[RP] Journey Through the Dead Lands

FakeSkrillex

[RP] Journey Through the Dead Lands

Post by FakeSkrillex » Wed May 30, 2018 5:08 pm

The sun hung high over Calradia as time slowly ticked by. The streets of the city were busy today, the markets were open, the weather was peaceful, and the light breeze coming from the sea carried a pleasant aroma.

The four unsuspecting party members made their way towards the barracks, and while it was easy to spot each of them in a crowd it seemed that most people that passed by were just going about their daily routines.

You stand now at the entrance to the barracks, while it is just a rather unimpressive stone arch style gate it stands in stark contrast to the homes not even 15 ft away. A guard looks over and sees the four of you standing there looking lost "Main building, straight ahead, can't miss it." his words were simple but it seemed that he knew exactly why you were there.

Now the only thing to do is follow his directions and hope for the best.

Ulfric

Ulfric stood in a darkened corner of the stone room. The light produced from the torches and the occasional small window allowed just enough light to see a good portion of the room. But he wasn't really one to enjoy being the center of attention all the time. He looked over to the table in the center of the room, Lord Gareth stood in front of it pacing back and forth, he looked like he had been run ragged. Which is normal when you think about it, Lord Gareth was one of the last great lords in the South, with Calradia standing as a stronghold. And an army of dead men could come over the horizon at any moment, it was enough to force any Lord to lose sleep over.

"Just breath Gareth," Ulfircs low voice carried easily in the room "we don't know anything yet, if I can just meet up with my scouts I can figure out what's going on. We're not going to fail." his tone was serious but somewhat comforting.

But it wasn't true, he thought this plan would fail. A group of strangers traveling across the country to stop a plague? He only hoped that the East and West could hold out long enough for him to even reach the mountains and get some answers.
Last edited by FakeSkrillex on Wed May 30, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cr25pltro6

Re: Journey Through the Dead Lands

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Wed May 30, 2018 6:04 pm

"Soooooooo" vender said aloud as he nervously strolled with the rest of the group, fidgeting with his hands. "I assume you gentlemen and gentlewomen have also come for the plaque search group job?"

Small talk was good. Yes, it was undoubtly good to build an emotional bond with the people holding big pointy sticks to avoid death by said, big pointy sticks. So, pretending to check his colorful phials that were strapped to his coat, he said "we have a few moments before we reach wherever their leading us, so I think we should introduce ourselves"

Vender started to flick his eyes to every little thing he saw, his entire body was shaking with nerves, it was clear Joseph never left his comfort zone much. "After all, it would be nice to know the names of my comrades before we start our daring adventure. My names Joseph vender! A well known name in the scientific field, if I do say so myself"

ConfidentialCon

Post by ConfidentialCon » Wed May 30, 2018 7:23 pm

Carmine snickered, clapping Vender hard on the back and hearing the rattle of glass on his coat when she did so. "Pal, relax! We're headin' in to meet the boss; we're practically already hired. Got no need to be nervous," she said brightly. She grinned toothily at him, taking in the sight of the group as a whole: one skittish sciency-type, one sullen-looking man with an eyepatch, and a woman dressed like she was going to take a funeral party hostage. Carmine approved: she could already tell this lot was going to barrels of fun.

"But yeah, I'm here for the job. The name's Carmine Lott, professional treasure hunter." She flourished her cloak, which had the convenient side effect of showing the sword fastened securely to her belt. She hoped they weren't all planning on turning on each other like a pack of dogs as soon as they left the city, but if they were... Well, it didn't hurt to let them know that she wasn't an easy target. "Pleasure to meet you all, lookin' forward to working with ya."

EricRP

Post by EricRP » Wed May 30, 2018 8:33 pm

Irvyn kept himself to the group's right, that way he could keep them all within his limited field of vision. The scientist had a lot to say for himself and the tall, white-haired woman (he'd initially wondered if it was a androgynous male but her voice betrayed the truth) seemed blase about the project/mission... In truth, Irvyn was by no means convinced what it was he'd signed up for but once he'd bored himself stalking between the market stalls, he realised there was precious little gainful employment to be had in the city.

He'd been here before, of course, he'd been on the road some six years or so since leaving the garrison and some towns were ripe with opportunities- he'd stayed a summer helping reap the harvest as a farmhand; one autumn he helped the horselords suppress a rebellion and his purse had grown fat with the spoils of war. Most of that had gone on his armour but he'd kept some by should he need it. Other towns, however, were like this one. Not a lot going- that was fine; spend a night and push on ever Southward... But that morning he'd stood on the city wall and looked South, over the pontoons and jettys of the harbour, over the fishing skiffs and jagged stone promontories- and further across hazy blue waters that arced to the horizon and long leagues beyond. This was the end of the line and he could run no more. It was time to join this motley crew and face whatever came after them...

Joseph Vender was the scientist; he'd decided they ought to introduce themselves. A talker. Irvyn could be quite the conversationalist, especially after a hard day's work and a few tankards of ale- but he was cautious and slow to give his trust; experience does that to you. Carmine was so tall for a woman, lean and strong-looking. She had a really raspy voice but seemed at ease immediately. 'Professional Treasure Hunter?' What did that even mean? He pondered. He also cursed himself for relying upon the sporadic and patchy income of the mercenary lifestyle when he could have been hunting treasure! Hell. He didn't even realise there was treasure to hunt!

"The name's Irvyn; I'm your run o' the mill merc." He smiled faintly/genially and paused to inspect the stonework of the gate. His mind flitted back to a rainy, ice-cold morning eight years ago. He was on his knees in an iron cage swinging beside a stone gate much the same as this one as he awaited execution... He frowned. "I don't like castles. Sooner we're on the road the better." He said to nobody in particular. The marks on his arms seemed to itch when he fingered the smooth stonework so he stopped. He hoped he hadn't come across as odd already. Could be a long journey if he didn't manage to get along with this group...

Azra

Re: [RP] Journey Through the Dead Lands

Post by Azra » Thu May 31, 2018 1:36 am

Licia had sanken deeep into the tub incantations flowed from her lips and within the water she cast signs along her body with her hands. She didn't need to be in water or anything for the act that was just for her, she figured the mission she was going to be on for awhile probably wouldn't have much luxury to it so last night she spent the better half of her funds on treating herself. A hearty meal enough ale to forget the shit she'd seen in her work and be a bit stupid, a good room and a woman to share it with. She'd gotten into the water with a hangover but by the time she was getting out it was gone. As she got dressed the woman in her bed simply bundled up further. "No need to leave money just tell them to let me sleep in."

It brought a smile to the rogue "Lucky me" she remarked with a brief nod before heading out. Moving down the steps she was soon met by a young man who handed her an apple green to, a kiss to the cheek in thanks and now she had something to eat ass well. Was nice how things worked out she mused to herself as she checked her things and made her good buys to the staff. Eventually she came to find herself besides the company she would travel with. What looked like a mad scientist, a woman much taller then her and a man rough around the edges who had an eye patch. Of course the loss was no small topic but she herself found it rather interesting all the same. She wasn't sure if it was something to ask about but it added color to the party that intrigued her. While she imagined he might be one of the more off putting of the party and distant it only made the rogue more curious.

Joseph Vender nervous but energetic he was known in his field, his field wasn't Alicia's she didn't know him. Carmine Lott friendly and inviting, chose the title treasure hunter. Way the rogue saw it that was the nice way of saying loots corpses in her opinio. An ugly trade, it often had to be done in the field like it or not but Licia wouldn't of called it a profession. Then came Ivin said he was run of the mill, he didn't like castles though which to Licia said he wasn't so add the tattoos and it sounded like just an urge to hide something. Tossing the apple cord off to the side she picked up her pace a bit hoping to get the door for the others.

For a off handed throw with out much of a look to where the throw towards the garbage bin seemed to be an accurate one. "Licia Fortuna, rogue styled mercenary by trade witch by birth. Never was good at anything but a small range of magic however thus the profession. I'm a bit of a good luck charm however" the mercenary band she had been apart of was known for escaping on the skin of their teeth many times. It never made up for everything that came with the job it was helpful though. With that she reached to open the door for the others standing outside chatting was nice but it wasn't going get the day started.

FakeSkrillex

Post by FakeSkrillex » Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am

The door to the barracks opened suddenly, filling the room with a beam of light. Lord Gareth was right in the path of it and threw his hands up to block the sudden brightness. He heard the shuffle of foot steps and when the door closed four people stood in front of him.

So this was what so much was riding on. A few rogues and a scientist? He was just sending more people to their deaths.

"Greetings, I am Lord Graveth, it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." he said, trying his best to hide the hint of fear in his voice. "I can, uh, presume that you are here about the post." He swallowed deeply before continuing, leaning slightly on the table. "Right. The posting." He pushed himself up off the table "Your reward is twice your weight in gold, each." He said it rather nonchalantly. Lord Gareth was a wise ruler, but he was an excellent gambler. He has won lands from lords over games of cards, and has taken many a fortune from a foolish noble willing to win big.

"But..." there was a certain tone in his voice as he looked over to the corner at Ulfric "the situation in Arlandria is slightly more serious than you've been led to believe." Lord Gareth was obviously nervous at this point. Loud steps could be heard as Ulfric emerged from the darkness of the corner and approached the group, sizing each up as he approached, he stopped next to the table and looked at the group "What he's trying to say is that if you follow me out of those gates on this mission there's a good chance you aren't coming back." His tone was serious, his voice dull and low, and his face was completely devoid of emotion as he talked.

He knew the risks and was willing to take them, but were the rest of them?

EricRP

Post by EricRP » Thu May 31, 2018 9:44 am

Sidling through the door at the rear of the group, Irvyn inclined his head to the right to allow his one good eye to survey the room. Standing to one side was the biggest man he thought he'd ever seen. Twice his weight in gold would be more than double any spoils Irvyn could hope to receive but that troubled him more; to offer such rewards meant this 'benevolent sponsor' likely held little hope of ever having to pay out. No wonder he seemed twitchy. Their final companion, Licia Fortuna, introduced herself as a rogue, mercenary and a witch. She was passing comely yet rather vampish in her attire. She'd certainly noticed him and he felt uneasy under her gaze. Probably the eyepatch. His eyepatch had become folks' ice-breaker of choice down the years and no doubt he'd have to either retell his story or one of the many he'd invented sooner or later. Could a witch tell if you were lying?

"the situation in Arlandria is slightly more serious than you've been led to believe..." Lord Gareth went on. Irvyn had no doubts about that, if even half of the rumours following him down the high road were true then this was a realm very much on its arse and the options were; dig in and hope for overseas assistance, fight in a blood or glory adventure or flee across the ocean. Never did get my sea-legs he thought.

His gargantuan bearded companion added that there was a very real chance they wouldn't return. Irvyn decided he would make an effort to ease the tension. "The market's rubbish anyway." He shrugged. In truth, he'd never returned to a place once he'd moved on anyway. Why start now?

He crossed the flagstones, offered a bow to the Lord behind the desk; "Lord Gareth. A pleasure to make your acquaintance. My name is Irvyn and I'll do what I can to come back alive!" He turned to the gruff stranger. "I don't believe I've had the pleasure?"

ConfidentialCon

Post by ConfidentialCon » Thu May 31, 2018 4:41 pm

Carmine eyed the tall, grave man and the nervous rich-looking one next to him, and shrugged wryly. “I mean, I kinda got that vibe from the advertisement if I’m being honest with ya,” she said. Was he a noble? Was she supposed to bow or something? She’s missed the boat on that; it’d just look silly to do it now. Eh, it was the middle of judgement day; she was sure he understood. “No one ever offers that much if they think you’ll live to collect.”

She grinned brightly, fingers flexing on her sword hilt. Twice her weight in gold, though... that’d be enough to pretty much have her and her crew set for life. She could get Clem a little cottage in the woods to putter around in with her cats, could finally hire a juggler to teach Al his tricks so he’d stop accidentally smacking himself in the face with the balls, could get Braxton... well, Carmine wasn’t really sure what Braxton would want. But with that much money, Carmine could definitely buy it!

But money wouldn’t be much good to her if the dead killed all the living.

“‘Sides, I knew what I was signing up for when I came here. I was in Sargoth; I’ve seen what it’s like out there.” Her smile faded a bit. God. Carmine wasn’t a woman who frightened easily, but what she’d seen there... She shook her head, glancing at her companions. The mercenary and the one who’d be leading them seemed tough enough, but she wasn’t sure how well a scientist or rogue-witch would fare against those things. If they were here she supposed they were here they must have a fair few tricks up their sleeves, along in addition to the witch’s ‘luck’. Hopefully she wasn’t bullshiting them about that; Carmine had the feeling they’d need all the luck they could get. “I’m Carmine Lott, treasure hunter. As long as you’ll pay, I’ll take the job.”
Last edited by ConfidentialCon on Thu May 31, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cr25pltro6

Post by Cr25pltro6 » Thu May 31, 2018 5:15 pm

Joseph Vender was many things in this moment of time brave, confident, and (most importantly) drunk.

Vendor was scared out of his mind when he saw the lord, of all people! (And an extremely intimidating man next to him)There to greet his party for the job contract. So many things could go wrong Joseph thought. What if he said the wrong thing?! Or insulted the king by breathing in his general direction! Joseph would be hung and tortured! Maybe even not in that order.

He was going out of his mind with nerve racking anxiety!

So, nobody could blame him when he, not so discreetly, grabbed a pink colored phial from one of his many pockets and poured everything in it down his throat. He felt weird and unstable when the 'run o' the mill merc' was talking, and then transitioned to dizzy and ill when the treasure hunter was speaking. He actually stumbled back and nearly hit fortunate (was that her name? he didn't know, his mind was fuzzy).

Then, it finally happened. His body and mind clicked together in harmony and he practically felt his anxiety leave his body. His shaking stopped and he was able to look ulrich in the eye.

With a wide grin, he put his hand up for ulrich to shake. "Names vender. Joseph vender. I'm the guy that's gonna save your town and your country. No matter the risks! So you tell your Lord over there to start counting the money cause with us on the case, its practically all ready done."

Azra

Post by Azra » Thu May 31, 2018 5:57 pm

"Easy doc" Licia remarked putting a gloved hand out to catch the guy a bit should he start to tumble backwards. "Though I can apreciate a guy who knows to bring along liquid courage." She had seen it before, a teenager in the ranks or a guy drafted in when usually nothing more than a barber. They see ravens plucking at the men impaled on pikes and are afraid to step anywhere near the battlefield. Give them a few drinks though and they'd march right up to a castles door and ask what the Going price for the king's mother was. Fact Licia had to introduce herself again was annoying, things had gone well however she also felt. Despite concern of the label of witch nobody wanted to burn her at the stake yet.

Resting her elbows on the table she took a look at the map trying to memorize it. "Licia Fortuna, the good luck charm of this lovely troop." She looked toward the stoic figure probably leading them into the fray, he had the stoic demeanor to fill the part. Licia wasn't to concerned though about how things would go, if things weren't enough to get the job she figured her odds of escaping alive herself was good. "I'd rather just talk business your majesty, is it my weight or can it be one of theirs?" Her smile rather pretty and probably equally mischievous. Who could blame her though, hell Ulfric seemed to wear plate that was likely a good thirty more pounds easily on her. "Additionally how capable is the enemy do we know?"