RP TALK

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
shadowvoidboss
Gold

Re: RP TALK

Post by shadowvoidboss » Thu May 03, 2018 8:37 am

I can honestly say being on rpf is a lot harder then dnd as well as in rpf things are way more limited. This depends on the gm/dm of coarse but still. Turns out that my very first time doing dnd I was a dm and it was a homebrew at that and apparently besides a few small things I did it perfectly. Yet on rpf I can't get a rp to get off the ground. So what I wish we could do was have a section for dnd type role plays and a dice option that's much easier to use so we can do dnd type role plays much easier. And maybe have more role plays that actually last rather then the ones that last a few days at best. Or the many that don't get off the ground.
When life gives you lemons make orange juice... cause fuck the world. XD

Apophis
God Chaos of Serpents

Post by Apophis » Thu May 03, 2018 9:26 am

On this site, I've found it quite hard to get an RP off the ground, and even if it does, most of the time it bears a striking resemblance to Russian N1 rocket tests.
"This makes me want to kill myself so I'm not forced to share air with these people."
- Brandon A. Bogar

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Thu May 03, 2018 9:33 am

I disagree with RPF being more limited. The reason you find DnD easier may be BECAUSE it's more limited. It has a set structure to operate within, universal rules, a basic lore to build on. RPs on RPF tend to be freeform, so you have to build your own lore and rules for players to operate in.

I prefer, and find, that freedom to do anything you want more comfortable than the structure of a tabletop game, but to each their own. They're very different beasts. One is pure storytelling, like writing a novel, the other is using a game to tell a story.

I can try and add a dice function, though I'm not making a new section solely for DnD unless it proves popular enough to warrant one. The existing sections should work fine to serve your goals. Additionally, there are plenty of roleplays that last. It entirely depends on the commitment of the people involved and the dedication of the GM to keep things afloat and interesting. I'll agree that things are more difficult than they used to be, but I think that's more a result of our smaller userbase. We've been growing steadily, and I've been seeing more and more consistently active roleplays.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Apophis
God Chaos of Serpents

Post by Apophis » Thu May 03, 2018 10:04 am

Anyone interested in a Pacific Rim RP?
"This makes me want to kill myself so I'm not forced to share air with these people."
- Brandon A. Bogar

shadowvoidboss
Gold

Post by shadowvoidboss » Thu May 03, 2018 10:47 am

I would be. And true in that reguard yes but I mean it's more open with how you can act in a dnd rather then in a rp from what I have seen but then again I have also seen the opposite.
When life gives you lemons make orange juice... cause fuck the world. XD

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Thu May 03, 2018 3:48 pm

what do you mean by more open with how you can act? unless you mean rps have less random insanity and stupid moments than D&D games, then you're right. I have yet to see a TPK in an RP due to a DM thinking a level 1 party could handle 6 diseased wargs. I have yet to see a paladin see an abandoned Temple of an evil sea goddess in a town and decide to burn it down because it belonged to an evil goddess, and thusly was arrested for vandalism and had to be bailed out by the kender rogue because she was the only one who could afford the 500G bail.

I also have yet to see a paladin kill the wizard because she stood up to him to save some black dragons because he wanted to kill them because they gave off an evil Aura because all chromatic dragons did, whether or not they did bad things and they just wanted to be alone. and I've not seen that same paladin make a deal with one of the main villains to spare her just because the player didn't want the NPC of her character killed, and the player of the paladin probably liked her.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Sounds to me like Monika just had a regression, some sort of PTSD.

I'm still waiting for my crew to show up to the RP they committed to. :p
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu May 03, 2018 11:40 pm

I happily have an RP that has survived about three years

Granted the RP has only moved about an hour in that timespan, but that’s a minor detail.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Thu May 03, 2018 11:53 pm

ButteryPancake wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:01 pm
Sounds to me like Monika just had a regression, some sort of PTSD.

I'm still waiting for my crew to show up to the RP they committed to. :p
cough

Zavier Antiguar
Cinnabitch

Post by Zavier Antiguar » Fri May 04, 2018 12:01 am

Hey, it's not my fault the infidels must be slain!
May your blade be ever sharp, and your will never broken.
Character Info
Pixel Art
Reyn's BBCode Masterpost
Da Rules
Da Staff
Da FAQs