RP TALK

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
shadowvoidboss
Silver

Re: RP TALK

Post by shadowvoidboss » Fri May 04, 2018 9:37 am

Its more so with the dms i personaly know vs the people i know on here. You want to be creative on here alot of times you get punished for it but in dnd you sometimes get reworded. Not to mention in rps money and other things isnt a facter so you can just walk around and do what ever. In dnd it is so you need to do activities to get money. In rp if i where to rob a place i would get a pm message saying i cant do that and told something like if i do that again they will kick me from the group. But in dnd you can. This is what i mean. In rp we dont have much to do because we dont need to do much which is part of why it dies so fast. As for in dnd ive been in the crowed that says if you can roll for it go for it. But yes this is just my experiance with dms and yes ive had plenty of bad issues with dnd players. The mark on my head i had from a metal d4 dice being thrown at me is one of them.
When life gives you lemons make orange juice... cause fuck the world. XD

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Post by Myrn » Fri May 04, 2018 11:41 am

The real question is... why? Why are you trying to rob a bank? How does this correlate to the story? What is the point? How does robbing a bank add to your character or to the story? That is to say, why should the person in charge of the rp allow ridiculous actions that could damage the theme or atmosphere they are trying to achieve? If you were looking for open creativity there's a section called open range for that very purpose. It's much easier to pull off ridiculous random actions in dnd BECAUSE there is the dice roll with the chance of failure with a range of consequences to the discretion of the DM
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri May 04, 2018 12:06 pm

What? A roleplay is less creative because RP owners will stop you and get annoyed at you for attempting to completely undermine their plot and story progression by derailing it to do something unimportant?

Plot derailments typically lead to the death of an RP, and this is the first and easily one of the most important points. A roleplay is a tandem story among all of its participants, you all make characters who fit within the world that another has created and the movements of those characters help drive forward the narrative. Because again, you are essentially crafting a book with those around you.

I would posit that you feel that you don’t have much to do within these stories is because you are not interfacing with the plot, or at the very least that is the only way I can read “In rp we don’t have much to do because we don’t need to do much.” The only other way I can imagine parsing this is if you are specifically talking about open world sandboxes, and even then those sorts of stories tend to still have overarching plots that the owner of the RP wants to pursue. Which, if you join a sandbox not to follow the plot but to set all of the city’s liquor stores on fire then I suppose I can see not having much to do, because you aren’t trying to interface with the actual story, but rather play out your personal fanstasy of being a liquor store arsonist.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Frolicking Jaegar

Post by Frolicking Jaegar » Fri May 04, 2018 2:18 pm

I'm quite concerned about chloe76.
I miss her, and there's so much more of Will's story to tell.
"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you're among the stars."

Archer_Algren
Bronze

Post by Archer_Algren » Fri May 04, 2018 2:36 pm

One piece of advice I always fall back on whenever I need to post in an RP is to stop and think before posting, hence why I post slower these days, slower, but at least I’m sure, if you have no idea what to do, ask them in the OOC if its okay to post it, and then there are the glory hogs who try to take over the RP, makes me wonder why they didn’t bother to make their own RP if that’s the case, the worst though are people who keep trying to “contribute” to the plot, but instead makes the story go their way instead, whenever I make an RP, the basic plot is already ready in advance and the rest is just room for interaction, I’m capable of bending certain plot points, but I have my limits.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is."

Monika
Casual Mod

RP TALK

Post by Monika » Fri May 04, 2018 5:13 pm

Did you completely miss my story about one of the party members being thrown in jail because they did something illegal?

People do stupid shit in D&D and they PAY FOR IT. at least in an RP, you can't die because of bad dice rolls, DMs who don't know how CRs and ELs work, your party members completely missing a trap which causes you to fall to your death, your party members deciding to walk into a trap that drops them into a pit of acid because they wanted the pile of treasure so you have to find a way to fish them out.

Theres a difference between "Creativity" and "Doing whatever the hell I want regardless of what anyone else is doing."

if you Rob a bank in D&D, if it isn't a group effort, you're doing it wrong. D&D is done in a way to make you to work as a group or you pay for it. a cleric thought he could handle a group of undead on his own, so he split off from the group. He died. Now we were in a dungeon of undead without a cleric because he thought he could handle an EL for the group on his own. At least if it's an entire party deciding to go do something not having to do with what's going on in the RP, the DM CAN just go with it. But if it's one person, that's different.

Last time someone wanted to get 'creative' in an RP, and the RP owner didn't stop it, I had to literally Deus Ex Machina the RP to even be able to let us continue because he completely destroyed it.

The same exact thing killed another good rp.

in D&D, DMs can handle the random stupidity and deviation of players. I personally would throw some sort of cursed coin in the bank vault to curse your character as punishment.

In an RP, it's harder to handle it without breaking the RP. so RP owners stop some things completely. maybe next time you should ASK when you want to do something that has nothing to do what is going on,and have a good reason for doing it.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

Quirbles

Post by Quirbles » Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm

There are classes in DnD that, when tailored effectively, can solo with a bit of effort

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri May 04, 2018 6:10 pm

Quirbles wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm
There are classes in DnD that, when tailored effectively, can solo with a bit of effort
I believe the point was that in a game that is meant to be a group effort, soloing would essentially be killing the spirit of the game.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Quirbles

Post by Quirbles » Fri May 04, 2018 6:14 pm

UmbraSight wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 6:10 pm
Quirbles wrote:
Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 pm
I believe the point was that in a game that is meant to be a group effort, soloing would essentially be killing the spirit of the game.
I know. doesn't stop people in dnds from trying it though

which leads me to believe that people wanna feel special

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Post by Myrn » Fri May 04, 2018 6:56 pm

It's called main characteritis
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."