Should you beat children?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Shadow101

Re: Should you beat children?

Post by Shadow101 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:51 pm

dark butterfly I could't have said it better myself...

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Having read everyone's post, I can conclude that my domestic 'education' was quite unique.

Sure, I was beaten up by my father, however, i was allowed to hit back.

He was always a peculiar man, with a reputation that clearly stated that he was not someone you could mess with. To explain better...

"So, who're your parents?

"It's *father's name* and..."

"Oh, really? Well, i just remembered i have an appointment... an important one, so I'll just be going."

"Don't worry, he died years back."

"He did? Did you... make sure?"

His beatings were always severe, and even though i was a child, i believe he rarely held back. One time when i did not hold guard, i got KO'ed with a roundhouse kick. No matter how trivial the matter was, punishment was inevitable. Good times.

However i was always encouraged to defend myself. I remember one time, when my brother got beaten up, and i wasn't around, he took out a rather girthy stick, and swung at me. Upon standing still, he asked me why am i such a pussy and letting some asshole (referring to himself) use me like a punching bag. Then, he handed me the stick, and informed me that i was about to g et fucked up in a few moments.

Moat of the time, i was the one that got the thicker end if the stick (literally), though i could always throw a low blow, or stomp on his toes.

He believed himself to be a great pedagogue, and that he was the best father for steeling me to face the shit life will put me up with. He taught me never to bend be for anyone, and that the only real authority is God - to never lie, not speak more than necessary, though always make my opinion heard, no matter how it may affect someone else. Stay true to, and protect my beliefs as beast as i could. Though i don't agree with his methods, seeing as this could have easily made me a frightened wimp, with severe PTSD instead of what i am now, i guess that the lessons he did teach me came in handy later. Though my sharp tongue not so much lol.

A few days before his death, he wrote a note that my mother gave me after the funeral. He was not an eloquent man really, but could understand what he wanted to say. It read "Keep your head high, and don't be a pussy son."

Quite poetic I'd say.
It's just the cat Image

bastecklein
Site Admin

Post by bastecklein » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:51 am

You shouldn’t beat anybody.
Owner of Role Playing Forums and Ape Apps

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:19 am

I strongly disagree.

There are quite a few people in need for a knee in their teeth.
It's just the cat Image

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:39 pm

Which likely wouldn't change their nature any, just make them dig in more.
But hey, at least you would feel better I suppose~
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 am

Actually, that doesn't need to be necessarily true. I guess that since we are talking about raising children and young adults, this would not be so off topic.

In my school (one that is a boarding school), you get abused both physically and psychically - all for the goal of steeling you up, or so they say.

When you first arrive here, on your first year, you are supposed to be like the air. Unnoticeable, less a senior needs something to be done for him. Now, those that were unwise, thought that they could change a system that has been around for 182 years. They would refuse to do chores, make smart comments, and generally be disobedient.

Now, once a single man fucks something up, the whole grade gets punished. Or better yet, after a whole day of misery and torture, he gets sent to sleep, while we all have to stand in silence around his bed for eight hours.

Naturally, this would make us bring down horrible, divine retribution on the poor man. In the form of beating the fucker with short iron rods (they were hollow) that we detached from our closets. Some would hold a few blankets over him, while the rest would swing like enraged, crazed animals - no mercy found in their bloodshot, sleep deprived eyes.

Needless to day, they *fixed* themselves.
It's just the cat Image

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm

There's a fine line between disciplinary action and abuse. Giving a child some taps on the butt cheek compared to Spartan kicking them for not doing their homework are two separate occasions. When I was spanked, I remembered the pain and didn't do the thing that got me spanked because I knew the effect of my action.

Shadow101

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:57 pm

Agreed Shaflow

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:03 pm

You had no choice in the matter.

YOU HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME!

DatGuyDusty

Post by DatGuyDusty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:11 pm

No. Unless they punch you, no you shouldn't. Beating people doesn't change anything, if anything it creates fear and anger that bottles up inside.

Then it'll crack. Then burst, and that kid is now beating someone else up. It's just not worth the 'oh I'm your superior'. There are some expections, like a light smack or if they attack you or someone else near you.
Image 𝔸 𝕟𝕖𝕣𝕕𝕪 𝕕𝕨𝕖𝕖𝕓 | ᴀᴄᴛɪᴠᴇ ᴜꜱᴜᴀʟʟʏ | 𝔇𝔬𝔫'𝔱 𝔟𝔢 𝔞𝔣𝔯𝔞𝔦𝔡 𝔱𝔬 𝓟𝓜 |
|T̵r̴a̴s̷h̵y̶ ̵A̵r̶t̶ ̸(̶T̵h̴a̴t̷ ̸I̷ ̵m̴a̸y̶ ̷s̴t̵a̵r̷t̵ ̷p̴o̴s̸t̶i̵n̸g̴.̷)̵ |