Tricks Of The RP Trade

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Tricks Of The RP Trade

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:16 pm

If two of my characters are interacting, I just use one perspective.
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:04 am

I prefer third person omniscient between however many characters I have. I don't like switching back and forth or delineating between either. If the characters are not interacting with the same situation, I prefer to separate by paragraph and specifically mention who the paragraph is about somewhere in the first sentence. I feel like subtitles shouldn't be what determines who the next part is about. It only seems necessary for chapters of a book, especially if it is in first person.
I received a Varsity Letter in roleplaying

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:07 am

I prefer third person limited, and switching limited perspectives without using titles can be jarring. Anyone who's read Brave New World can attest to that. That being said, I usually refrain from doing frequent perspective switches in the same post; I prefer to keep each post to a separate character. Using titles just makes it easier to keep track of, and lets people know at a glance whose perspective the post is following. It isn't necessary, but it's a nice gesture (in my opinion) for the other roleplayers involved.

It also lets me change my writing tone based on which character I'm following at the moment, and blend internal monologue into the narrative without things getting mucky.
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.

Vladmirk

Post by Vladmirk » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 am

I should rephrase third person omniscient. I think it is described best as an indirect internal monologue, meaning that the writer is describing the thoughts of the character instead of the narrator knowing the exact thoughts of the character. After doing some reading to figure stuff out for words I didn't really know, I found a very interesting view on limited versus omniscient. The difference between the two are rather insignificant. Its essentially only the difference between the amount of characters the writer is able to see into the mind of when there is the huge problem of whether the writer is fully inside of the thoughts of a character(s) or if they are narrating the actions of a character, but don't have direct access to the thoughts of the character.
I received a Varsity Letter in roleplaying

Jhibus

Post by Jhibus » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:43 pm

Dramatic irony VS mystery?
My mum only lets me drink coffee if it's decaffeinated.

Wholey33

Post by Wholey33 » Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:32 pm

im really good at rp so listen
sometimes you have to be a person that isnt like you so it helps by imagining your that person
i know a lot of rp people dont like pretending but you got to sometimes its the only way

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:52 pm

She’s not wrong.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:01 pm

Music.

MUSIC.
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher

Wholey33

Post by Wholey33 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:42 am

also sometimes you have to be people you dont like and do bad things like hurt your family
my daddy was really good at roleplay

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:16 am

I haven't read through all the suggestions so I'm not sure if these were touched on. These are some things I've noticed throughout the years and would like to talk about.

Stick Toghther
While your characters may start in diffrent places make sure you put your character in a position where they can realistically meet up with the other characters. About 80% of rping is interacting with other characters so getting them together is an important step in any rp.

Another thing is sticking with said characters. Now in some instances splitting up does make sense but if you do just keep in mind it can mess with pacing and make the thread messy.

Wait Your Turn
The start of a new rp can be exciting and you may want to post as much as possible. However some people may not have the same amount of free time or may be a slower typer. I recommend you write only one post until everyone else has posted and get into a sort of rhythm so everyone can have a fair shot at posting.

Try to avoid double posting, basically don't post something about your character doing one thing only to write another post about your character moving on and doing another without giving people a chance to interact with your character. It's annoying and results in a lame goose chase.

Say Yes
Rping is very similar to improv acting, and their #1 rule is to always say yes to a question or situation. Saying no closes off scenarios which can leave you with very little creative freedom. Saying yes however opens up new paths and doors to explore.
I'm a 'the glass is half filled with poison' kind of guy.