Tricks Of The RP Trade

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Actual Trash

Tricks Of The RP Trade

Post by Actual Trash » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:22 pm

Just a place to dump some helpful tips for the newbies! some things you wish people had helped you with when you first started, some helpful little 'tricks' you may have learned along the way, or maybe even just share some encouraging words :3

To start off, here are a few things I wanted to share!

•RPing Third Person vs Writing Third Person•

Yes. You may not think there is a difference, but there is to a degree. Mind you, I'm not an authority on these topics, it's just something I've noticed in my time role playing. The difference between writing third person, and role playing third person. This mainly has to do with your lack of control over the other characters in the story. LeT mE ExpLaiN

When you only have control of your own character, there are certain limitations that are automatically put on how you write interactions. You cannot force anyone else's character to do anything. For example, say your character is feeling ill. You can't write "[Your character] was feeling ill, and [their character] noticed." because that would be forcing them to manually backtrack and rewrite their character's reaction if it is different from what you may have assumed. Or they just let it go, but it still isn't good form.
So when role playing third person, you focus more on your own character, and what they have control over. Instead of describing how their character might react, describe evidence that their character could notice, should their writer choose. Ex: "[Your character] wasn't feeling well. It showed in the tenseness around their mouth and the sheen of sweat on their brow."
You can't force them to notice, but you can give them indicators, should you wish :3

While we're on the topic....

•Describing Your Character•

We all know we love to do it. Adjectives are many role players' best friends. Gods know we'd love to go into paragraphs describing our character's every feature, after all, we want everyone else to have just as vivid an image as we do! We love describing, and that's fine! Sadly, not everyone wants to read that paragraphs long description, and it can get tiresome at times. So here's a few things I've found useful to break up it up into more a more digestible format.
#1) Don't use blocks of exposition. Instead of something like "[Your character] has/had curly hair, green eyes and angular features-" then proceed to describe everything from their hair texture to their toenail length, try slipping it into the odd sentence, real subtle like ;3
Something more like "[Your character] tucked a piece of curly hair behind their ear, eyeing the barekeep with quizzical green eyes, their angular features scrunching into a deep frown."
Given, even that much is too much perhaps for one sentence, but you get the gist ye? ^v^
#2) Don't repeat too often. We all love to know how brown someones hair is, but if we hear about it every other post, then it becomes redundant. Overall, just remember that if you've provided a description or even a picture of your character, the other rpers will probably remember what they look like. You don't have to remind them how white your character's teeth are every time they smile, even if they are the pearliest.

Obviously, these aren't set-in-stone rules, just suggestions to take with you if you want~

That's all from me for now. If YOU have anything you think might be helpful, whether it be on how to write a certain character type, or even just on how to format an intro, ect. don't be afraid to leave it down bellow 0v0
The Rubbish has arrived!✨| Art Thread

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Tricks Of The RP Trade

Post by Annasiel » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:28 pm

Don't think of weaknesses/flaws as a list of negative features you need to check off, but instead as a natural extension of the character's personality. Often, flaws and virtues are two sides of the same coin. A character that is determined, for example, could also be stubborn to a fault. A character that is intelligent may be a know it all, or may be insecure about how much they really know.

On the flip side, try to see how their flaws could be seen in a positive light. If your character is lazy, they could be laid back and adaptable. If your character is asocial, they might be observant or introspective.

Avoid falling into the trap of using "soft" flaws. Traits like "shy" or "cares too much about friends" are often used as copouts for exploring the full impact of these faults; try to drive things like that to extremes, or focus on other, less likable downfalls.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 pm

Extending on the traits of a character, don't be afraid of developing it more than what you have written out if the RP survives for long enough to impact others. This might be obvious, but I've seen it happen more often that you think, people don't develop their characters or never get out of what they have written for their personality.

If your character is a shut-in, perhaps a bit asocial, they can always grow out of that shell with the correct interaction because that's how humans are. We change with experiences, and so do our characters. Same with traumatic experiences, not everything makes us stronger. I know Annasiel mentioned this but it's very important and many people consider it a bad thing; a flawed character does not equate to a bad character, a flawed character is more realistic. Nobody is perfect, and even though I know how much we all want to be the star of the show for whichever reason, it isn't that way every time.

Which takes me to my next tip; RPing isn't about protagonism, it's a group experience. If you want your character to be always the lead and be recognized for it, you're bound to have problems in the future. Don't be afraid or ashamed to be taken away the spotlight for x amount of posts(Or pages, even), remember that everyone deserves their 5 minutes of fame, so to speak.
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:53 pm

Don't see the RP as a game, but as a collaborative story. Everyone has their own input to the story, and everyone should be included.

If you notice someone is having trouble getting into it, or if they have no one to interact with, try giving them something to work with.
The above image is a referral link to Nodiatis, an online RPG that I play.

vvv Important site links vvv
Da Rules | Da FAQs | Da Staff

Shameless art plug: Visit my DeviantArt!

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 am

ButteryPancake wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 pm
A flawed character does not equate to a bad character, a flawed character is more realistic. Nobody is perfect, and even though I know how much we all want to be the star of the show for whichever reason, it isn't that way every time.
This.

I'd like to add, flaws do not necessarily make a character good. You can't just pile on a few negative traits and call it a day. They have to be congruent and realistic. Try to give your character some kind of redeeming quality as well, it'll make them more relatable. Look at Light in Death Note; he's a flawed, despicable person, but he's charismatic and intelligent. You end up rooting for him, despite his flaws.

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:29 am

Annasiel wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 am
ButteryPancake wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:15 pm
A flawed character does not equate to a bad character, a flawed character is more realistic. Nobody is perfect, and even though I know how much we all want to be the star of the show for whichever reason, it isn't that way every time.
This.

I'd like to add, flaws do not necessarily make a character good. You can't just pile on a few negative traits and call it a day. They have to be congruent and realistic. Try to give your character some kind of redeeming quality as well, it'll make them more relatable. Look at Light in Death Note; he's a flawed, despicable person, but he's charismatic and intelligent. You end up rooting for him, despite his flaws.
Some would say, even, that his flaws are his strongest points, which is funny.

But yes, a medium point should be reached. We don't want Scrubby McScrub but we don't want Mary Sue either.
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:01 am

Dont fucking one line. Give more to work with.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:09 am

One lining is fine.

Actual Trash

Post by Actual Trash » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 am

ShaFlow wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:01 am
Dont fucking one line. Give more to work with.
Advice and/or encouraging words Sha, not line shaming 0-0
The Rubbish has arrived!✨| Art Thread

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:15 am

Just because you're uncomfortable writing shorter replies doesn't mean others are at fault for liking faster paced, snappier roleplays. Better advice would be try to match the standards of those you are roleplaying with