Mists of Distant Shores

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Mists of Distant Shores

Post by Annasiel » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:24 pm

With a final nod, the general departed, and the rest of the soldiers scattered. Only Galen, Elencia, and the girl remained. Galen rubbed the back of his neck, splitting an awkward smile between the two. So. This was it. They were probably going to go off somewhere, do something boring, then come back to more pointless chores. Might as well try and get first impressions out of the way now. Putting on his most winning face, Galen stepped forward.

"If I may, I think we should introduce ourselves. Ma'am," he said with a (hopefully) charming smile. "I'm-"

"Oh, a delightful idea!" the girl interrupted. Galen stood, dumbfounded, as she held out a hand to Elencia. To Elencia. Right-o, so he was nothing more than chopped liver here. He shouldn't have guessed anything different. All the while in the army, Elencia got the special treatment, while he was just shunted to the back like some sort of defective riff-raff.

"I am Aris Sarkasian, it is most pleasurable to meet you."

Wait. Wait just one grubbing second. The girl was getting all doey eyed, head turned aside in a coyish look. There was no way in hell the little glass dolt was trying to hit on his sister. Oh, goddess be, that would be infuriating, but all the ammunition it would give him!
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:46 am

“It is good to make your acquaintance Miss Sarkasian.” Elencia said, taking Aris’s hand. She leaned in easily, and pressed her lips against the back of the other woman’s hand before looking back up at her with a quick wink. “Kellam Silar is my name, I do hope we get along well.”

Why, that was a bit fun wasn’t it?

Wait, that look on her face was a bit odd. The flutter of the eye lashes, the widening of the eyes, the coquettish angle of her head, that flush on her cheeks, wasn’t that? No, it couldn’t be. Did Aris fancy her? Oh this would be quite the problem, would it not?

Elencia straightened, and swept a hand in the direction of Gelan. “And this is my brother.”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 am

"Oh," Aris replied, hand still held out before her from where Elencia had taken it. There was no way in the six hells that - but no, that was definitely a blush on her cheeks, and from the stupid stare on her face, the answer was obvious. Aris fancied his facking sister. Well, that was one less girl in the world for Galen to pursue.

But goddess above, she is prett-

Oh shut it already, you soddering dolt.

Aris stood stock still for an extremely uncomfortable amount of time, her mouth opening and closing but no words coming out. Struck dumbfounded, it looked like. He didn't know where Elencia picked up how to be such a lady's boy, but Galen knew he'd done none of it. He didn't play those sorts of games. Messing around with pretty girls, playing with their hearts, not one bit. Galen was a gentleman through and through.

"Maps!" Aris squeaked.

Galen jumped.

"Excuse me?" he asked incredulously, an eyebrow half-cocked. Jesus, the girl was an idiot. A perfect match for his sister.

"I need to show you maps. I have things, lots of... um. I'll be back. They are in my father's study. One moment!" And with that, Aris was off. Galen turned to his sister, his eyebrow still raised.

"So, the governor's daughter, eh?" he said, a hint of snark in his voice. "I mean, I knew you liked a challenge, but I didn't take you for gay, Kellam Silar. Where did you learn the gigolo routine?"

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:54 am

Well, that was a thing. Elencia wasn’t quite certain what she fully thought of the thing, but it definitely all meant something. Why was it the first person to fancy her another woman? Though, perhaps it would be equally disappointing if someone has within the regulars had taken a liking to her thinking she was a man.

What was the even thinking about? This wasn’t the time.

Elencia scratched the back of her neck, her gaze turning from the retreating back of Aris to her brother, the snark already creeping into his voice. If anyone was happy about all of this, it was definitely Gelan.

“Oh shove it, you’re enjoying this.” Elencia said, with a slump of her shoulders, “and it was something I saw in a play.” She added, her voice far quieter, before she quickly cleared her throat.

“Let’s go gather up our equipment.”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:10 pm

"A play, eh?" Galen said, wracking his brains for something cleverly scathing to say in reply. Something about inappropriate plays - bad romances, perhaps - oh bugger, this would be an easier chore if he knew anything about plays to begin with. He spent most of his own time buried in books, or out playing cricket with his friends. Well... had spent, back when they weren't conscripted into this mess.

Ah!

"Why are you watching plays like-" oh. His sister was already off, heading to gather their supplies for the journey. And just when he thought up something witty! Goddess damn the world.

~

Ohhhhh, what was she thinking, what was she thinking? The boy was a soldier, and an ensign at that. Father would never approve of such a thing. Yet, the way his gentle eyes held a spark of fire, his soft hand raising her own to his lips - it was just like something from one of those myths of ancient knights and ladies. The blush was still refusing to die down from her cheeks. Thoughtlessly, Aris gathered a bundle of loose papers off of her desk and rammed them in her map bag, then ran out the door.

Ink! She needed ink!

She ran back in seconds later, only to snatch a pen kit and scurry back out again.

~

"Why are you watching plays like..." Galen began as he walked up behind his sister, but he paused, the joke already slipped from his mind. Frustrated, he pretended like he hadn't said anything at all. Instead, he busied himself in packing for the journey, grabbing bundles of extra socks, supplies, and a couple books for good measure. He slung the duffel over his shoulder and grabbed his musket.

"Let's go find your girlfriend."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 am

Glad Gelan seemed to have tired himself out teasing her, Elencia busied herself packing a satchel. An extra block of lead to cast new rounds if needed, food enough for at least one day beyond when they expected to return, a field journal, and one important bits and bobs. She slung the pack over her shoulder before gathering her rifle and giving it a quick inspection. No cracks in the steam housing or reservoir, ignitor was fresh, with a satisfied nod she shouldered the weapon.

“Let’s go find your girlfriend.” Gelan said, his own preparations completed.

“Oh, is that jealousy I hear?” Elencia said with a grin. With a tilt of her head towards the door Elencia turned and made her way back out. “What do you think, townsquare?” She asked.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm

"Jealousy? Excuse me?" Galen replied, incredulous. He was jealous, but there was no hope of him ever admitting it, not in front of his sister. How come she was the one getting hit on? It only compounded the constant difference in how they were treated -- Kellam was the model soldier, Kellam was the perfect gentleman, Kellam was the bloody heartthrob -- the very fact a girl was better at being a boy than him stung deep. No point in complaining, though. No point in getting bent out of shape. Just keep a stiff upper lip, and give her the mother of all noogies when no one else was watching.

Yeah. That'll help him feel better.

Tightening his grip around the duffel strap, he shot one more sharp frown at his sister (for good measure), and stomped out of the barracks. Whether she followed or not was her problem.

Aris was, as Elencia had assumed, waiting for them in the town square, a portfolio in her hands and a map bag at her side. Her hair looked... different. Still a mess, but a slightly neater mess, and a tiny black ribbon sat nestled amidst the chaos. Had Galen not known who she was preening for, he would have thought it suited her, but all it did now was add insult to injury.

"Alright, let's get your map business over with," he said with a little too much of a snap. He went dead quiet, body tensed. Though she seemed an absolute ditz, Aris was the governor's daughter, so there was reason to assume she had some sort of rank over them. Not necessarily official, of course. The girl hadn't seen a day of soldiering in her life. But she could absolutely tell daddy the two ensigns were being meanies, and land them both on latrine duty for the next few months.

Thankfully, she didn't seem to notice or care, instead craning her neck over Galen's shoulder after gracing him with an insultingly weak smile.

"Hello, Kellam! And... ohhh, I apologize, I did forget your name," she stammered, clutching her portfolio tighter to her chest.

"Galen," Galen replied curtly.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Yeah, he was definitely jealous. Like, this seemed like it was slightly worse than normal levels of jealousy too. However, before she could attempt to breach what would likely be an extremely delicate issue Gelan had slapped his pack over his shoulder, and stormed out of the room. “Goddess preserve, brothers.” Elencia said with a roll of her eyes and a shake of her head. She slipped her rifle over her shoulder, gave the strap a tug to be sure it was secure, before following Gelan out of the barracks.

She arrived not too far behind Gelan, and by the look of it Aris had spent some time attempting to settle her hair. Which was cute, but seemed to have quite the negative effect on Gelan’s already poor mood.

“Hello again, Ma’am.” Elencia said with a nod of her head as she fell into an easy parade rest. She did her best to keep from grinning at Gelan’s very obvious annoyance, it would very much not help.

“If you are prepared, shall we get going?”

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:54 pm

"Galen! Right!" Aris said, nodding quickly, then shifted her attention entirely to Kellam. "So, I was considering... because you showed an interest in cartography, I decided to bring along some additional parchment and supplies. I was thinking I could help show you some of the basic skills. That is, if you would not mind, of course."

The flow of words came out in a lethargic deluge, unceasing, yet so devoid of any forceful power that they more danced around the silence than pierced it. She cut off a little too abruptly, smiling nervously and fiddling with the clasp of her map bag. The girl was nervous. Though his sister might think him clueless, chained to the house with his nose stuck in books, he did have a basic knack for picking up on social cues. The little shifts from foot to foot, the constant fidgeting, the shaking hands - well, it was bloody obvious, wasn't it?

A stray malicious thought crossed his mind, egging him to see how far he could push his luck.

"You know, I think I'd enjoy looking at this map stuff too," he said, glancing at his sister. "I've always liked... cardography."

Aris shook her head.

"It's cartography. Cart-o-graph-y," she replied, enunciating each syllable. "A loan of Bajet cartographie, which in turn was derived from the Rémuin carta, meaning 'map' or 'charter.'"

She didn't seem agitated by his mispronunciation (which was entirely intentional, don't you fegging dare think otherwise), more excited that she had a chance to teach something else. This girl was, to put it kindly, an incorrigible geek.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:44 pm

Well, that was one way to deal with Gelan when he was in one of his moods, Elencia supposed, just forge on ahead, unconcerned with what you left behind. Though, it seemed quite likely that aiding Ares in this venture was her not noticing that Gelan was in any sort of mood at all. Which, while not ideal, worked in its on way. Gelan definitely didn’t seem to have a good way to deal with it such an oblivious geek.

Well, her brother had gotten her into this mess, so it was time she played along as well. “I thank you again ma’am for taking time to teach me.” Elencia said with a quasi-formal bow of her head. “I look forward to whatever it is you have to show me, so where is it we will start with this cartography.” She glanced back at Gelan, with a smirk and a wink.