Should you beat children?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Snake Eyes

Should you beat children?

Post by Snake Eyes » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:57 am

There has always been the question of what kind of punishment, if any, a child should receive for something they did that breaks the rules set by their parents or teacher. Some say that inflicting physical harm is simply bad pedagogy, while others would argue that there is no other way to explain what a "no no" is to a kid who couldn't comprehend it otherwise.

What do you think?

What are your own experiences regarding this matter?
Time heals? You don't stop being hungry after not eating for so long, you die.

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Re: Should you beat children?

Post by Myrn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:46 pm

I went through the typical Latina mom physically hurting me over dumb things I did as a child, I thought it was normal then seeing how it started nearly from infancy so never could remember a time where there wasn't hitting. Went through the belts, hangars, shoes, plenty of threats, one being about burning my hand on the gas stove. I will say there is always an alternative than to rely on physically hurting your own children. But that's just my perspective after going through years of physical, mental, and emotional abuse. I say abuse as I feel my mother had crossed the line and used me as a stress relief for her pent up anger alongside more than just leaving bruises on me. And the minute it becomes like a routine for every small thing, the child will lose all trust in that parent and start becoming secretive to avoid getting caught.

They will no longer trust you enough to ever be open about anything no matter how many times you tell them "you won't get mad". Their feelings become invalid and they will bottle every little thing you ever done to them. The child will begin to play a facade around that parent and sooner or later that parent won't recognize their child anymore. "I never raised them to be like this, I never showed them such and such" They see it as a sudden change or a phase, but it was years upon years of holding back and not knowing how to vent.

This is my personal take on it and I see physically harming your child as a crutch from finding an alternative way to work through their behavior with a cool level head. I understand parents worry and have problems constantly on their mind that leaves them on that last straw but that doesn't mean they have the right to take out their frustrations on their own children.
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Balgair Arregaithel

Post by Balgair Arregaithel » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:45 pm

There are much better ways to handle discipline, and practice it. I was an awful child, a lot of issues I won't go into. My parents handled it professionally. I hated a lot of things, but I especially hated going outside or anything to do with school. I loved my gaming system, my computer, everything fun. I learned my own way from games, actually. So, whenever I fucked up, I'd be grounded. Pissed me off a lot, but that's just me. Still hate school or going outside, at that.
"A pitiful cry of the damned. Chèr...What do you think?"
~Writings of Darcy Witchmist

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:56 pm

It should be used as a last resort, or if the situation is severe enough to warrant one. Maybe just a hard slap to the cheek or multiple smacks on the buttocks, but a parent should never go overboard - just enough that the child learns a lesson and won't do it again.
*sterile cough*

Austin

Post by Austin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:57 am

A child should be spanked, yes. But they should be spanked when it's called for. Some situations call for a sit down and talk. I personally would usually have a talk with my dad. I also did get spanked with a metal spoon on other occasions.
For the kingdom of God awaits me, for I am saved by the blood of christ

ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Post by ButteryPancake » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:47 am

I have little to none experiences with beatings(When I was the victim, that is) since I was fast to pick up stuff. The first time I cried in public my mother twisted my arm in an odd angle, I never cried again in public and made sure to ask if it was okay to have things instead of the typical "I want that tooooy."

Although I didn't have the best childhood, I was very smart from a young age and understood the why's and how's of many things children don't nowadays. I believe it's all about communication and how do we reach our children, to make sure they get the point. Rewarding them always for doing what is right shouldn't be a thing in my opinion, it raises a child that only does good to obtain gratification instead of doing it because it's the right thing to do, or worse, simply to avoid a punishment. Talking should be the first resource, along with understanding. When the child crosses a line, however, a hard hand is required to set them back in the right path.

Many would argue against hitting a child, and that the old ways of raising kids leave emotional trauma and whatsoever; but to me it seems like the new "non-violent" measurements are raising spoiled kids, not to mention oversensitive. I'm not saying we should just beat them senselessly, but instead finding a good balance between words and action.

I'd say more, better words, but sleepy posters gotta cut it short before we say something veeeeery stupid.
Should you be lucky enough to balance the correct number of murdered babies with adequate hours of volunteer service at children's cancer hospitals, you'll end up Neutral.

ShaFlow
Bronze

Post by ShaFlow » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:28 am

As a kid I got beat(because I deserved it). I wasn't a really bad kid, I had my issues but whatever I got as a kid I deserved. I got the belt, the slaps to the head, the pulling of the hair, the punches to the body and stuff thrown at me. Now some of it was unwarranted like my dad 'ORAORAORAing' me in the arm for saying something slick to a teacher(I was eight leave me alone)! I eventually got used to it, and it toughened me up a bit. However that's how I individually developed and it can't be said for everyone else.

I think if a kid deserves a woopin, then by all means give them the strap. Sometimes leaving a strap mark on their behind and almost the inability to sit is a good reminder to not do what they did. This doesn't mean break their jaw, or even falcon punch a kid, because kids are kids and do stupid things. There are levels.
"Yeah I might be a pebble...but I'll be the pebble...that shatters a diamond!"

Shadow101

Post by Shadow101 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:59 pm

I agree with Shaflow I believe in spanking and discipline. Spanking should stop around 8 yrs old or so then you go into grounding. if you are spanking a kid at 14 something is wrong.

Cole Turisoka

Post by Cole Turisoka » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:24 pm

I feel like it belongs at a medium. If you never show that your words are backed with power what is the kid going to do? Likely, I feel they will challenge your authority. So, once in a while if they choose to act up. You show them they aren't powerful enough to afford that. My Nephews are smart kids, they picked up fast that their uncle won't take shit. They wanna act up and fight? Fine, they will fight me and lose. :/ Sadly, I digress it should only be used to prove the point and then it should slip into more of a threat.

However, if you refuse to hit the kid, break a door or two make em believe you are truly insane enough to kill em. Cause that way you aren't abusing them... your abusing that door you were tired of seeing. : )

[Just in case your taking this entire thing as serious, it wasn't. Though, in all honesty I do think that you should be a firm person with children and teach them that your words hold meaning. Sometimes that means giving em a good spanking.)

InquisitorRothus
Bronze

Post by InquisitorRothus » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:37 am

Mercilessly, whenever something goes wrong.

But seriously, I wouldn't say "beat" more like strict discipline. Make them go outside and pull a switch from a tree, make them bring it back to you, then whip them with the switch, just like the good old days.
You will learn about our loving and forgiving God or you will DIE!