Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Admin

LoliPop

Questions

Post by LoliPop » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:51 pm

How do you post pics on here?
What is world development?
How do you tag a genre?
What is a genre?
Why can't this be simpler to understand?
How can I add a profile pic?

Wint

Re: Questions

Post by Wint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:05 am

Q: How do you post pics on here?
A: You'd have to copy the link of the image you want to post and put it between [ i m g ] and [ / i m g ] (unspaced with the link in between).

Q: What is world development?
A: World Development is the place where you post ideas for stories. It's called that way because you develop the world you plan for your RP to take place in. Don't be confused with Character Storage; that's where you post Character Sheets for your RP. The tag you'll use there is [REQ], as in Request.

Q: How do you tag a genre?
A: When you make a thread, roleplay or not, you can name its title. In the case of a roleplay thread, you want to use the square parentheses [ ] and inside input the matching tag.
Check this out; http://rp-forums.net/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... res#p58659
Rule #3 has examples of Intermediate tags (the ones with genres, which I'll explain in my next answer), and some that appear in both Advanced and Simple (such as [ONE], which applies to all levels, Simple, Intermediate and Advanced) or only Simple (such as [SIM])

Q: What is a genre?
A: A genre is the categories an artistic composition (such as a book, movie or roleplay) can fit into. These include: Fantasy, Science-Fiction, Survival, Anime, Zombie, Video Game, and so on.

Q: Why can't this be simpler to understand?
A: Anything can be tough for people to get a grasp on from the beginning. It's clear that some apps are more user-friendly than others, and it's clear that different people understand different things in different ways, but once you'll start looking around the forums for different examples and check different help threads such as the rules threads in each section (you'll recognize it as it's in every roleplaying section in the World Development subsection with a lock mark on it because one of the staff members pinned it for people to see) and "The Schoolhouse" in the Simple section (where Users struggling in different things can help one another understand things a bit better).
Of course, I'm not trying to say that everything around the forums is flawless. Like many other things in the world, this is a constant Work In Progress.
If you have any ideas or suggestions or problems, feel free to post them in the Help & Suggestions subsection, just like you did with this one.
It can be a rough start. Just give it some time. n_n

Q: How can I add a profile pic?
A: From anywhere on the forums, you can see your Notifications, Private messages and your Username.
1. By clicking on your Username, you'll find three buttons labelled "User Control Panel" (where you can edit your settings and do some other stuff), "Profile" (where you can see the page other Users see when they click on your Username), and "Logout" (which logs you out of your account till you log back in).
2. Click on the button labelled "User Control Panel".
This will send you to the User Control Panel menu (AKA your UCP).
There, you'll have a good array of confusing buttons which you can click on and see what they're doing (if you're curious about them, feel free to ask and I'll explain more thoroughly).
There are 6 categories in the UCP:
Overview | Profile | Board preferences | Private messages | Usergroups | Friends & Foes
3. Click on the "Profile" button and you'll see five buttons on the left side of the menu:
Edit account settings
Manage “Remember Me” login keys

Gravatar - A site where you can post pictures from your device's image gallery and select one to be your avatar on Gravatar. By linking your Gravatar account to the forums, you'll be able to use it here as well.

Gallery avatar - An option which allows you to select an avatar from a pre-set array of options (I'm not 100% sure whether or not it works).

Upload avatar - Probably the more commonly used option among the three mentioned. With this option, you can either upload an image from your device's image gallery, or post a URL of the image you wanted to use without having to download it.
There is a small catch with the "Upload avatar" option, as the image cannot be bigger than 100p x 100p, nor possess a file size of over 977 Kilobytes.
I don't recall whether a big image is automatically shrunk, but there are tools (such as crop or Google searching the image in search of a smaller resolution image) that can help you out.

5. Once you've selected your preferred method through which your avatar will be uploaded, just press "Submit" and it should work and place your profile picture above your Username in a circle and in your Profile menu in a square.

________
Please tell me if I was able to help, and let me know if you have any more questions or requests.
I hope you'll get accustomed to the way things are on the forums, and I hope you'll have a good time here. n_n
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher

TriggerHappy

Post by TriggerHappy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:07 pm

A better way to add images, hit the "Full Editor & Preview" button below the text box, hit attachments, hit add files, and once it's loaded, press the "Place Inline" button. It's a bit more universal, as if you just post the link inside img tags, when people on restricted wifi try to see those images, they won't be able to if the site you took it from is blocked by their administrators, such as on a school computer
Two bros

LoliPop

Post by LoliPop » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:56 pm

Wow! You're awesome! Thank you so much! That must have taken quite a while to answer in so much detail

Kali

Post by Kali » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:19 pm

Attachments, though, can't be copied and placed into the CS threads that some people use to keep all accepted people together, so most of the time you'll have a bunch of CSes with no pictures. And CSes get buried within the Request thread so those pictures end up getting lost.
A sound Soul dwells within a sound Mind and a sound Body.

Wint

Post by Wint » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:40 pm

No problem!! n_n 👍👍
“It’s not the size of your brain that matters, it’s whether or not you can set things on fire with it” ~ A wise philosopher