Earth is Flat

Keep things civil, people, or else we'll put you in time-out.
DeathKyle

Re: Earth is Flat

Post by DeathKyle » Wed May 23, 2018 7:32 pm

UmbraSight wrote:The length of Earth’s umbra is 1.4 million km long, which is 3.7x longer than the mean distance from Earth to the moon. The size of the umbra which the moon passes through is 9000 km, or 2.6x the diamater of the moon.

The moon’s umbral tail is about 400,000 km long.

You have something gravely wrong with your math, and I really don’t have time to figure out what all it is. I’m fairly certain it’s surface area, and how much wider the Earth is compared to the moon that you are not taking into account.
So what are those numbers based off, what's the source for those calculations. How were these figured out the length of the Umbra?

From what I see it's made up bullshit.

My math I used is proportional math I used the correct diameter of the moon and earth to figure what earths true shadow width should be on the surface of the moon. There is nothing wrong with it if there is please point it out. But as far as I'm concerned this is yet another inconsistency in the globe model.

I have many miles to go before I sleep

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed May 23, 2018 7:54 pm

Yeah it’s the size of the Earth, which is 3.7x larger than the Moon.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Post by ButteryPancake » Thu May 24, 2018 1:00 am

Why are we still letting this thing live? Bad jokes need to die someday...
Should you be lucky enough to balance the correct number of murdered babies with adequate hours of volunteer service at children's cancer hospitals, you'll end up Neutral.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 am

DeathKyle wrote:
Wed May 23, 2018 7:32 pm

My math I used is proportional math I used the correct diameter of the moon and earth to figure what earths true shadow width should be on the surface of the moon. There is nothing wrong with it if there is please point it out. But as far as I'm concerned this is yet another inconsistency in the globe model.

See you say you used proportional math but you didn’t take into account that the two objects you are measuring are, uh, spheres.
So you just calculated them like they were a straight line, and you missed out on the fact they are, you know, round and have a surface area. Which if we all remember our math correctly, we have to treat circles different than we do lines in our calculations.

You didn’t use the right formula, Kyle.

Here’s a dude on YouTube doing stuffs with math, that seems ever so slightly more complex than what you just did.

Its about solar eclipses
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Fri May 25, 2018 9:17 am

How do you explain the guy that flew around the world in an aeroplane twice, anyway?
My mum only lets me drink coffee if it's decaffeinated.

AeronGrey
Bronze

Post by AeronGrey » Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 am

24952e80592d671bf38334f0edfc05c2.jpg
24952e80592d671bf38334f0edfc05c2.jpg (25.1 KiB) Viewed 71 times

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat May 26, 2018 3:23 am

The thing I love about the flat Earth model there
Look at what it does to Africa and Australia and how it disfigures them

Think about how it stretches the distance between those two. That flight would be so much longer.

Other than that, your argument has pursuaded me.

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:08 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned or not as the fact that people believe that the Earth is flat gets really irritating when the 'facts' they use are very much flawed. I can't read through all of that. Please explain to me how observable bodies, excluding asteroids, have some sort of spherical shape. If the Earth was flat, why would everything else be different? And please do not even try to make the argument that they are all just circles that are revolving around the Earth. That couldn't be possible as all the stars that are visible do not produce light in any irregular forms such as an oval if the star was at an angle to the earth.

Earlier you were making an argument that gravity does not exist. Explain to me why a majority of asteroids have irregular shapes up until they reach a certain size. There are no differences in density in space as there is a lack of matter to influence this. What force could possibly result in this?
I received a Varsity Letter in roleplaying