Homosexuality

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Snowskeeper

Re: Homosexuality

Post by Snowskeeper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:52 pm

If you're agnostic about the soul, you have to be agnostic about any sort of "original purpose," too. Evolution is random, not directed; reproduction as it currently exists came about because it's relatively efficient, not because it's somehow mandatory. The lines between humanity and the rest of the biosphere are largely arbitrary. You are serving nothing by choosing to reproduce.

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:49 pm

We ain't nothing but mammals.
Well some of us cannibals, who cut other people open like cantaloupes.
But if we can hump dead animals and antelopes.
Then there's no reason that a man and another man can't elope
"Swallowed hook, line, sinker and copy of angling times." - All of you

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Also, while we're at it, Kyle, how do you feel about the ancient Greeks?

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:48 pm

ButteryPancake wrote:We ain't nothing but mammals.
Well some of us cannibals, who cut other people open like cantaloupes.
But if we can hump dead animals and antelopes.
Then there's no reason that a man and another man can't elope

alright Marshall

Oh, I'm not like The Flash at all. Some would say I'm the Reverse
For the kingdom of God awaits me, for I am saved by the blood of christ

DeathKyle

Post by DeathKyle » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Snowskeeper wrote:Also, while we're at it, Kyle, how do you feel about the ancient Greeks?
What about them. I don't feel any way.

I have many miles to go before I sleep
I have many miles to go before I sleep

Vlada

Post by Vlada » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:10 pm

Again you guys are basically using excuses. Saying we as humans have done it in the past so it can't be bad? Ok so what if it was done in the past does that make it ok? Genocide is never ok in any time period why would something that is morally bad be any different? Sex isn't the only way to create stronger bonds. There is literally a thousand other ways. It is still indulging in lust. Sex is ONLY made for reproduction. That is the ONLY evolutionary function is for reproduction.
I don't even know how you managed to come to the conclusion that homosexuality is the reason we survived as a species. If you really believe that then I don't know what to say. It isn't even close to any of the factors for why we survived as a species.
I'm saying there's no historical evidence to suggest homosexuality is a reason that allowed humanity to survive. Please show evidence. That's a real stretch.
If we done something in the past, that doesn't mean it isn't useful. I agree.
Genocide was done in the past, and it resulted in deaths of millions. That isn't useful for society thus we shouldn't do it anymore.
Homosexuality promoted relationships between people of same gender thus created stronger bonds within a community. It was useful. I don't care if it was a just a tiny bit useful. It was. Language was obviously better at helping human society progress, duuuh, but as long as a trait helped a tiny little bit it was useful.
To be honest it just made sense to me that homosexual relations would be useful, because why wouldn't they. If two people (whether hetero or homosexual) wanted to have sex as a means of deepening an emotional connection between them, rather than seeking pleasure, don't you think it would be something good? It just makes sense. It is a fact that it helps people deepen their relationship. If it helps people today why wouldn't it help them in the past?
And, yeah, sex that has no emotional base and is merely used as a tool for pleasure is unappealing to me, but that isn't the type of sex I am talking about. (on my previous post I didn't make that clear, sorry about that. I was tired.)

OH, and yeah, sex was created as an activity with the purpose of reproduction. But, if it can be used for something else why wouldn't it?
That's it from me. I don't have evidence to give you. My idea of homosexuality being useful stems from modern research, but if I ever find something I will post it here.

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Komodo Dragons have homosexual relationships all the time, now that I think about it...
"Swallowed hook, line, sinker and copy of angling times." - All of you

shadowvoidboss
Gold

Post by shadowvoidboss » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:45 pm

I would really like to see the proof that way back when two men banged eachother and that's how they managed to keep the tribe alive.

I'm not a hater and want to prove you wrong I just really want to see it for science.
When life gives you lemons make orange juice... cause fuck the world. XD

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:46 pm

shadowvoidboss wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:45 pm
I would really like to see the proof that way back when two men banged eachother and that's how they managed to keep the tribe alive.

I'm not a hater and want to prove you wrong I just really want to see it for science.
What.

That doesn't even-
Two men in a homosexual relationship would have no detrimental effect upon the survivability of the tribe, especially once you remember that a homosexual man can still father children. We can see gay men in heterosexual relationships all throughout history, because societies have pushed them into it.

That said, there has been research done into the genetics of homosexuals and the benefits of the genes which are loosely affiliated with homosexuality in humans. From memory, those who were heterozygous for the gene tended to be more empathetic, which would be useful for having someone deal with, say, tribe disputes.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:52 pm

DeathKyle wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:23 pm
Snowskeeper wrote:Also, while we're at it, Kyle, how do you feel about the ancient Greeks?
What about them. I don't feel any way.
Many of the sub-cultures of the ancient Greeks, including the Athenians, believed that sexual love between men was purer than sexual love between men and women. The Athenians are widely regarded as the founders of so-called western culture.