Selection difficulties

Have a question? Want some help? Think you have the solution to some horrific problem? This is your place!
Murdergurl

Selection difficulties

Post by Murdergurl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 pm

I don't know how to put this without possibly sounding like a bit of a whiner, but I can never seem to find a RP that I really want to get into.

Now, I know the obvious answer to this would seem to be: Make Your Own. However, I have gone this route before and surmise it to say that I have found out the hard way that I am not one to lead groups through a storyline. While I am more than capable of fleshing out settings and plot points, I simply do not have the patience to organize people and pull them through it. I feel I am more of a reactionary writer when it comes to RP, and I'd rather not try to tell my own story while juggling 3, 4, 5, or more of other peoples characters through it. Nor do I particularly find a 1 on 1 very appealing. I am also overly picky about the propriety of characters in that they match the setting and mood. I feel I am too stringent for other people to have to put up with, but at the same time I do not want to compromise the general atmosphere of whatever world I have created by having a slightly off character involved. Please keep in mind that I am not defending whether my doing this is fair, I am simply pointing out that I am not a good 'DM'.

Getting back to my initial conundrum, I have always had great difficulty in finding an RP that I can get into. I speak from a general standpoint, not just this site. I just feel that I am left in perpetual limbo, waiting for someone to pitch an idea that I am willing to get on board with. But it never comes and eventually I just lose interest and move on to another site or just abandon the notion for several months until I try again.

Again, I realize this may make me sound like a bit of a twat, but I'm coming at you with the utmost sincerity of a long standing problem of mine. I know I have at least a small aptitude for writing, but writing my own stories and roleplaying with others is vastly different. I have a desire to be involved in group activities, but cannot ever seem to find a good niche.
(Witty and/or dramatic text here)

Myrn
Trap Card

Re: Selection difficulties

Post by Myrn » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:27 pm

I understand the feeling very well, and to combat it I would attempt finding like minded friends and talk about a group rp we'd all enjoy. Sooner or later the structure and lore is complete enough to work with and you have an idea to expand on for a couple years
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Wint
Member+

Post by Wint » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28 pm

It's not easy sometimes, but I'm sure you'll find something.
Maybe someone else would be happy to take over an idea of yours, so you'll know what the RP is about without having to be the GM.
“Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words are merely the smallest element of language capable of containing meaning in isolation, and as such could never directly produce the 4000 Newtons of force per square centimeter required to break bones.” - Michael Stevens

Murdergurl

Post by Murdergurl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:37 pm

Myrn wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:27 pm
I understand the feeling very well, and to combat it I would attempt finding like minded friends and talk about a group rp we'd all enjoy. Sooner or later the structure and lore is complete enough to work with and you have an idea to expand on for a couple years
Is there a place on this site to kind of make a 'workshop' for that? I know there are the REQ areas, but where would be the appropriate place for someone to voice something like this?

Murdergurl

Post by Murdergurl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Wint wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:28 pm
It's not easy sometimes, but I'm sure you'll find something.
Maybe someone else would be happy to take over an idea of yours, so you'll know what the RP is about without having to be the GM.
The issue I would have with that is basically the same issue I would have with GMing it, only worse. I would feel like i gave someone an egg, and they were just tossng it about however they felt. Also, I would already know the storyline if I were involved as a player. So it would be like watching a movie you had already seen. no surprises in the plot

Monika
Casual Mod

Post by Monika » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 pm

biggest thing is probably what you find interesting, doesn't get much interest from anyone else, so it ends up dying off and the RP owner never tries it again. I know there are quite a few RPs that I've just stopped trying to put up because no one seemed interested in it.

There are very few rps that I join nowadays, and it's only because they're run by a select few people that I enjoy rping with.
I̞͉̣̦̟̱'̩͎̗͚͡͝d̯̲̪̜̤̖̥͟ ́҉̳̝́d̡̖͇͕̺̝́͘o͈̟̯̩̳ ̟̫̹͙͞á͔̤ǹ̶̗͕͈y̶̳̦t̛͕̫̞̟͘h̗̱͙͉̲͘͝i҉͍̘̮̗͙̙n̰̘̟g̷̶̬̻ ͇̙̻̘̦̜ͅf̧͇̞͕͉̤̝̜o̻̗͓̻̠̪͜͡ŗ̸͔͈̺̹̝̱ͅ ̬̤͍̹̬̰͞y̸̢̩̯̹̹o̸̟̻̫̭͖u҉̰͔̪͡

Murdergurl

Post by Murdergurl » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 pm

Kali wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:48 pm
biggest thing is probably what you find interesting, doesn't get much interest from anyone else, so it ends up dying off and the RP owner never tries it again. I know there are quite a few RPs that I've just stopped trying to put up because no one seemed interested in it.

There are very few rps that I join nowadays, and it's only because they're run by a select few people that I enjoy rping with.
This rings truer than I wish it did. Not only in RPs, but in my life in general. I don't see my interests as being those of the popular variety. For instance, I can't stand Fan Fiction or High School RP's, but they run rampant. On the other hand, I would love to see an RP where the players take the role of completely unseasoned dragon slayers, out to try and prove themselves with nothing under their belt... and the entire RP is set to show them that they are not the world conquerors that they were hoping they would become. LOL

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:34 pm

Come up with a solid base idea for what you would like, and I'll let you post it up in Inter so you can see if you can get a few people to help you out.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III