Tricks Of The RP Trade

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
ButteryPancake
Meaningless Title

Re: Tricks Of The RP Trade

Post by ButteryPancake » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:19 am

Or git gud with the encompassing of lines in such a way that you not only meet the other's standards, but also surpass them and yourself in every post; leading to an unending streak of everlasting lenghtening in post content which will soon become a testament which nobody, not even the ones implied, will want to read.
Should you be lucky enough to balance the correct number of murdered babies with adequate hours of volunteer service at children's cancer hospitals, you'll end up Neutral.

InquisitorRothus
Bronze

Post by InquisitorRothus » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Want to git gud? Be me.
You will learn about our loving and forgiving God or you will DIE!

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:09 pm

No, no, the advice should be things people actually WANT to try.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Actual Trash

Post by Actual Trash » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 pm

If I may direct your attention, just above you will see an example of how to lay down what we call a “burn”. Useful when you’re looking to create sassy/saucy character types.
The Rubbish has arrived!✨| Art Thread

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:26 pm

Actual Trash wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:19 pm
If I may direct your attention, just above you will see an example of how to lay down what we call a “burn”. Useful when you’re looking to create sassy/saucy character types.
I might be guilty of using such characters more often than I should.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 am

Character arcs are amazing things, it's fun setting up at character at the start of the story and letting them slowly sift and change as things progress.

A lot of time people tend to change their character far too quickly, making them feel schizophrenic, or have them be stagnant. Just keep in mind what goes on in the story and how your character might grow from the various mistakes they make.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:40 am

UmbraSight wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 am
Character arcs are amazing things, it's fun setting up at character at the start of the story and letting them slowly sift and change as things progress.

A lot of time people tend to change their character far too quickly, making them feel schizophrenic, or have them be stagnant. Just keep in mind what goes on in the story and how your character might grow from the various mistakes they make.
no u
"Everyone's an Atheist until turbulence starts shaking the plane".

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:07 am

ShaFlow wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:40 am
UmbraSight wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:37 am

no u
Aww~
“The tongue is the most remarkable. For we use it both to taste out sweet wine and bitter poison, thus also do we utter words both sweet and sour with the same tongue.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book

Austin

Post by Austin » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:29 am

Helpful tips? always fade to black.

Oh, I'm not like The Flash at all. Some would say I'm the Reverse
For the kingdom of God awaits me, for I am saved by the blood of christ

Zaediir

Post by Zaediir » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 am

I don't know if this has been said because I just woke up and my eyes are so glazed over making sense of anything I read is out of the question, but make sure when you want your character to do something to another character you describe them doing it, but don't describe what happens. Say you throw a punch at a character. Your post should read "xXR0bbieRotten4lyf extends his arm, turning it and throwing his hand toward BeSureToExercise's overgrown nosebone" instead of "x threw a punch at y, shattering his nose." You don't know what the effect of your actions will be on another character, so let the rper of that character have a post to retaliate.

However if your character is a jock who's been studying the ancient art of Shaq-fu for 97 years punching at a nerd, then whoever's playing the nerd remember that a roleplay is not an anime (barring the anime roleplayers of course,) and your nerd will not suddenly gain fabulous new powers when they are needed.
My name is Utrhed, son of Utrhed, and my sons name is also Utrhed, which makes dinners such as thanksgiving very confusing