Pacifism: for good? Or for bad?

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Archer_Algren
Bronze

Pacifism: for good? Or for bad?

Post by Archer_Algren » Fri May 05, 2017 6:43 am

"If [the number of pacifists] is large enough [to cripple the state as a belligerent], then you have handed over the state which does tolerate Pacifists to its totalitarian neighbour who does not. Pacifism of this kind is taking the straight road to a world in which there will be no Pacifists." -C.S. Lewis

So I need some opinions here, some pacifists have been bugging me about my stories, which usually ends in violence or force solving everybody's problems.

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Pacifism: for good? Or for bad?

Post by Annasiel » Fri May 05, 2017 7:21 am

Pacifism and belligerence go hand in hand. You need belligerence to stoke the fire, and pacifism to provide a way out. Take the U.S. Black Civil Rights movement, for example. Without the more violent proposals like that of Robert F. Williams, the more lenient, pacifistic terms would have never been met.

I do find it fitting that the man you quoted had a habit of shouting over people in debates and attacking them personally to try and force his views, though.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Fri May 05, 2017 11:49 am

Annasiel wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 7:21 am
Pacifism and belligerence go hand in hand. You need belligerence to stoke the fire, and pacifism to provide a way out. Take the U.S. Black Civil Rights movement, for example. Without the more violent proposals like that of Robert F. Williams, the more lenient, pacifistic terms would have never been met.

I do find it fitting that the man you quoted had a habit of shouting over people in debates and attacking them personally to try and force his views, though.
Didn't know that, but thanks for letting me know, now I have more reason to dislike C.S. Lewis.

I just find it pointless that some people push for peace even if it means their own destruction, I remembered how Ghandhi tried to send hitler letters to stop, and how the allies should have never fought world war 2, he also said that the jews allow the nazi's to exterminate them or they kill themselves, and Hitler once mentioned that the best way to deal with ghandhi is to shoot him, So I don't think pacifism works if your opponent doesn't share the same sentiments.

Austin

Post by Austin » Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Pacifism is something that has always escaped me. Peace is not so sweet that you should achieve it without bloodshed.
For the kingdom of God awaits me, for I am saved by the blood of christ

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri May 05, 2017 10:24 pm

Silly statement.

Diplomacy exists, and mindless posturing is often what causes wars between major world powers. Peace can easily be gained and maintained by not being a blubbering idiot who thinks with his military might first, and actually talking to opposing powers second.

Hell, blindly toppling existing governments is what caused these issues we have in the east.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Tue May 09, 2017 4:13 am

Pacifism's a good thing. Refusing to defend yourself or others with violence is more of a gray area, although I would argue that, especially in this era of cell-phone cameras, using violence to defend yourself is a lot more likely to end in you being demonized, especially if you're defending yourself against, say, a police officer who is abusing his or her power, or an idiot with a gun and a potential "stand your ground" defence, or another individual who might otherwise be able to claim that they were operating within their authority.

Trying to force your beliefs on others is almost always a bad thing, though, and I think that was what makes Gandhi's statements about the Jews objectionable, not the fact that those beliefs were pacifist.

Nathanswift2

Post by Nathanswift2 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Austin wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 pm
Pacifism is something that has always escaped me. Peace is not so sweet that you should achieve it without bloodshed.
Exactly. Laying your body before marching tanks may slow the machine of war, but belligerents are merely encouraged through their bloodlust. Some individuals are ill and require a heavy dose of lead for treatment.
I seek Truth above all means.

shadowvoidboss
Gold

Post by shadowvoidboss » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:29 pm

If there was no conflict the idea of peace wouldn't exist.

Peace and war go hand in hand but I've noticed that some people make riots throwing molotoves and throwing rocks at people saying there for peace yet they do it in a very unpeaceful way. OR they don't stand up for what's right because it would go against being a pacifist. I say pacifism is a good thing at right times
When life gives you lemons make orange juice... cause fuck the world. XD

The Alt-Rick

Post by The Alt-Rick » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:19 pm

I'm gonna sound like a straightup sith lord here, but peace is a lie. There is only passion and force.

Whether that's passive aggressiveness or overt is irrelevant. All human beings have a will to power and to enforce that power. Everyone thinks they know better, and if they can't get their way, they'll elect someone who can, or at least try too. I see no inherit difference between a system that oppresses people through shame, isolation, and struggle than through a bullet to the head in the back of a garage. Put it this way: When someone can say with a straight face "I think life imprisonment is a way better punishment than execution" but than pat themselves on the back for not killing someone, they've just admitted they're giving into their ID, and want to be cruel, want to be malevolant, but still claim the moral highground. It's really kinda pathetic.

I make no qualms. I think war is pretty fucking stupid. It's just a desperate dick measuring contest between powers to grab resources or maintain them. To instill stability and hyper patriotism in a disnefranchised society. All the same, I don't think it's necessarily more wrong than embargos. Or the death penalty. I think the death penalty is a gross over use of the power of the state, I'd be far less offended by a self defense clause, even a very flimsy one. But were it up to me, many "prisoners of war" would be summarily executed. It's just most "normie crimes" I don't see as worthy of invoking death as a response.

The thing about hawks and doves alike, is they don't see life and death for what it is. All I see is life is struggle, life is regret, it isn't worth living for half the time. But it sure as hell ain't worth dying for. Death is frightening. The complete abyss of nothingness and total ego death. No consciousness... I wouldn't say someone deserves to die lightly, though you wouldn't know that from the way I talk about reddit or twitter mods. Because my moral scale is just completely anti-meta to what people are used too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGXVbIL745w
Had to post it to lighten the mood lol. Also it is befitting as I've even had Satanic priests (Theistic Satanists, not that Lavey crap) be like "this guy gets it".

Wholey33

Post by Wholey33 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:43 pm

Pacifisms are good they make babies stop crying