Question about Playable Races

Have a question? Want some help? Think you have the solution to some horrific problem? This is your place!
Grumnar

Question about Playable Races

Post by Grumnar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:47 am

I am not sure if this is the correct place to put this post, but here I go. I am working on creating a game system/world with the concepts that the term <human> does not exist. Does this sound like too great a feat to attempt? Would it put players off to have a system in which Human does not exist. There is a race I am creating that basically Humans, but are not called Humans.

I have been working on this system/world for several years now and this question has plagued me nearly every day since it was first posed to my mind.

Can someone please offer some advice.

Also if the term <human> does not exist, how should I go about describing other races such as orcs or elves (which have both been renamed in my world) In fact all races have had their names changed to fit a more "unique" feel, or so I feel anyway. Thanks in advance for any advice that can be provided.

Wint
Member+

Re: Question about Playable Races

Post by Wint » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:54 pm

Well, first of all, I'm sorry but this isn't the right place.
The Author's Den is where people write stories on their own, like a book.
You're looking for Help and Suggestions in the Orientation area.

Secondly, it should be fine. Many people have made full-on anthro RPs or whatever that didn't include humans, and they turned out just fine.
If you're looking to explain a race that already exists but has been renamed, say that. Either say they're basically elves or say they share a resemblance. And the same with the other races. When you describe a race, you shouldn't fear to be straight with the readers. It helps them understand what they're reading and it can help them feel safer to put a part of themselves in that story in the form of a character.

If you're making a new race, that's fine as well. If you have anything to anchor them to, like "The Kittula are humanoid cats" or "The Yalpei is a race that lives in the cold. Their appearance shares some resemblance to yetis but have tiny models' feet / they are bipedal beings with a thick white coat of fur and abnormally small feet".

Tying something new with something old doesn't take away from its uniqueness. If anything, trying to explain a copy of a race in a vague way to avoid a connection between it and the inspiration could frustrate some reasons who don't see that race the same way you do in their heads.
Don't be afraid to experiment. Races can exist without humans in your world, and that's perfectly okay. Since you and your readers are human, it's completely normal to base your descriptions on similarities to humans, even if humans don't exist in your fictional world.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Also, feel free to check the FAQ thread. viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5515
It may not answer a lot of questions, but it links you to threads that do.
And even then you can be sure that someone will be able to aid you. n_n
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher

Grumnar

Re: Question about Playable Races

Post by Grumnar » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:05 pm

Thank you, I will not post here about this stuff anymore, though I might expand or attempt to expand my thoughts into more of a book than they are currently. Thank you for the advice.