Fate Breakers

HoneyBuzz
Bronze

Fate Breakers

Post by HoneyBuzz » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:21 pm

Nestled deep within a thick grove of trees far more ancient than humanity itself, a little camp full of bustling people was hidden. It was a muggy day, and a light fog had washed over the area and seemed to be sticking around for much longer than intended. Combined with a light on-and-off rain, and the day was sure to make even the strongest of men sluggish. The sun was high in the sky, about afternoon, when a call rang out to the rest of the camp.

An Animaline woman, about twenty years of age, stood on a shoddily built platform. Her amber eyes surveyed the growing crowd, and a warm smile grew on her face. "The time has finally arrived, where we strike our first blow against those who wronged us." Her voice was calm and sweet, but an edge of anger was hidden beneath. Small cheers waved through the crowd, although they were quiet to not alert any possible threats nearby. "Earlier this morning, I received news that a Bishop set up a camp of trainees just due east, an hour's walk away." Her smile dropped and she gripped the hilt of her Sun Sword, which sat in it's scabbard around her waist. "Tonight we will move out and do what we do best; Show them that we are not going to bend to their fake laws of fate so easily!"
y'know, like ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Nya *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Rorschach

Re: Fate Breakers

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:53 am

As commotion among the camp begins to rise Tommy quickly pokes his head out from a tree that makes his bed, glancing over to the thick crowd he watches as an animaline woman begins her speech. After rubbing the crust from his eyes and stretching his limbs, Tommy hops from the tree down to the brush and gathers with the rest of the camp before the lady. As her words come out the camp rustles with encouragement but Tommy does not, instead he is worried far more about the water that sprinkles across his soft coat of fur. Although Tommy is here for the same reason as the other he does not invest himself in too much of the rebels pride, he did not come for peace or justice or anything silly like that. The only feeling he shared with the warriors around him, as far as he was concerned, was the thirst for Bishop blood. The thought of his clan makes Tommy squint with anger and his claws reveal from his paws, the feeling was even too much for him so he takes to the back of the crowd once again.
"I will bring the future the stars want," Tommy says brushing over his tail and looks to the muggy skies, "I will bring the future the stars deserve."
Tell me, what do you see?

SuXeSoN

Post by SuXeSoN » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:13 am

Lucis Karadyre sat silently on a hollow, fallen log. The eyes of the youngest child of the crowd peered from the top of his book. From the looks of his age, one would probably assume that it was young adult fiction at best. However, books were rare in this camp. They were rarely collected as not many were educated enough to read, much less judge what books were good to take back to camp whenever scavengers were sent out. Plus, The Outskirts isn't exactly the best place for books.

Whatever was found, was read. Lucis didn't have much of a choice. He was rarely sent out with the dispatches since his age and physical build meant he wasn't suited for arduous work. So he stayed at camp. Without too much to do, whenever he wasn't experimenting with his abilities or cooking, he ended up reading whatever was found. He can't be picky.

This time, he was halfway into a book about ancient warfare and logistics. The regulation of rations and supplies to armies and stuff like that. Of course, it wasn't the type for kids. Under normal circumstances, the boy wouldn't even think of picking up the book. Absorbing the knowledge was tough too. It was almost impossible for Lucis to chew down the difficult bits for digestion. But he read anyways. There wasn't much of a choice.

Since he wasn't able to immerse himself properly in the book, Carmen's voice picked up his attention pretty fast. So the rumours that the Bishops' lackeys were nearby was confirmed. Lucis wasn't quite sure what to make of that. Sure, he wanted his revenge and all. That was most likely the reason why the Fateless exist. But... He wasn't so bloodthirsty, unlike the white-haired Animaline who just dropped down from the tree. Tommy, was it?

An entire year passed since he woke up, a century or so since he was separated from his mom. The memories were there, but... The emotions weren't, he was so detached from what happened many years ago that frankly, unlike most others in the camp, he actually didn't really give too much of a damn. Kind of like he already accepted that the Bishops will indeed remain all powerful. But there was one thing driving him this whole time. He wanted Mommy to be proud. While detached from his hatred of the Bishops all those years ago, the feelings of love and warmth lingered a bit. He always thought about how lonely Mom felt after being taken away from her. How did she do after he was gone? He wanted to know. If the Bishops knew the answer, then he has no qualms about extorting the information from them. He might as well act.

"Excuse me? Tonight? As in.. Nightfall? If you plan for us to traverse within the cover of darkness, don't we need much more than an hour to get to their camp?" The book did say something about armies rarely traversing at night, as it was perilous and the lack of sight was dangerous. Movement was slowed in order to be more careful, and generally, it was much more efficient to use night time for rest. That was pretty simple to understand in the book in his hands.

"Also, how much of us are even going? Even discounting the idea that the more of us going meant the more likely to be spotted by scouts even at night. Wouldn't all of us leaving camp make it vulnerable to say... Even attacks from stray wolves?" Food supplies, and water too. Also a topic in the book. There was a quote in there. "An army marches on it's stomach."

It is usually odd or even presumptuous for a young boy to challenge adult-made plans. But this was a common occurrence for Lucis. He wouldn't be surprised if Carmen was expecting this.

"Ahh and also... Don't I and Aster perform significantly better in direct sunlight? Assuming that we are all going, of course." While thanks to Aster, he could actually use her fire as a way to use his abilities even during night time. But her personality made her... Not the easiest person to work with. But that aside, they work well together, Lucis would think.
If you clean your vacuum cleaner, you're making your vacuum cleaner, and you're a vacuum cleaner.

Loyal to none but the one true King... OZYMANDIO-DA!

ConfidentialCon

Post by ConfidentialCon » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:26 am

Ajak tried to keep to the edge of the crowd, clawed hands fidgeting anxiously with the long sleeves of their robe as they listened. It was... nice, to hear Carmen speak so earnestly, and at first they found themself being drawn into the crowd's enthusiasm despite their nervousness. But as the crowd's murmuring grew louder in response to the Carmen's speech, the fear in their chest built up; they wanted to stop the Bishops as much as anyone, but there was nothing more terrifying to Ajak than a crowd that was getting excited for bloodshed.

They were a bit relived when the kid- Louis? Lucis?- spoke up from where he had his nose buried in a book nearby. Ajak squinted curiously at the title for a moment, intrigued, but it was probably far above their level to understand. While they'd enjoyed reading, back on the farm there'd been little material other than the Bishops' edicts and the yearly almanacs; they were no doubt reading a much lower level than someone who'd honed their skills more often and on a larger variety of books.

Still, in another setting they would've wanted to ask a couple questions about Lucis' statements, maybe even contributed their own thoughts, but the terror that the prospect of speaking to a crowd evoked in Ajak made the idea laughable. They just hunched their broad shoulders instead, glancing between Carmen and Lucis and trying to not work themself into any more of a nervous wreck than they already were.

Fluffking

Post by Fluffking » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:01 am

Henrick sat in the middle of camp, eyes focused on a campfire. It was difficult getting it started, even with his pyromancy, and making the flames stick was even harder. His feline ears constantly darted around as he listened to conversations around the camp. He had never really liked the rain, be that because he was an animaline that borrowed from the cat or just himself he wasn't sure, but he disliked the rain anyway.

Henrick listened as a women began speaking. Something about the bishops. That caught his attention. Like all the others in the camp, Henrick was essentially an undead. He had been killed by the bishops, and about a year ago he came back to life. He had sought after his family at first, but learned of their horrible fate. His father had died a few years after Henrick died, and his mother shortly after his father. That left his oldest brother as head of the house. But the job had been for much for Martin, and eventually the family got in a massive debt. Last he heard they had all been sold as slaves. Only because Henrick was stupid enough to question the Bishops' rule.

Lucis said something about attacking in the dark, and while Henrick could see both sides he spoke up "Lucis is right, we have a few that need daylight to truly use their gifts, if we really want to take the bishops by surprise we should attack while the sunset is still there." Much like Lucis Henrick wouldn't be surprised if he was expected to ask questions to operations and such. It was in his nature after all.
You feel like you know me? Don't be so sure, I decided what you know.

Rorschach

Post by Rorschach » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Tommy begins to path back and forth, going to and fro from thought to thought. He stumbles through his own consciousness on what to do next, when Tommy is left with nothing to do he begins to lose himself, it is nothing grand like becoming another self but instead losing the reasoning for being alive again. Nothing in his clan told of reincarnation and though he is grateful for another chance in the world he can no longer think like he use to, his eating is different because of his tarnished tasted buds, his sleeping is shallow but still in large amount, and now there is a disconnect between him and his stars. Something so dear to him and all that he has is fading from him, so Tommy frightened to lose his inner compass chases after his clans teachings, he can not allow the last part of his original self go.
With a flick of the ear Tommy brings in words that rub him the wrong way, glancing back into the crowd he lays eyes on a child, a child speaking nonsense. “That is foolish!” He calls out to the human boy, “If we leave at night then surprise will be on our side! I think the plan is perfectly fine, the sooner and faster we get this over with the better!” Tommy announces then glaring the human boy, “If you can’t preform then you should stay.”
Tell me, what do you see?

HoneyBuzz
Bronze

Post by HoneyBuzz » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:15 pm

"Hey!" A louder voice rang out, originating from a tall elven woman. "Don't start fighting now. The boy is right, there are some of the more powerful ones here who can't perform as well in the night." The woman, Aster, then looked up to Carmen and gave a simple nod, before repeating what she had heard Henrick say. "Surprise will still be on our side if we move out just before Sunset. Which would be very soon, mind you." Aster moved forward, glancing towards Tommy with her typical annoyed look.

"There is no need to rush. That camp will be there for a while, knowing how lazy the bishops are." She found herself at the head of the crowd, leaning against the base of the platform and looking out. "The hastier we are to carry out an attack, the less well-thought out it will be."

_________

Carmen merely smiled for a moment, listening to Lucis and the others speak. When everything became quiet, she leaned forward on her toes a bit and nodded. "Your questions are appreciated, Lucis. We'll be going just before Sunset, and only a few of us will be heading out. The rest will stay here and stay on guard for possible threats." She began to head down, using the ancient staff she owned as a sort of support to help her off the platform. With a grunt she landed on the ground, wincing ever-so-slightly at the impact. "Take a few minutes to speak among yourselves, or speak to me. We have about two hours before we start moving."
y'know, like ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* Nya *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

SuXeSoN

Post by SuXeSoN » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:07 am

Just before Lucis could argue against the brash, older kid. Aster stepped in, diffusing the situation. It was like she said, the matter of surprise would still be there if we were to arrive at the camp at night. Going at night means difficulty travelling, slowing down to be careful was just one problem though. If one were to use a light source for vision, it was actually easier to get spotted during the night than during the day. The dangers of being spotted before an attack is pretty obvious. It's... Counter-intuitive, that's the word Lucis would use if he knew it. He would describe it as "annoying". Sunset would probably be a better time. The boy can't be sure himself though, he didn't know that much. If he did, maybe he would've argued against Tommy more. Kids love being right after all.

Two hours before they would move, so only a few of them would be going. If it's a small camp with less than a dozen men, they could probably take them without casualties. While he wouldn't be much of a help when his abilities are very weak at night. The best he could do is go ahead, scout, and come back while it's still sunset. Scouting was another task Lucis often did, thanks to the fact that he was able to warp anywhere where the light touches. Even if he were to take breaks before he gets nauseous, he is definitely much faster than a group of people walking. Plus, it's been too long since he got out of camp, he wanted to get out and do something.

Lucis closed the book, left it behind, before getting up from the fallen log, and weaved through the small crowd to get to Carmen. The boy timidly nodded towards Aster who was nearby, deliberately ignoring Tommy who wasn't too far. "Uhhh..." He turned to look up at Carmen. He was actually speechless since, for a few moments, he forgot why he came up here. "Oh.. I wanted to ask if.." The confidence from before wasn't quite there. Lucis was actually like this all the time in the past, timid, not knowing what to say. But a year with everyone here was almost enough to get used to it. It's just... He never asked to go on such a critical or possibly dangerous dispatch before.

"Um.. I'd like to go too. Even if my abilities are not very helpful in the dark. I could do... Recon." That's the word. "I could reach the camp faster, even if it's sunset. I mean... East is that way, yes?" Lucis pointed to where the sun rises. "Even after that, I'd like to watch how you all fight. I might learn something." There were quite a few problems with this proposition, Lucis knew that. Like, getting caught. But, for once, Lucis wanted to be more useful than just a kid reading books. He wanted to be more practical than cooking. He wanted to contribute for once.
Last edited by SuXeSoN on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If you clean your vacuum cleaner, you're making your vacuum cleaner, and you're a vacuum cleaner.

Loyal to none but the one true King... OZYMANDIO-DA!

ConfidentialCon

Post by ConfidentialCon » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:50 am

Ajak relaxed a bit as the rising tension seemed to diffuse. It didn't matter much to them personally whether the attack was at night or not: stone was stone whatever the time of day. They were just glad that everyone seemed to have come to an agreement of sorts, even if Tommy still seemed a bit upset; it was really unpleasant seeing people on the same side fight.

More cheerful now that the crush of people wasn't quite so great, they headed towards Aster and tried not to step on anyone's feet or get their robe caught on someone's horns or armor as the crowd dispersed. "Thanks for cooling that down; I was a bit worried Tommy was going to punch him in the face if they kept it up," they said, smiling lopsidedly at her even though they knew only the glint of their eyes and teeth could probably be seen in the shadows of their hood. Oh well. "And if there's anything that needs doing before the attack, I don't mind helping out."

Ajak was used to doing their fair share whenever the camps needed to change location to avoid detection, leveling the stone walls around the sites and covering the signs of habitation with crushed rock. With enough time to work at it, they thought they could do a pretty decent job of disguising the campsites as just natural clearings caused by rock slides. This time the camp would hopefully still be there when they all got back, but perhaps there was still something they could do to make themself useful. They doubted it could hurt to offer.

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:36 am

While the commotion of the camp was going on, Andrea was leaning on a tree, far enough that she was gone by unnoticed, but close enough that she could hear, and see what was going on. Her tailed swayed back and forth as the scene unfolded. The little kid had a point, daylight powers in the camp were powerful, but the others also had a point the night provides nice cover, and surprise. Andrea tensed up, as she felt tensions rise. So thick, it could be cut with a knife. Andrea relaxed as Aster stepped in, and got the waters calmed. "Take a few minutes to speak among yourselves, or speak to me. We have about two hours before we start moving." As Carmen said that everyone dispersed to get ready for tonight. Andrea sighed knowing that it was going to be a long night.
As people were getting ready, Andrea looked at Tommy, and bounced towards him. As she got closer, she noticed his expression, scary, but she knew he wouldn't hurt her, or at least she hoped so. As long as I don't get sent to the next century is fine, right? "Hey, Tommy!" Andrea bounced in front of him, smiling widely. "You going on the raid, right? 'Cause I am. At least I hope so." Andrea stated while placing her hand on her hips, and sticking her chin up in pride. "I mean I should ask Carmen first. But she would probably say yes. And... Are you ok? I noticed earlier, you were looking angrier than usual, or was that your usual state?"