Help With Making A Character

Have a question? Want some help? Think you have the solution to some horrific problem? This is your place!
VociferousTendency2

Help With Making A Character

Post by VociferousTendency2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:08 am

It's embarrassing to ask this, but I'm out of options at the moment.

Would anyone be interested in helping me come up with an idea for a character? I have characters already that I've used for a long time, but they all have half-established histories and specific universes they belong to. I'm wanting to do something new, but between work and everything going on, I can't work up a good base to start on a fresh new character. If anyone has any suggestions or hints they want to give on where a good place to start would be, it would be much appreciated.

~Voci
Save a horse; ride a cowboy~

Trandafir
Gold

Re: Help With Making A Character

Post by Trandafir » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:24 am

I know some people start by searching online for appearances. Wheather your thing is using art or fashion models, sometimes catching a visual is a good way to spark an idea.
Hey! Isn't it funny we all want what isn't right?

VociferousTendency2

Post by VociferousTendency2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:42 am

That sounds good, thanks.

I tend to work from the inside out first, getting an idea for what I want to play before putting a face to anything. For instance, I know I want someone who's really good at wood carving, and can make pretty much anything from wood and leather straps. That being said, someone like that has to either live near a shop where they can get leather straps, know someone who can fix them up with some, or go out and make it themself. They have to either live in a rural area where access to lumber is easy, or have a wood shop nearby. This person is good with a knife, they're someone with a vision, and they're ready to shape it out of what they have in front of them with their own hands.

Now that we have that, what's the face? Is it some old man who's been carving wood as a family tradition, is it someone young and aspiring, full of bright-eyed enthusiasm? Is it even human, or an alien? Maybe an alien robot who got stranded on Earth and became enamored with such a primitive and beautiful art?

That's the part where I get stuck at. I know what I want, just not how I want it. If that makes any sense.

Trandafir
Gold

Post by Trandafir » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:58 am

When I'm building a character I try to always get the environment first. I rarely ever use the same character for a different story or rp as the world they're born and raised in are important for their careers, personality, relationships and all that.

I think your difficulty comes with wanting to create a character before this base is established. Unless you want to come up with a character who works solo, which I believe it's quite difficult considering that character and story go together
Hey! Isn't it funny we all want what isn't right?

VociferousTendency2

Post by VociferousTendency2 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:14 am

I do see your point on that. It is important to have them rooted in a set environment, so that they have that establishment. The only problem I have with that is, it will be difficult to use a character who only works in a specific way to interact with anything outside their rules. I like having characters with some existential leniency, so that they don't have as much trrouble adapting to a new set of rules. If I wanted to make a specific character to for into a specific world, I have to know what the world is first, and find someone else who is compatible.

But I do see your point, I absolutely do see where you're coming from on this.