RP TALK

Friendly conversation on a variety of topics! Pruned daily for neatness.
Zavier Antiguar
Cinnabitch

Re: RP TALK

Post by Zavier Antiguar » Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 pm

Shinigami wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:08 pm
valucre wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm
Veilstar wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:06 am
Is it wrong to fool your rpers into thinking you are doing one genre but are gonna do something a little more gruesome?
That's a good question. I'd say not inherently but that the surprise could be cool or not cool for a number of reasons. If I join a western-themed game because I'm tired of doing scifi, and then it becomes a scifi, then it just isn't the kind of game I'm looking for. If I have no commitment one way or the other and the transition makes sense rather than being abrupt and without cause, it has the potential to be cool
Welcome to RPF, Valucre! I'm Shinigami, the moderator of this fine section. ^_^

If you haven't already, please take a look at our rules; you'll find a link to them in my signature. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, just send a message to me or another member of the staff and we'll get back to you ASAP.

See you around! :3
Do you just have that saved to your clipboard at all times? Or do you have a special button on your keyboard that pastes it for you? It's weird to see you in every section with a "Welcome to RPF! Here's the rules 'round these parts."
May your blade be ever sharp, and your will never broken.
Character Info
Pixel Art
Reyn's BBCode Masterpost
Da Rules
Da Staff
Da FAQs

Andromeda Infinity
Meaningless Title

Post by Andromeda Infinity » Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm

the paladins return wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:43 pm
Shinigami wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:08 pm
valucre wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:05 pm

That's a good question. I'd say not inherently but that the surprise could be cool or not cool for a number of reasons. If I join a western-themed game because I'm tired of doing scifi, and then it becomes a scifi, then it just isn't the kind of game I'm looking for. If I have no commitment one way or the other and the transition makes sense rather than being abrupt and without cause, it has the potential to be cool
Welcome to RPF, Valucre! I'm Shinigami, the moderator of this fine section. ^_^

If you haven't already, please take a look at our rules; you'll find a link to them in my signature. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, just send a message to me or another member of the staff and we'll get back to you ASAP.

See you around! :3
Do you just have that saved to your clipboard at all times? Or do you have a special button on your keyboard that pastes it for you? It's weird to see you in every section with a "Welcome to RPF! Here's the rules 'round these parts."
You're given a special function on RPF along with the position. Instead of Submit, you click on "Submit Welcome" and it automatically changes it for you.
"We're all idiots on the inside." - My dearest"...And from that moment on, I started loving you unconditionally."

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 am

ButteryPancake wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 pm
You're given a special function on RPF along with the position. Instead of Submit, you click on "Submit Welcome" and it automatically changes it for you.
Very tempted to add this.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

Shinigami
Azuria Mod

Post by Shinigami » Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 am

Annasiel wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 am
ButteryPancake wrote:
For the love of all things holy, please do.
The above image is a referral link to Nodiatis, an online RPG that I play.

vvv Important site links vvv
Da Rules | Da FAQs | Da Staff

Shameless art plug: Visit my DeviantArt!

Zavier Antiguar
Cinnabitch

Post by Zavier Antiguar » Wed May 02, 2018 1:43 am

Shinigami wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:51 am
Annasiel wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 12:21 am
ButteryPancake wrote:
For the love of all things holy, please do.
Do da ting plez, for da sake of da Shini

Getting back on topic, I don't know how to control an rp... I'm good at following what's going on, but I can't GM for shit. Any tips and tricks for that?
Character Info
Pixel Art
Reyn's BBCode Masterpost
Da Rules
Da Staff
Da FAQs

Apophis
God Chaos of Serpents

Post by Apophis » Wed May 02, 2018 6:05 am

Planning?
"This makes me want to kill myself so I'm not forced to share air with these people."
- Brandon A. Bogar

Zavier Antiguar
Cinnabitch

Post by Zavier Antiguar » Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 pm

I... can't argue with that.

I just have problems coming up with anything beforehand, and by the time things are happening, it's too late.
Attachments
download.jpeg
download.jpeg (5.7 KiB) Viewed 141 times
Character Info
Pixel Art
Reyn's BBCode Masterpost
Da Rules
Da Staff
Da FAQs

Quirbles
Advanced Mod

Post by Quirbles » Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 pm

I usually fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to small side plots and interactions. Have a skeleton for your idea and then allow the people who join to have an effect and choose the fate of the plot later on.

Plan for contingencies, more importantly. Think of how characters might react and at least recognize that you could create a situation for whatever happens. Sway characters either away or towards a certain decision if you want to avoid derailing.

ShaFlow
Ask Me About the First Ten Minutes of Infinity War

Post by ShaFlow » Wed May 02, 2018 9:36 pm

Quirbles wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 pm
I usually fly by the seat of my pants when it comes to small side plots and interactions. Have a skeleton for your idea and then allow the people who join to have an effect and choose the fate of the plot later on.

Plan for contingencies, more importantly. Think of how characters might react and at least recognize that you could create a situation for whatever happens. Sway characters either away or towards a certain decision if you want to avoid derailing.
Really well put.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed May 02, 2018 10:39 pm

If it’s small group, preplan with your group, lay out the base idea of what you expect to happen, and allow input. If you don’t like the idea’s offered? Don’t use em’. But preplanning can help to keep people on track, and give them an idea of what it being moved towards.

And it doesn’t even have to be all that in-depth, it could just be “ok, soon we will be doing “x” so wrap up any interactions before my next post.”

Someone trying to derail? Either talk to them in OOC, or find a way to wrentch this unwanted plot out of their hands and twist it to your own devices.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III