So, Veganism Is Now A Religion...

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

So, Veganism Is Now A Religion...

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:47 pm

Yeah, you read that right. Veganism is now classed as a religion under UK law.

A judge here in the UK has essentially ruled veganism as a religion, and as such, the beliefs of vegans are now to be treated in the same way as the beliefs of Christians or Muslims.

Here is the link to the online BBC news article about it.

I'm not yet going to say my thoughts on this, because...

Well, I'd like to hear other people's thoughts on this. What do y'all think about this?
madness is a rational response to a crazy world

you need a little bit of insanity to do great things

Check out my writing thread, if you want ^-^

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: So, Veganism Is Now A Religion...

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:29 pm

According to your article veganism is being classed as a philosophical belief, so it’s more in the league of atheism or humanism than a religious belief such as Christianity or Hinduism. Further, by the looks of it, it’s simply being added to protected classes, so you cannot discriminate against someone in matters of employment, housing, or suchlike on the basis of them being a vegan.

So, it seems like something that’s perfectly fine.
//… under her weight the floorboards gave, and she fell into the dark...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Maxx[2.0]ine
Platinum

Post by Maxx[2.0]ine » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:31 pm

On the surface it does seem so, so I totally get where you're coming from.

However, now 'ethical' vegans can do anything they want in terms of their beliefs. While that doesn't seem like a bad thing, and in most cases it isn't (for example, refusing to use anything from an animal, etc.), it means that, for example, they'd be allowed to refuse to sell bacon if they worked in a supermarket. And no one would be allowed to do anything about it; complaining about it or firing them for it would just be seen as discrimination.

And there's also the fact that people seem to be able to just make their own 'religions' (I know, technically it isn't a religion, but it is being treated in the same way). I know that 'ethical' vegans do have their beliefs, and as long as it doesn't negatively impact others, good for them. But I could turn around and say that I'm an 'ethical' carnivore, and that I should be able to kill as many animals as I want and use all the animal products I can. But really... That's just silly, and I doubt many people would vote for that to be a 'religion'.

Really, in my opinion, it just gives 'ethical' vegans yet another reason to act all high-and-mighty about their lifestyle choices.

{Oh, and the reason I kept the quotation marks around 'ethical' is because, really, 'ethical' veganism is just as bad for the environment as carnivorism. An 'ethical' vegan would say no to shearing sheep for their wool, which puts the sheep at risk of many different problems. An 'ethical' vegan would only use plant products, which means that trees have to be cut down to make way for cropland, and deforestation is already a major problem. Plus, there's the whole issue of disrupting the entire food web as a result of an overpopulation of one type of animal. I could go on. 'Ethical' vegans may see themselves as better than us lowly omnivores/carnivores/whatever-vores, but they really aren't.}
madness is a rational response to a crazy world

you need a little bit of insanity to do great things

Check out my writing thread, if you want ^-^

Snowskeeper

Post by Snowskeeper » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:26 am

Maxx[2.0]ine wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:31 pm
On the surface it does seem so, so I totally get where you're coming from.

However, now 'ethical' vegans can do anything they want in terms of their beliefs. While that doesn't seem like a bad thing, and in most cases it isn't (for example, refusing to use anything from an animal, etc.), it means that, for example, they'd be allowed to refuse to sell bacon if they worked in a supermarket. And no one would be allowed to do anything about it; complaining about it or firing them for it would just be seen as discrimination.
Source?
And there's also the fact that people seem to be able to just make their own 'religions' (I know, technically it isn't a religion, but it is being treated in the same way). I know that 'ethical' vegans do have their beliefs, and as long as it doesn't negatively impact others, good for them. But I could turn around and say that I'm an 'ethical' carnivore, and that I should be able to kill as many animals as I want and use all the animal products I can. But really... That's just silly, and I doubt many people would vote for that to be a 'religion'.
No, because you'd be breaking the law.
One raven said to another raven, expecting a feast, "I know something."
Thought and Memory, my ravens, fly every day the whole world over.
Each day I fear that Thought might not return, but I fear more for Memory.

Reyn
Community Mod

Post by Reyn » Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:48 pm

Calling it a 'religion' seems a bit clickbaity. The article linked seems to just point to somewhat sensible results, such as companies no longer being able to refuse to hire someone because they're a vegan.

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2020/ja ... ted-belief

This source from the Guardian could be helpful to finding out what it means, as well as other beliefs that fall under this category- or, in the case of gender critical feminism (thanks Guardian, you had to slip that one in there), beliefs that don't.

Also, slight nitpick about punctuation here, but putting quotation marks around 'ethical' in ethical veganism isn't really accurate to the definition of ethical veganism. The 'ethical' part just means that the reasons for an ethical vegan to stick to veganism are ethical in nature, rather than based on health reasons or otherwise. It's not saying that ethical veganism is ethically right, just that it's a matter of ethics rather than anything else. Philosophy terms! Fun!

In terms of my opinion, I'm not all that bothered, but it is interesting reading about the protection of philosophical beliefs.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... nge-belief

Sustainability and wanting to stop climate change is also a philosophical belief that's protected by the same act! What are your thoughts on that?

Lord of Nothing

Post by Lord of Nothing » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:39 pm

As an Avid Meat-Eater
Maxx[2.0]ine wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:31 pm
Not really. You'd simply be fired for refusing to do you job. Much in the same someone who is of Muslim Faith cannot refuse to sell pork. It's refusing to your job, plain and simple. When you are dismissed, that's all they would really have to say. Being a vegan wouldn't have anything to do with it.
You can believe what you want but it won't give you the authority to do whatever you want "because I believe this."

---

I'm not a Vegan. I don't even remotely agree with being one. I think that personally it's kind of weird and holds us humans to an oddly high moral standard. Overall though that's a whole nother can of worms and not what I'm in this thread for.

At the same time, people can believe in what they want. Even though I disagree with the ideals of a vegan, I don't think it's a bad thing for them to have rights or to not be discriminated against.
Sandbox

Lethe, The Once Reaper
Voracious, The Vampire Vagabond
Vas, The Shadow Man
Amaranth, The Ultimate Life-Form
Jackal, The Devil's Dog

Concepts

Varcolac, The Cursed Cartel
Nosferatu, The Damned Descendants of the Darkblood

List of all characters across every sub-forum: Here!