Where, oh where?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.

Moderators: Moderator, Admin, Developer

Erik Black

Where, oh where?

Post by Erik Black » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:02 pm

A common, and rather simple question. Yet, no matter who you ask, they will always overthink it, or not think enough. I say common, because I've asked it quite a lot in my life. It goes as this.

You see a man far away, but you can see him clearly. Where is he?

Despite the simplicity of the question, or light riddle, I ask it because of my inordinate fascination with the way other minds process the question, and how so many people can come up with so many answers. In my time of doing this, I've found only three people have shared the same or roughly similar answers. So, I'm going to present it to you. Call yourselves guinea pigs to my fascination with the human mind, and tell me.

Where is he, if he's so far yet you can see him clearly?
"Where's the grin you just wore? Did I break it from your lips?"

Erik Black

Re: Where, oh where?

Post by Erik Black » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:03 pm

A lite side note- There is no true or false answer to this question.

UmbraSight

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:09 pm

Really didn't think about it much; he is in a painting.
//...from the stillness, shifting. From the silence, a gasp...//Fall of the Aelir Isles Vol III

Erik Black

Post by Erik Black » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:19 pm

That's one of the rarest answers I'd receive. An estimated ratio, about one out of every fifty people I've asked, has answered with that. I've lost count, but it's always intriguing, to learn how much people think. I've seen the most creative from women, and the bluntest from men.

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:22 am

He's clearly an alien. From mars. Made entirely of pudding. Covered in buzzing flies.

So the fact that I see him clearly from far away obv. just means that because his outline is actually blurry and fuzzy, the fact that he's blurry and fuzzy from distance doesn't really change anything.

Annasiel
Admin

Post by Annasiel » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:31 am

Oooh, what fun! I love riddles.

Given there's a variety of answers, and your own motivations for posting, I'm tempted to detail my thought process.

Initially, my mind went to spyglasses, cameras, and other things of the sort. If you had left off your reasoning behind asking, I would have quickly dismissed this answer, as I tend towards overthinking. Because I know your motives, however, I'll let you know my first impression. After that, I thought for a while...

Umbra's answer doesn't relate to me much superficially, as even if the man is in a painting, his physical proximity (being paint) would be near. Of course, if you take into account it being a matter of perspective, this can be circumvented, but things drawn far away in paintings tend to be low in detail. You could also argue the man being a painting lends itself a sort of "emotional distance," so even if the man is drawn near and in detail, there's still a barrier between you and him.

That lead me on a tangent regarding emotional distance, and left me the answer that feels right to me (I understand there isn't really a proper answer, but this is the one I like the most):

The ponderer is the man, and the distance is emotional. Whatever context that's occurred has left them far away from their own senses, apathetic and cold, yet they are still able to see themselves in full (most likely scathingly objective) detail.

Where is the man? They're in my own flesh, yet in terms of affect, far from themselves. Far from myself. This would also lend the disjointed, distant perspective necessary for the ponderer to view himself as a separate subject. ("You see a man," not "You see yourself.")

I also want to add, isn't it slightly contradictory to say you've only found three people that shared the same or roughly the same answers, then talk about ratios of rarity and how "about one out of every fifty people I've asked, has answered with that?" Or are you saying the more common answers are only shared by three or so people each?
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Myrn

Post by Myrn » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:09 am

My response was initially a mirror or a reflection of yourself.
Last edited by Myrn on Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
He seemed the sort to even dream in suave.

Erik Black

Post by Erik Black » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:10 am

The facets of the mind always give me more to learn. I love that answer, one of the most detailed by far.

For your question, I should clarify that I ask specific groups of people at varying points of time. Among each group, very few across them, say, three diverse ethnic groups: white, black, Mexican, rarely shared similar answers to the last or next group. There have been three instances that has happened, I should say, rather than three people. The first I'd found over the course of one month, shared between a black woman, Latino male, and a teenaged Korean female. The answers they have were almost exactly the same, being, "The man is being seen through binoculars," alternate slang if necessary. The second was, "The man is behind a magnifying glass," across three children between the ages of ten and fourteen. Black, Latina, and Chinese. The third, I can't quite recall whom I asked, but their shared answer was, nearly exact, "The man is on a television." I believe I'd asked this instance among elders, though it isn't quite clear, I didn't think to have my pen and pad with me to take notes.

Annasiel
Admin

Post by Annasiel » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 am

Ah, that makes more sense.

And what do the present answers tell you, if I may ask? This sort of thing is fascinating to me.
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Erik Black

Post by Erik Black » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:35 am

Throughout the past of doing this, I've received very good answers for the majority of the time. However, from 3015 to present day, the answers are getting progressively worse, dumber even. Dare I say, some very offensive ones from feminist extremists. I marvel at the mind, every facet of it, despite my hopelessness in neurological sciences, but I've noted since, that an alarming number of intelligent minds are not as sharp. The roles have reversed, even. Women give the blunt, dumb answers, and many men have given me great answers, for the majority I've spoken to.

The ones I've received most recently here, especially yours and Umbra's, are much better, than the ones of the first two weeks of June. What intrigues me most, is that I find the best answers online, rather than in person, when it was quite the opposite ten years ago.