Where, oh where?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
ShaFlow
Bronze

Re: Where, oh where?

Post by ShaFlow » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:00 am

I have an answer. He is my reflection considering where I'm standing. Since I am man.
"Yeah I might be a pebble...but I'll be the pebble...that shatters a diamond!"

Fang

Post by Fang » Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:31 pm

Seems to me that the only person who should be commenting upon these interpretations is the original poster themselves. Regardless of how you feel about another's answer personally, your scope and understanding of the purpose of this thread does not equal that of the original poster. This was not your idea, and so you must abide by what the original poster asked for. Therefore, if you are not sharing your interpretation you are off topic, and this thread will have degraded into a chat. As Ihachi already provided a thread for that purpose that would render this thread as spam and I would be forced to delete it. Stop arguing. Stay on topic.

I can see many different answers to this test, from the simple to the complex. My initial answer was that it was simply my past self, though that is because I am male and immediately shifted the perspective to my own eyes as the riddle requested.

I then thought that person this "man" was intended to be a representation of metaphysical beliefs, and in that rabbit hole found far too many other answers that I would be satisfied in giving. For the sake of brevity, and for the sake of what seems like pop psychology, I will simply give my initial thought.

The man is my past self.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:14 pm

Ammending my previous answer.

The man is piloting a giant robot. The giant robot is currently holding a television screen stolen from Times Square, which is projecting his image as he delivers his demands to a crowd of onlookers. None of his demands will be met, as giant robots are vulnerable to missiles, but nonetheless, far away man who I can see clearly.

Reyn
Member+

Post by Reyn » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:00 am

man-astronomer-looking-telescope-27116142.jpg
man-astronomer-looking-telescope-27116142.jpg (106.12 KiB) Viewed 787 times
<-- Here we go, GALAXY BURST! -->

AeronGrey

Post by AeronGrey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 am

Exactly what I thought. The real question is not "where is the man" but "why do I see him clearly if he is so far away." Once you understand this, the answer to "where the man is" become's clear. Where is he? Answer: far away. It said so right in the riddle, so immediately ideas like a reflection or a painting become ridiculous. As to the answer of why we can see him clearly if the man is far away, a man-made device like a lense, camera or telescope. That or you and the man are inside of an enormous vacuum, which just seems a little unlikely.
Last edited by AeronGrey on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
AeronGrey wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 3:47 pm
"Stop quoting me!!" -Aeron

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 am

AeronGrey wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:52 am
Exactly what I thought. The real question is not "where is the man" but "why do I see him clearly if he is so far away." Once you understand this, the answer to "where the man is"become's clear. Where is he? Answer: far away. It said so right in the riddle, so immediately ideas like a reflection or a painting become ridiculous. As to the answer of why we can see them clearly if the man is far away, a man-made device like a lense, camera or telescope. That or you and the man are inside of an enormous vacuum, which just seems a little unlikely.
A painting of a man only contains his image, not his person. If you're looking at a painting of him, he could be on the other side of the world and still be clear to you.

So no, not worthy of ridicule.

AeronGrey

Post by AeronGrey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 am

A painting of a man contains an artist's interpretation of his image, like you say, not his person. When you look at it, all you see is only this artistic rendition, not the man himself. Even a photograph is merely a copy. You can only see the real man with your real eyes in real life. Physically, anyway. I took it for granted that the riddle wasn't asking "where is the man emotionally?".
AeronGrey wrote:

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 am

You are making assumptions over things which are not in the riddle. The riddle does not stipulate that you are looking at a real man, nor does it provide any hints as to the mediums through which you are viewing said man through. Hell, the concept of "distance" is open for interpretation. As physical distance is not the only form it takes.

"You see a man far away, but you can see him clearly. Where is he?"

I do not see where reflection or paintings become ridiculous, beyond you have arbitrarily provided your own definitions to concepts in the riddle and have decided that ideas that do not fall within that narrow band do not count.

You can stand close to a paining or a photograph, but you would still be "far" from the depicted moment. Paintings and photographs are products of the past, and depict images which have come and gone. Further when it comes to artistic renditions the concept of "far" can also imply the differences in ideology and perspective between you and the artist.

It is further not stated to be a real man, only that he is far away. It is vague, so suddenly deciding that it is a real man isn't supported by the text. It is a typical linguistic trick to say something in such a way that a reader or listener can misinterpret. Telescopic lenses are the path riddle are leading you towards, but I don't see where it provides enough evidence to support the claim that it is the only answer.

The crux of your argument seems to be "it must be a real person" and I ask where in the text does it say that? It only tells you that he is far, that he can be seen clearly and then asks where he is. Given the nature of the riddle, I do not see how "in a painting" is any sillier than "standing on that hill over 'yander."
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:20 pm

AeronGrey wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:52 am
A painting of a man contains an artist's interpretation of his image, like you say, not his person. When you look at it, all you see is only this artistic rendition, not the man himself. Even a photograph is merely a copy. You can only see the real man with your real eyes in real life. Physically, anyway. I took it for granted that the riddle wasn't asking "where is the man emotionally?".
You're not seeing a man when you look at him with your eyes, either. You're only "seeing" an image generated by your eyes using light reflected from objects within the environment. You can never see an individual's person, any more than you can see the true nature of a table. You can only interpret it based on the given information.

AeronGrey

Post by AeronGrey » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:34 pm

The point that both of you are missing is that the riddle tells you the answer. It doesn't matter if the man is real, a cardboard cut out, imaginary or a painting of an aloof and emotionally distant man. Where is he? Far away. Because that IS what it stipulates in the riddle.

Imagine I asked a riddle like "A red fire truck is driving to a burning building. What color is the truck?" Answer? It's red. Yes, red doesn't really exist because your eye is just perceiving the light bouncing off the truck as red light, but the fucking truck is still fucking red because the riddle says so.
Last edited by AeronGrey on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AeronGrey wrote: