D&Dummies

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Annasiel
Administrator

Re: D&Dummies

Post by Annasiel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm

AeronGrey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:11 pm
That is so bullshit and against the rules in so many ways.
Isn't it grand? And, technically only against two rules.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:21 pm

xD
“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words are merely the smallest element of language capable of containing meaning in isolation, and as such could never directly produce the 4000 Newtons of force per square centimeter required to break bones.” - Michael Stevens

AeronGrey
Bronze

Post by AeronGrey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm

Annasiel wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm
AeronGrey wrote:
1. That you can't duel wield quarterstaves without a feat.
2. You can only cast Shillelagh on one weapon at a time.

Is that right?

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:51 pm

You can't dual wield quarterstaves within the rules at all in 5e (you can dual wield two light weapons without a feat), but bingo on the other.

I take disadvantage on every attack throw (roll twice and take the lower), so I'm gonna be crit-failing a lot.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Deus Mortis

Post by Deus Mortis » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm

One of the funniest moments I've had in DnD had to be during an SCP story I was in with Quirbles, Drifter, and Bigfoun.

After being killed during nearly escaping from the facility, Quribles let me spawn in as a member of the Chaos Insurgency, the group that was causing the containment breach within the facility. I wasn't expecting to survive for as long as I did with this character, even going as far as just naming him something generic (John Doe) but man do I feel bad that he didn't die right off the bat.

Doe's story starts off entering the facility in order to capture some SCP Foundation assets, free prisoners, etc when I come across the armory where my first character died. A small firefight ensues with the guard who survived that ended but not before Drifter's character comes walking down the hall with his own squad, with neither of us knowing about each other I believe.

I messed up one of my shots and hit the flamethrower tank on one of my squad-mates' back and it ended up spewing flames everywhere. It ended up getting tossed into the hallway. Right in front of the point-man leading Drifter's squad.

The tank blew up, killing some of his team and wounding most that remained. "Got to love the smell of Napalm in the morning".

The game came to a close shortly after with John Doe riding a bicycle out of the facility, successfully bull-shitting his way into joining a convoy being transported away from the facility to evacuate, and then proceeding to use the turrets on the truck he was in to destroy the truck full of scientists behind him before dropping a grenade in his own truck and bailing out.

TLDR: Got killed only to come back and give my friend's character major PTSD from accidentally committing a war crime.

D R I F T E R wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 pm
"Calhamce."

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:29 pm

AeronGrey wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:40 pm
Annasiel wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:01 pm
AeronGrey wrote:
1. That you can't duel wield quarterstaves without a feat.
2. You can only cast Shillelagh on one weapon at a time.

Is that right?
Technically, the DM decides whether or not to employ certain rules and can even determine how to interpret them. Basically, the rules exist to keep gameplay fair and fun, but are used mainly as a guideline. They can change from game to game.
Image I am Shinigami, the local god of death.

vvv Important site links vvv
Da Rules | Da FAQs | Da Staff

Shameless art plug: Visit my DeviantArt!

AeronGrey
Bronze

Post by AeronGrey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:59 pm

Yes, I am well aware of house rules and RAI vs RAW and stuff and yes, it is always up to that DM. I just wanted to make sure those where the rules in question because I am still learning 5e, or in other words, unlearning 3.5.

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:09 am

Ah. Alrighty then. :3

If it'd help, I plan to DM a game of my own once I get some more experience playing it. I'd gladly bring you in.
Image I am Shinigami, the local god of death.

vvv Important site links vvv
Da Rules | Da FAQs | Da Staff

Shameless art plug: Visit my DeviantArt!

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 am

So past Sunday me and my sister went back to the place we played D&D last time and well...

So my character Zephyr, the druid air Gensai who is basically the avatar from last air bender and his trusty friend Zila, the human/dragonkin sorcerer with friendly fire issues join a party going out on a witch hunt. Only this time it's not a metaphor for communism.

Our party is made up of us, a rookie barbarian chick, rookie wizard dude, an adept rogue and pro bard show up to the castle with the merc who hired us. He said he was cursed and couldn't go in because he might be possessed or some excuse so instead he stayed outside and made a purity circle for us to rest at. So our party sneakily knock down the front gate and creep in. The castle had a small village inside it's walls made up of three houses and a church. We checked the first house, nothing but a creepy hole in the corner that smells bad, we avoid it. The second house is a small one room hut but is well maintained. We open it up and find it decorated with girly things, like a child playroom, we avoid it as well. The church had nothing in it so we avoid it.

Then we came to the biggest house at the end of the wall and see something scamper behind it, after our rogue investigates he saw it crawl into the back of the house through a hole. We can't avoid this sadly. We peek in through the window and see an old lady facing away from us reading a book. We really wanted to avoid this. Then we peek into another window and see a young girl, when we were given the quest the merc mentioned how three children were recently kidnapped in the local area and assumed this was one of them.

So no shit there we were, my sister who had the highest charisma decided to take the lead and see if we can't bargain with the witch. We all stack up on the door like a swat team and she knocks. The door opened before her knuckles could make contact. "Come on in dearies, I've been expecting you". Dear Lord we should have avoided this. My sister began to walk in. "Expecting u-..." the door slammed shut before she could finish cutting her off from us. Luckily our barbarian stepped up and swung her sword at the door smashing it into peices and was even able to avoid being hit by the ward that was casted on it. Our rogue notched an arrow and fired into the door and struck the witch in the head, at least it would have if she didn't teleport away.

It continued like this where whenever we'd hit her she'd just disappear. Until our mage casted a freezing spell imobilizing her. I promptly swung my qauter staff and broke her arm forcing her to yield. My sister decided it was a good time to evac the child and took off with it over her shoulder, me and the barbarian chick joined her.

While the others stayed behind interrogating her they gathered some other information. It turns out the hole was saw earlier had two dead children in it. The hags had eaten the third. For those of you who don't know, whenever a hag eats a child they become pregnant, that's how they reproduce. This meant that while three of the kids were accounted for the one we had picked up wasn't a human child but a hag child, which look like completely normal children till puberty hits and they become an old woman. As we entered the purity circle the child screamed. My sister looked at it and realized it had begun melting and boiling. Then the fucker exploded like a meat balloon.

"What have you done!?" A new hag said appearing behind us. I was in the back of our group when she unleashed a wave of freezing magic that one hit Zephyr knocking him unconscience. Luckily the second party killed the first hag and ran over to support us as the barbarian carried me back into the purity circle where I was healed enough to wake up.

The hag put up more of a fight then the last and would teleport directly behind whoever attacked her. My sister's fire magic seemed to do extra damage against her, after a clean hit the witch teleported behind her, the barbarian attacked the witch from behind but after her sword phased through the witch then jumped behind her. Zephyr was pissed off, he was now up to a whopping 5 hp and was feeling luckily. He threw a thorn whip at the hag before she could strike the barbarian and yelled "Get over here" trying to lasso her into the purity circle. My sister launched another fire bolt at the now bound hag and the barbarian chick landed a solid hit. But Zeph would get the kill for this one, he jumped into the fight and landed a hit and enough damage "how does Zeph kill her?" The Dm asked. "So glad you asked." I responded. Zeph swiped low sweeping her legs out from under her launching her into the air. Zeph is an Air genasi with a wind that constantly blows against him giving him a permanent Fabio effect. However this time the wind kicked up and threw the airborne hag back into the purity circle where she promptly exploded. "Hmph, knocked the wind out of her..." Zeph said not even looking back at the gore.

And that was (So far) the most badass thing Zephyr has done, tune in next week when he invents sunglasses.
I'm a 'the glass is half filled with poison' kind of guy.

D R I F T E R

Post by D R I F T E R » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:14 pm

Deus Mortis wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:09 pm
One of the funniest moments I've had in DnD had to be during an SCP story I was in with Quirbles, Drifter, and Bigfoun.

After being killed during nearly escaping from the facility, Quribles let me spawn in as a member of the Chaos Insurgency, the group that was causing the containment breach within the facility. I wasn't expecting to survive for as long as I did with this character, even going as far as just naming him something generic (John Doe) but man do I feel bad that he didn't die right off the bat.

Doe's story starts off entering the facility in order to capture some SCP Foundation assets, free prisoners, etc when I come across the armory where my first character died. A small firefight ensues with the guard who survived that ended but not before Drifter's character comes walking down the hall with his own squad, with neither of us knowing about each other I believe.

I messed up one of my shots and hit the flamethrower tank on one of my squad-mates' back and it ended up spewing flames everywhere. It ended up getting tossed into the hallway. Right in front of the point-man leading Drifter's squad.

The tank blew up, killing some of his team and wounding most that remained. "Got to love the smell of Napalm in the morning".

The game came to a close shortly after with John Doe riding a bicycle out of the facility, successfully bull-shitting his way into joining a convoy being transported away from the facility to evacuate, and then proceeding to use the turrets on the truck he was in to destroy the truck full of scientists behind him before dropping a grenade in his own truck and bailing out.

TLDR: Got killed only to come back and give my friend's character major PTSD from accidentally committing a war crime.

D R I F T E R wrote:
Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:48 pm
Those men had families.
One has to live with severe burns for the rest of his life.
The other one didn't even get an open casket funeral because the shrapnel took out his face.

I will never forgive you.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read