[RP] Journey Through the Dead Lands

FakeSkrillex

Re: [RP] Journey Through the Dead Lands

Post by FakeSkrillex » Thu May 31, 2018 7:21 pm

Ulfric looked at the group in front of him, he starred at the outstretched hand of the drunk doctor before looking back to the map. All of them seemed eager to go, stating that they never expected the job to be easy to begin with. But it was the question from the woman clad in black that caught his attention.

“I’m not getting paid for this.” He looked away from the group and down at the map before continuing. “The enemy itself is capable. I fought against the dead during the evacuations of the border villages. They fight with some semblance of tactics, they move slow but act with no remorse or mercy.” Ulfric ran a hand over his hair before continuing, ”but they aren’t our only enemy.” Ulfric pulled out a letter from a pouch on his belt and tossed it on the table. The words seemed like they were written in a hurry. “This is from one of my scouts on the northern border, it was brought back by a group of men that seem like they’ve been through hell to get it here.” Ulfric was completely stonefaced as he spoke, his grip tightening slightly on the table as he looked at the ground.

The letter read as follows:

Ulfric. Sargoth has fallen. Small band of men entered the city in the night. Everyone is dead, only a few survivors have managed to escape. They slaughtered the entire city. They aren’t of this world. They raised the dead. We don’t have much time.

Ulfric spoke after a moment “Demons, or evil spirits. That’s what the men that returned claimed they saw before being told to deliver this message to us. It explains why the dead use actual tactics when fighting, they are under something’s command.” He paused and looked to the map, pulling out a knife from his belt, pointing it at Sargoth.

“The dead began moving from here before splitting off into two large forces,” he flicked the knife to the left and right, roughly outlining the path that the armies took, “they ravaged every town and garrison they could, most likely to build up their numbers, before crossing the borders into the East and West. Some have pushed up through the mountains in order to reach us but we have kept it contained so far. But we have yet to here anything from the other regions about these demons.”

He sheathed the knife and looked at the map, crossing his arms “The horselords of the West have been doing okay at staying on the move, not allowing the dead to catch them. Small skirmishes have broken out but I haven’t heard of anything major. But the East is a different story. The fighting has been bloody and brutal. They have strong forces but they can’t hold out forever.” He paused, realizing he was just rambling out loud.

Ulfric looked at the group, gauging the reactions of each of the people in front him.

Cr25pltro6

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Thu May 31, 2018 7:35 pm

Joseph looked a bit offended when his offered hand was ignored but quickly got over it as he listened to the information being put out.

"So, reports of the actual undead rising. I thought It would have been an enemy army of some sort....... but by the gods this changes a few things" he started rubbing his eyes with his hands as he was musing over the problem.

He gave a groan as he said in a sorry tone "note to self: do not drink potions while on the job.........". After a few moments he snapped his fingers, as if making a brilliant discovery, and stated proudly "I can't think of anything....... maybe necromancers? A dark cult? My minds less than accurate at the moment."

EricRP

Post by EricRP » Thu May 31, 2018 9:03 pm

Joseph and Licia were speaking with the unintroduced bearded fellow who insisted he wasn't getting paid for the adventure. Irvyn kept his eyes fixed on the letter and saw it was addressed to an 'Ulfric', he took this to be the stranger's name and listened carefully. The rumours, it seemed, were true. Sargoth was said to have been the source of the threat but he hadn't imagined the scale of the horror until now. The dead marching? And led by some potentially darker and more malevolent force? The stuff of nightmares, for sure.

He turned his attention to the map as Ulfric motioned the path of the dead with his dagger. His eye went hard and his jaw clenched as the point passed over the garrison on the Northern coast where his parents had lived. "ravaged every garrison and town... those words were no surprise yet they hurt him all the same. He'd hardly had the most hands-on mother and his father had gouged out his eye and had him hunted across half of the Northern highroad but they were all the family he had and whilst not giving anything away, he took the news hard.

Whilst Joseph mused about the source of the darkness, Irvyn was considering the likely course of action; the West had the horselords holding their own, outmanouvreing the dead most likely and he felt they could hold their own better than those out East, where the fighting was grave and the omens far more grave. If there were forces failing to repel these demonic hordes on each side, what could four (five including Ulfric) ragtag ruffians hope to achieve? He finally spoke; "Then we're going after the leader?" He mused aloud. "five randomers can't do much for the armies out East and we'd be fairly useless to the horselords... so we must be on a special detail to try to take out whoever's leading them. Right?" He could easily be completely wrong but it seemed a logical enough guess and if nothing else, would show the team that he was a thinker. You don't stay alive long in his line of work if you're not much of a tactician...

ConfidentialCon

Post by ConfidentialCon » Thu May 31, 2018 9:11 pm

Carmine hummed thoughtfully, glancing briefly at the paper before returning her attention to Ulfric. “That might be it, yeah,” she agreed when Vender suggested a neceomancer or cult might be responsible. “Or a witch,” she added, glancing at Licia with a bit of suspicion. She doubted that someone responsible for it would’ve signed up on a mission to fight her own army of undead... but that might’ve just been what she wanted her to think.

“Either way, Irvyn is right- looks like we’re gonna have to take out the commander, whoever or whatever it is, if we wanna have any hope of making it- there’s just too many corpses out there to kill of ‘em again.” She shrugged, privately more troubled by the report of few survivors than the thought of having to fight her way to wherever they were going- it’s not like she hadn’t done that kind of thing before. “The question is of course, is where they are. I’m guessing personally that whoever it is won’t be out on the field; they’re probably holed up in some hole like a rat, watching it all from a distance.”

Azra

Post by Azra » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:26 pm

Who took missions without wanting something in return? That seemed stupid to Licia sure it felt nice to be a good person. Kindness didn't pay for the travels and provisions that called for however. It didn't pay for maintenance of weapons and gear the bewitched rogue didn't think the other cast to bad, that non payment element however was to suspicious for her. She still tried to treat the situation lightly however, knowing her luck he couldn't be to bad she tried to tell herself. "That doesn't answer if I can have twice one of your weights in gold instead of mine." Sounded like a way to spare a few gold bars for some to her.

The enemy had far superior numbers and a relentless nature to compensate for sluggish movement. With in her head the rogue concluded then that she should stick to smaller spaces when possible. Confront them where a strike required precision to perform and usually a bit of speed. "If we need to head for one I'd say the south, better chances. Better provisions to restock if we need it by that time. At least that's the tactical choice, I'd say going east however." The chance of success seemed more distant there which she felt worked in her favor. "If it's a witch it sounds way above anything I've heard of, but maybe not impossible. I'd need to see where casting was to have any real answer though." Licia had confidence she could read and navigate most spells, hopefully nobody would think the lucky rogue was going to revive the dead party members however.

"Another question which city was hit first? If the attackers came from the same point I'd gamble they'd reach one end before the other placing them somewhere there or there." Her hands crossed over each other to point at two rough ideas of where they may have been. "We take the fastest road between there and here and we might cut them off. You mentioned them as sluggish, so they probably favor trails and well traversed hillsides. Otherwise it'd thin their strength in numbers."

FakeSkrillex

Post by FakeSkrillex » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:22 am

Ulfric listened as the group pondered theories of what the cause could be, the purpose of their mission, finding the source, and talking about gold again. He shook his head slightly at the last one. While she showed some interest Ulfric had heard of Licia, and he knew that gold was what she cared about more than most things. But these were times when people like that could be useful.

"Lord Gareth," Ulfric turned to to the now sitting Lord, who had calmed down slightly over the course of the conversation, "Supplies?"

"Oh!" Lord Gareth send in surprise, "How foolish of me. You will all be given any supplies you need, I have men readying horses outside for you as we speak. A pack horse being sent along with additional food and essential supplies. You can feel free to bring whatever you need or want along with that." The Lord had a calmer tone now, he seemed more put together. Possibly one of the only generous lords left. He turned to Ulfric, who nodded in response before speaking.

"We can expect necromancy or dark magic being the source in some way, but we won't know until we have more information," he points to a spot on the map far northeast of the city, deep within the dense forest that completely covered the southern borders. "That's where the one who wrote this note is, Hawthorne, one of my men. He has answers to all of your questions, and since he's one of mine I'm going to assume nothing they have will be enough to kill him. He's a stubborn bastard." Ulfric shook his head a bit before continuing

"In terms of where the armies are, we can only assume that they're at least up to here in The East," he said pointing at what appeared to be a rather large looking castle in the middle of an open field, some small villages dotted around it, "Halmar, their greatest stronghold, given the speed that the army is traveling they can't be any further than that. And in The West we have no reports, last we know they crossed the border but we haven't heard much. But again, the one with answers is Hawthorne. That's why he's our top priority." Ulfric stood up straight and looked at the group. They knew the mission, now it was just seeing what they would say about it.

ConfidentialCon

Post by ConfidentialCon » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:50 am

"All the supplies we need? Whoa." Carmine went quiet for a moment, her red eyes wide. Employers rarely even provided their own horses most of the time; the lord funding this venture was either loaded, bad with money, or desperate as hell. "Thank you. My lord," she said to him with a cheerful grin as she bowed her head, the formality clumsy in her mouth.

Straightening up, she turned to the rest of the party. "Sounds good. We find Hawthorne, we-" She paused for a heartbeat, biting down on the urge to say 'beat the info outta 'im'; that probably wouldn't go over well with the guy's commander standing right there. "We ask him for the info, and sneak our way over to the head rat and take 'em out. Simple," Carmine said, satisfied. It was a plan built on the assumption that killing the person controlling the dead would make 'em all go back to being regular non-walking corpses again, which they really had no way knowing would happen. But Carmine figured she'd burn that bridge when she got to it.

"It's gonna be a long journey to get to the guy, though, an' I figure straightening this out now'll save us some trouble down the road." She pointed to Ulfric, raising an eyebrow. "You. You're comin' with us, an' I'm guessing you're gonna be in charge." Carmine sized him up, raising her head proudly. He looked old and battle-scared, in the same way that a good sword got to be old. "Why are you goin' on a mission this dangerous if you're not even getting paid?"

Cr25pltro6

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:14 pm

Joseph muttured a few angry curses then kicked the wall. This abrupt mood change was immediately explained as soon as vender started his rant. "Magic! Of course It had to be Bloody Magic! I hate that word and every thing it fucking represents!"

He started to repeatadly hit the stone wall with his right fist and muttered just loud enough for everyone to hear "i was just spit balling when I said necromancer! But nope, suddenly everybody's going with magic! It couldn't be a disease or something logical that i could figure out? Of course not! The universe just HAD to fuck me raw!"

Joseph turned away from the wall to look at (what he would imagine) the suprised looks from his teammates. He gave an apologetic look to carmine and said "Oh. Sorry for interrupting whatever you just asked. I just don't have a specific affinity to things that can only be explained by waving your hands in the air and saying 'it's magic'!"

EricRP

Post by EricRP » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Irvyn wasn't easily surprised anymore. Though younger than most, he prided himself on conducting himself with a wary sense of readiness, but the random outburst from Joseph gave him serious misgivings about the likely success of the coming mission. One could hardly expect the dead to rise from the grave and march upon the living without the influence of some dark magicks yet his fellow adventurer was acting like a man out of his wits.

"Yeah, I'm gonna head down to the armoury before it closes. Gotta tool-up for this job. Are we meeting here at dawn or outside the city?" He explained. Then he turned to Licia. "I could eat something too if you're hungry?" He offered. The dark and distant witch seemed confident enough in herself and he thought he might as well try to make friends if they were likely to be in this for the long haul.

"Anyway, up to you." A faint smile before whirling on his heels and heading for the exit. "See y'all tomorrow. Bright n early!"

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cr25pltro6

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:55 am

Joseph's angry expression suddenly flipped to a sad one when he realized he was being ignored. Weird, but slightly understandable. ........... until he started to cry.

"O-oh sure! J-just ignore me! Like everyone else in my life!" His crying turned into a full on sob, filling the room with an uncomfortable vibe............. this lasted for all of 6 seconds.

Joseph suddenly sprang to his feet and started to full on laugh, sounding almost maniacal. He leaned on the wall for support and started to heave for breath in between drawn out laughs, Once he caught his breath, he pointed at irvyn and said in a mocking tone "hello! I'm irvyn! And I want to get into the witch's pants! Hahaha!".

After saying that Joseph's laugh abruptly ended, and his body seemed to relax as his eyes started to analyze everybodys expressions, they looked creeped out. Joseph looked around the room with a puzzled expression upon seeing this, wondering why everyone was looking at him funny. "what? Do I have something in my teeth?", after receiving no answer Joseph started to look around, searvhing for a reason as to why everyone was staring at him like he had the plaque, eventually finding the empty phial that he drank earlier still strapped to his chest.

After a moment of studying it's label, he started to visible panic. "Holy shit! I didn't drink that did I? That lasts for 3 hours!" He dropped the Phil and let it rolll to the floor, where it's name was clear to read for anyone who was literate, it read in small print.

emotion scrambler. Guaranteed to disorentate and confuse enemys by toying with their emotional state!

Just then, Joseph fell to the ground laughing and pointed at carmine "I'm sorry, but you look totally like a boy! It's soooo funny! Hahaha"
Last edited by Cr25pltro6 on Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.