Venting Thread - Now with 9000 BTU/hr

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Shinigami
Community Mod

Re: Venting Thread - Now with 9000 BTU/hr

Post by Shinigami » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Weird... I've never experienced this issue.
I am Shinigami, the local God of Death.
Da Rules

ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Post by ButteryPancake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:15 am

ShaFlow wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:23 pm
The post monster returns...
Should you be lucky enough to balance the correct number of murdered babies with adequate hours of volunteer service at children's cancer hospitals, you'll end up Neutral.

Gecko14
Bronze

Post by Gecko14 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 am

Ugh, I don't like doing this, but this is pissing me off. Sorry in advance, I don't normally vent. I've got a lot of weight on my shoulders.

Two of my friends and I play on Xbox. One of my friends, we'll call him Brad, is great friends with a group of boys he met on there (he doesn't know them IRL). The boys are all from the next state over. So me and my friend, let's call her Anna, have come to know these guys. They're great kids, I love hanging out with them when I can.

They started talking today about all of us doing a little meet-and-greet thing. We'd be going to a city for a day that's two hours away for my friends and the Xbox boys. I said that it's not a logical idea since none of us are above eighteen nor out of high school, and the boys have to travel out of state. I'm the oldest, and I'm a seventeen year old senior. One of the Xbox boys, Larry, agrees with me.

EVERYONE ELSE IS AGAINST US.

They say we're being overprotective and shit. Anna even said, and I quote: "You're acting like you're twelve years old, stuck in middle school, talking to some guy you met on Roblox a few hours ago and travelling to Europe with no technology or police force in the facility."

I don't know. I think it's dumb. I know the boys pretty well, I'd love to meet them, but it feels off. Am I being stupid, or is this completely reasonable?
To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene iii, Line 87..."no."

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Post by Myrn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:39 am

Completely reasonable, if it were my kids I wouldn't let them go on their own, if anything I'd chaperone personally also you're crossing state borders to meet? That's like a double nope
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Post by ButteryPancake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:40 am

Gecko14 wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 am
¡Is this completely reasonable?
Yes and no. I'd agree that you could be acting overprotective and should cut them some slack, but you are doing the right thing in doubting whenever possible. After all, you said it yourself, it's a foreign environment with strangers, and you're staying for a relatively long period of time. Not just that, none of you are of legal age, so taking these kind of decisions should actually be up to each of your parents. I understand where they're coming from, but you're all just kids. The dangers of the situation itself are abundant, and maybe aren't the ones you're thinking of. A bunch of kids from another state visiting strangers they met online and staying over? Could sound like a stretch for some.

Maybe the danger isn't in the other guys, maybe the danger is in a third party or somebody you could meet on the way. I'd say think it straight and with a calm mind first; if it looks too shady, it's not worth going. If they still decide to go, you can either go with them or let them go by themselves(Or, tell their parents something good enough so they spit out that big ol' NO.) and have them experience their trip. Better safe than sorry, there's always another chance to meet, perhaps under less risky circumstances. Nonetheless and to wrap things up, your fears and/or worries are well-founded, they are just kids who are, effectively, acting like kids. We all think we know everything in that age, and that we are capable of defending against people twice our size and twice our experience.
Should you be lucky enough to balance the correct number of murdered babies with adequate hours of volunteer service at children's cancer hospitals, you'll end up Neutral.

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Post by Myrn » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:42 am

Well said
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Gecko14
Bronze

Post by Gecko14 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:49 am

I appreciate the advice guys, thanks. Now that I'm more levelheaded than before, I can see that I was kinda going overboard. I get like that sometimes, lol. :P I'm not gonna stop them from going, that's between them. But they're trying to guilt me, I think. "You're saying no to going with Brad and I two hours away?" Man, I just felt terrible. I dunno. :P

I hate fighting with friends. Last time I stood up to this one friend, she tried to turn everyone against me. Nasty stuff, heh.
To quote Hamlet Act III, Scene iii, Line 87..."no."

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:56 am

I would never go meet someone that isn't in a public place with people around. And even as an adult, I'd never go without my parents or other people knowing where I was going. When I met my boyfriend in real life, Hunuki, he was living in Texas. Everyone knew what I was doing, where I was going. The ONLY reason I went alone was because I had LITERALLY known Hunuki since I was ten or 11 online. We grew up together online, and known each other for DECADES before we met. If it was to meet anyone else, I'd go with someone who could beat people's heads in, everyone would know where I was going, who exactly I was meeting with. Hell, everyone wanted to know the addresses, phone number, and everything for Hunuki and his mom in case something did happen to me.

You can NEVER be too cautious. Not in this day and age where people are being killed and going missing all the time. If the people you're meeting, aren't willing to come meet you in a public place where people will see what's going on... then something's up.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Post by ButteryPancake » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:03 am

If one of your friends tries to turn others against you just so they can be right, they are not your friend and should be kicked out of your life until they learn how to keep their toxicity in check.

Maybe I'm being too harsh, maybe it's the lack of sleep. But honestly, those kind of people shouldn't be considered real friends.

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:08 am

If they do something like that, they aren't your friend at all. Not really.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡