Should you beat children?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Shadow101

Re: Should you beat children?

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Really lol... I know we agree on alot of stuff.. But Gheezz lol..

Shadow101

Post by Shadow101 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Let me give you an example that happens to me DatGuy my child is 3. When he acts up I ask if he want's a pop. He says no pop and stops acting up. Ijs......

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 pm

I think it depends on the kid. Some respond well to corporal discipline (and by this, I solely mean spanking), while in others it only fosters resentment or fear. As a parent, it's your job to know your kid best, so you should know the best way to handle them.
Doki-Doki Channel
BLACKOUT
~
Forum FAQ
~
"To bear the brunt of blizzard's kiss and snare the wind to fingertips."

ShaFlow
Bronze

Post by ShaFlow » Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Annasiel wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:04 pm
I think it depends on the kid. Some respond well to corporal discipline (and by this, I solely mean spanking), while in others it only fosters resentment or fear. As a parent, it's your job to know your kid best, so you should know the best way to handle them.
Well said. I can get with this.
"Yeah I might be a pebble...but I'll be the pebble...that shatters a diamond!"

Nathanswift2

Post by Nathanswift2 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:32 pm

Fear is good. It's how you get them to obey. Resentment just means you're not hitting them hard enough. They should be grateful for all you give them, raise them to act like it.
I seek Truth above all means.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

Nathanswift2 wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:32 pm
Fear is good. It's how you get them to obey. Resentment just means you're not hitting them hard enough. They should be grateful for all you give them, raise them to act like it.
That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:17 am

At the end, there appears to be no sort of universal method of raising a child that can be applied to every of the mentioned.
Time heals? You don't stop being hungry after not eating for so long, you die.

ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Post by ButteryPancake » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:39 am

Beat them if you want either a wimp or an abuser.

Avoid beating them if you want either a wimp or an abuser.

It all ends the same in a global overview. As each person is a different world, different methods work for each. Some learn better when being handled by a tough hand, others learn better with soft words; more than having one method for all, you must adapt your methods to the person you're teaching. I've seen people with a faster learning rate(Or simply really good understanding) be educated successfully with just words, while most of the more reactive(Or merely those who don't get words at all) population go better with the punishment and reward methods. There is no "correct" way to teach everyone, because by applying a successful method to a whole different subject you may end up raising a spoiled child.

In conclusion, and cutting my words short due to lack of time, sleep and whatnot; you should "beat" them only if the case allows this method to work optimally. Otherwise, you'd just be spending useless violent methods in a subject that would've easily learned with an explanation of why is [insert their bad action] a bad thing.
Should you be lucky enough to balance the correct number of murdered babies with adequate hours of volunteer service at children's cancer hospitals, you'll end up Neutral.

The Alt-Rick

Post by The Alt-Rick » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:50 pm

I don't understand why a child should be beaten. Ok it's obnoxious... so what? Everyone's obnoxious. In reality it's just a vain attempt to fit them into the confines of the culture. It's incredibly crude and inefficient at it. They'll learn on their own eventually trust me.

Do I actually care? No. It's hard to enforce anyway... I can tell you right now if I had a kid I'd never hit them. Be neglectful and fuck them up in other ways probably, (use their head as a hookah table lol) but no. I don't see what they could possibly do to warrant even mundane violence as when you really think about it a child's "badness" is extremely petty and powerless in the scope of my and everybody's life as an adult. May as well go around poisoning ant-hills because one bit me.

I like how me and Fumikawa basically said the same thing just from the perspective of a good and bad parent lol. Sitcom already in the works.

Snake Eyes

Post by Snake Eyes » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:11 pm

Well, if the attempt was vain or not really depends on the results, wouldn't you agree?

Then, there the question lays, should a child be enforced to fit that, somewhat odd, frame of culture? Sure, you could raise him or her outside of it, but in a way, they would be considered an outsider.

If society was a living, breathing organism (which it arguably is), then it's immune system will trigger, and attack foreign objects. Maybe in some situations ir environments, it is actually better to force the child to fit the mentioned frame?
Time heals? You don't stop being hungry after not eating for so long, you die.