
FlameRolePlay

How Much Did He Lose?

Post by FlameRolePlay » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 pm

A lady walks in the store and steals a $100 bill from the register, without the owners knowledge. She comes back 5 minutes later and buys $70 worth of goods with the $100 bill. The owner gives her $30 in change, how much did the owner lose?

A. $30
B. $70
C. $100
D. $130
E. $170
F. $200

Do not over think it!

Just a little test I wanted to do, not really sure if this would even fit as a debate topic, but it will probably eventually turn into a debate.

The answer is really simple, I don't mean to sound cocky or overconfident but I am quite sure that my answer to this question is correct.

Snowskeeper

Re: How Much Did He Lose?

Post by Snowskeeper » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:25 am

C. She may have given some of the actual money back, but the goods she bought have apparently been valued at $70, and she kept $30 of it.

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Agreed. 100$
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher

FlameRolePlay

Post by FlameRolePlay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Well, seeing as how I don't think many other people will post their opinions, I'll state what I think.

I believe that the answer would be A. That the owner lost thirty dollars, here's why;

So initially the woman stole one hundred dollars, meaning the store owner lost one hundred dollars, however, when the woman came back and bought seventy dollars worth of goods with the one hundred dollar bill she stole, she basically gave the store owner the whole one hundred back. However, since the woman's purchase equaled to seventy, and she paid with a one hundred bill, the she would be given change, in the form of thirty dollars, meaning that the store owner only lost thirty dollars.

AeronGrey

Post by AeronGrey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:07 pm

So we are to believe that the grocery store owner gets all of his produce for free? No, he is out $100. Don't believe me? $70 worth of groceries plus the $30 of ill-gotten money she got back as change. Since the drawer was already short a hundred, when she "paid" $70, it was only short by $30. But she effectively stole $100 all together, but only $30 in cash.
Last edited by AeronGrey on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AeronGrey wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm
"Stop quoting me!!" -Aeron

FlameRolePlay

Post by FlameRolePlay » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:20 pm

I guess that's fair, perhaps I'm wrong. But either way, all money taken would still go back to him. Seeing as how the money was stolen from a register, and then spent at said same register five minutes later, all the money, except for thirty dollars would be going back to the place it was before.

But now, as I write this, I realized I am flawed, but I don't want to edit my post. I completely forgot about tax, and any sort of register fees, plus, there'd be no way she could accidentally spend exactly seventy dollars anyway. I'm sure your right, but I'd still like to stand by my answer, which may or may not be a rough estimate.

AeronGrey

Post by AeronGrey » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:29 pm

The question was "how much did he lose". If we were asking "how much did he lose in cash", you would be correct. Only $30.
AeronGrey wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm
"Stop quoting me!!" -Aeron

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:00 am

As a retail worker, I've been taught that when goods are stolen, the store is losing money equivalent to the value of the goods (how much they would sell for). Goods bought with money stolen from the same store are stolen goods. It's just adding an extra step to try and overcomplicate things. In the end, the thief makes off with 30 dollars in cash and 70 dollars worth of goods, and the store is short 100 dollars in cash from the original thievery. The thief steals the equivalent of 100 dollars; just because you use money stolen from a place and then use it to buy goods from them, it doesn't erase the amount you stole, just converts the worth into another form.

I steal two pieces of jewellery from you without you knowing, then trade one of those pieces I stole for one of your other pieces. Did I only steal one piece of jewellery now? No, it's still two. You're still short two pieces.
Doki-Doki Channel
BLACKOUT
~
Forum FAQ
~
"To bear the brunt of blizzard's kiss and snare the wind to fingertips."

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:14 am

FlameRolePlay wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:20 pm
I guess that's fair, perhaps I'm wrong. But either way, all money taken would still go back to him. Seeing as how the money was stolen from a register, and then spent at said same register five minutes later, all the money, except for thirty dollars would be going back to the place it was before.

But now, as I write this, I realized I am flawed, but I don't want to edit my post. I completely forgot about tax, and any sort of register fees, plus, there'd be no way she could accidentally spend exactly seventy dollars anyway. I'm sure your right, but I'd still like to stand by my answer, which may or may not be a rough estimate.
If she's purchasing $70 worth of goods, the store is not getting that money back, because those goods were worth $70.

This isn't hard.

FlameRolePlay

Post by FlameRolePlay » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:18 am

Sheeeeit I've been had. And here I thought I was smart enough to get the right answer.

I did say not to overthink, but I believe that I under thought(even though that's not really a phrase) I completely forgot to factor in the fact that the thief is still running off with free goods, geez, I should've looked at the bigger picture instead of think that my answer as completely and utterly correct.