Tricks Of The RP Trade

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Tricks Of The RP Trade

Post by Annasiel » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:41 am

Zaediir wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 am
I don't know if this has been said because I just woke up and my eyes are so glazed over making sense of anything I read is out of the question, but make sure when you want your character to do something to another character you describe them doing it, but don't describe what happens. Say you throw a punch at a character. Your post should read "xXR0bbieRotten4lyf extends his arm, turning it and throwing his hand toward BeSureToExercise's overgrown nosebone" instead of "x threw a punch at y, shattering his nose." You don't know what the effect of your actions will be on another character, so let the rper of that character have a post to retaliate.

However if your character is a jock who's been studying the ancient art of Shaq-fu for 97 years punching at a nerd, then whoever's playing the nerd remember that a roleplay is not an anime (barring the anime roleplayers of course,) and your nerd will not suddenly gain fabulous new powers when they are needed.
I love you.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Zaediir

Post by Zaediir » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:35 am

Annasiel wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:41 am
Zaediir wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:09 am
I don't know if this has been said because I just woke up and my eyes are so glazed over making sense of anything I read is out of the question, but make sure when you want your character to do something to another character you describe them doing it, but don't describe what happens. Say you throw a punch at a character. Your post should read "xXR0bbieRotten4lyf extends his arm, turning it and throwing his hand toward BeSureToExercise's overgrown nosebone" instead of "x threw a punch at y, shattering his nose." You don't know what the effect of your actions will be on another character, so let the rper of that character have a post to retaliate.

However if your character is a jock who's been studying the ancient art of Shaq-fu for 97 years punching at a nerd, then whoever's playing the nerd remember that a roleplay is not an anime (barring the anime roleplayers of course,) and your nerd will not suddenly gain fabulous new powers when they are needed.
I love you.
;)
My name is Utrhed, son of Utrhed, and my sons name is also Utrhed, which makes dinners such as thanksgiving very confusing

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm

I'm gonna say this again because I can't stress it enough, don't let an RP die waiting for someone to post. It won't hurt to message them, asking if everything is okay and if they're still invested. If they say they aren't, just write them out!

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:32 pm

Annasiel wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:04 pm
I'm gonna say this again because I can't stress it enough, don't let an RP die waiting for someone to post. It won't hurt to message them, asking if everything is okay and if they're still invested. If they say they aren't, just write them out!
I really need to do this.....

YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

illirica
Sandbox Mod

Post by illirica » Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm

Another thing on that vein is I've always found that there are a lot of RPs that can accommodate another person joining midstream, or dropping out and rejoining later. I think it's fine to say "Love to have you when you're ready, just drop us a message and we'll find a way for you to debut." It's really okay for the plucky student / fascinating love interest character to show up in chapter three, or the mysterious sage to drop in and out through the novel, and that lets people who are ready to move along do so while the last holdout finishes final exams or returns from their trip to Antartica or whatever is keeping them busy.

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:27 am

illirica wrote:
Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:41 pm
Another thing on that vein is I've always found that there are a lot of RPs that can accommodate another person joining midstream, or dropping out and rejoining later. I think it's fine to say "Love to have you when you're ready, just drop us a message and we'll find a way for you to debut." It's really okay for the plucky student / fascinating love interest character to show up in chapter three, or the mysterious sage to drop in and out through the novel, and that lets people who are ready to move along do so while the last holdout finishes final exams or returns from their trip to Antartica or whatever is keeping them busy.
This needs to be preached. Some people are afraid to hold out on an RP while they do life because they think they'll just lose the oportunity to be in it later and instead it leads to the RP dying. Please somebody put this in places, we need posters with this over the place.
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."

TriggerHappy
Bronze

Post by TriggerHappy » Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:51 am

What we used to do way back when was, when someone had to do stuff, we'd just drag them along in the plot. Set the character on autopilot, and just have the other members of the rp take them along for the ride and keep you informed on what's going on with them.
404 signature not found

Actual Trash

Post by Actual Trash » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 pm

Craft characters whose absence would be felt.
The Rubbish has arrived!✨| Art Thread

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:40 pm

Actual Trash wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:17 pm
Craft characters whose absence would be felt.
Amen to that.

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:04 am

You mean a suicide bomber
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."