The 13th Hour: Chapter One

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: The 13th Hour: Chapter One

Post by UmbraSight » Mon May 14, 2018 2:01 am

So, it looked like the school did have a track team, which was good to see. If the paranormal club stuff didn’t work out she supposed she could always poke her head in on one of the meetings. Good to keep one's options open or whatever, never know when your first choice of club “come to school at a sketchy hour to witness the twenty-fifth hour of the day, then help to stop it” turns out to be a flop. Oh well, it wasn’t like—

“You asked about the locked doors right? If push comes to shove, I got it covered."

Kiwako’s shoulders clenched at the unexpected voice and she turned quickly to face who had addressed her. It was the tall girl again, and she seemed to be carrying the shorter girl who was munching happily on pocky. That was definitely a strange sight to have after almost suffering a heart attack. She cleared her throat before offering up a sheepish smile.

“What, you’re saying you know how to pick locks? Are you like a thief on the weekends?”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Mon May 14, 2018 11:09 pm

The rest of the students slowly filed out of the classroom as their questions were answered, until finally the Shirogane twins were alone in the classroom. After a bit of awkward standing around, Hibiki suddenly patted her sister on the shoulder. "Well, we should really get going. Go ahead, I'll be with you in a sec." She countered the skeptical look she got with that dumb grin of hers, and Kaoru only smiled back. Once her sister walked out of the room to get her bag, Hibiki turned to her senior, Naito, and quickly bowed. "Thanks for dealing with her." She spun around and ran after her sister without waiting for a response.

Kaoru turned to Hibiki as she rejoined her, letting her breath out in a sigh. They walked for a little bit. "Sorry, big sis." She put an arm around her sister's shoulder. "I promised I'd be more outgoing, didn't I?" Hibiki put her own arm over her shoulder in return, as they both knew she would. "It's fine, it's fine. If you need me, I'm always here." She was uncharacteristically quiet when she said that. For a moment, the pair of twins stopped and stared at each other's eyes.

Then they burst into laughter.

The effect was eerie, how they were perfectly in step with each other and seemed to know what the other felt. In fact, they only stopped when they looked back, only just spotting the three other girls in the hallway, one of whom was literally being carried by another. Kaoru froze, unable to stop a squeak escaping as the colour drained from her face. They were too close! They were in earshot, they heard everything!

Hibiki waved at the group down the hall with her free hand, beaming as she did so. Perfect timing! They probably heard what Kao said about her not being social. They'd probably love to help! She nudged her sister. "Hey, big sis. It's fine." Was it weird that they both called each other older? Eh, she didn't think so. Walking her sister a few steps closer, Hibiki cleared her throat.

"Nice to meet you!"
"N-nice to meet you..."

The identical twins shared a look after speaking in sync. One laughed it off with a wide grin, while the other started to seem even more tense and uneasy, eyes darting everywhere.
Snowskeeper wrote:"I rip off my head and slam-dunk it into the nearest trashcan

Good morning"
- May 2017

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue May 15, 2018 12:25 am

"God I'm an idiot. Thought the Bishop was some kind of classy jab. Like an oh yeah well if I'm the queen on the board your just a bishop." which admittedly was better then like a rook or something or pawn. Pawns did that transforming thing however and none of them were as cool as the horse. None of which was really relevant though she told herself to just shut up and maybe call her Bishop some more instead of just princess. Focus on actual questions that mattered, try and help the classmate maybe friend know the world outside of rich people.

Doing her best to read the menu from an upside down view given position Taylor pointed out the basics trying to give an easy crash course. "Chicken or pork stock is what that means, basically what you want as the main flavor. Shoyu, soy sauce." She pointed to the first bowl of ramen on the menu and a small marker indicating stock, other options on the list had one of the two underlined saying the preferred option. Then she pointed to Shoyu, and would continue to work her way down giving simplistic explanations. "Shio, salty. Personally I find it gross. Miso and Curry are the best in my opinion, given that noise though I'd say Miso as it's more hearty and filling. Toppings are there think it's self explanatory I like scallions personally." She figured she would stop there as to much further explaining might be rude and with that she just returned to relaxing and stuck a straw into the glass of water provided mid explanation. Asuka politely having just set the glasses down and gone off to help others to give the two time.

"That's why you've been dubbed princess, remarks like that. Honestly besides a date once ain't nobody taken my jacket. Of course they might assign a seat but that's only like much bigger restaurants. Not a corner hole in the wall ramen shop, I find these places cooler though. More inviting" She gave a smile and shrug at the apology remark grateful but figuring maybe this time she shouldn't give it to much attention. "I'd say go with a moderate portion though. Who knows what the club will involve. Don't want to be so full you'd rather sleep then run when something comes after us." Which Taylor found a remarkably stupid thing to say. It seemed right though given some talk of danger and how every nightmare of hers seemed to beg her to go off the trail and be torn apart for doing so. "I'm worried" she muttered more to herself but probably still heard.

AnimuGirlVoiceLebi

Post by AnimuGirlVoiceLebi » Tue May 15, 2018 1:19 am

Lydia lifted her head off the table just enough to see the other girl's face, "A princess is not even a piece in a game of chess, so how did my name lead to that? Wait, do not answer that." She sighed deeply and placed her forehead back on the table, "I am not a princess." She then contemplated why she even let herself be lead on by this punk for so long. With more thought about the situation the more it made her think of when a horse got lead around by a carrot on a stick, she sighed again as her stomach grumbled.

Soon the punk started to explain the menu, causing Lydia to lift her head enough to at least show she was listening. Although it was helpful in understanding the menu and options it neither helped her choose what to eat, nor gave her and answer directly. It even almost sounded like the punk was embarrassed and tried to think of something to talk about, only to end up rambling. It was almost funny...almost.

Her next bit of dialogue though made Lydia shoot upright and stare at the punk. Ready to snap out about the princess bit again she stopped, finger out in an accusatory fashion and mouth open with an angry expression. It all morphed into confusion though which then changed to Lydia looking at the punk like she was weird, "How does a date take one's jacket? Moreover, why would you even give your jacket to a fruit?" She then looked around the shop briefly before turning back with a disgusted look, "How exactly is this more inviting?" She wished to add more but the growing number of stares she felt going her way made her very quiet while also trying to make herself look smaller then she already was, the discomfort on her face was very clear despite trying to hide it. After what felt like an eternity of torture and ridicule, Lydia managed to mutter, "When...when do we eat?" She kept her head down while keeping her face towards the window side of the booth, doing her best to ensure she did not look into the reflection. With how loud her heartbeat seemed to sound she failed to hear the later ramblings of the punk.

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue May 15, 2018 2:06 am

The sort of lingering concern was easily chased away by the remark made her way. It seemed accusatory confused and oblivious in a weird mix of ones own experiences clashing with her own. Some of that was probably her own fault for being unclear and rambling. At least it helped ease the situation however, well for Taylor anyway. Bishop seemed under fire bombarded by the glares for disturbing a tranquil scene. Taylor did her best to laugh and shrug it off with a "sorry, friend is new." Was just meant to help get them off their back but having actually dropped the f word Taylor did feel like she needed to collect herself or shut up.

"Two misos with scallions" she remarked to Asuka who came by. Her plan being to get their orders to help keep the place calm and returning to meals instead of glaring. Taylor checked her funds and then set them on the table. Was just enough for the food and a small tip. "She deserves a better tip" the punk remarked in frustration with her own underwhelming amount of money. "Probably a few minutes" she answered giving a sniff, seemed like miso was the popular order of the night. It's smell was a bit more dominating over the others.

"I meant as in a guy who asked me out once. That's the only time someone's ever taken my coat for me. Well princess or not it's safe to assume you've gone to places a lot nicer and expensive. Me I grew up going to places like this, where the staff and customer base is so small it becomes more like a secondary family. They're also more open to a punk and queen staying out past curfew." The chess piece she considered related to her friend playfully dropped to answer as well. Being told not to answer only hitting a rebellious cord with the girl with a red streak in her hair.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue May 15, 2018 2:48 am

Sayuri sat snug in the crook of Eiko's arm, stick after stick disappearing into god-knows-where. For such a small girl, her appetite was insatiate, and when it came to sweets she could effectively down anything in inhuman time. Strawberry Pocky especially was her bane. Eiko had taken to carrying around entire packs of the delectable treats just to bribe Sayuri into doing things, and even though she understood to an extent she was being bought, she didn't care. Pride was an easy sell when the currency was strawberry-flavored sticks.

She munched on each piece in turn, lost in her little world of wondering what this Thirteenth Hour business was anyway - box of snacks tucked under one arm, violin case tangling from the other - when her daydreams of tonight were interrupted by a halt in motion. It was the girl that had spoken to her before. Sayuri narrowed her eyes, feeling awfully righteous from on top her tower of girl, but quickly relaxed when Eiko made the opening line. Maybe she really was a friend of Eiko's. Sayuri thought she knew all the people that Eiko knew, but it wasn't beyond reason for there to be people to know beyond what was known to her knowing.

Yes.

At the girl's reply, though, Sayuri immediately went on the defense. There was no way a friend would be so rude.

"Eiko is not a thief!" she snapped, mouth still full of Pocky. "She's just cool!"

Two new voices, laughing from down the hall. Sayuri's head whipped around, lighting on two more of the people from before (she thought, faces were never her strong suit, though something about these two seemed to stand out). The frown deepened. Lots of strangers, two of them uncomfortably close, as one of the two girls rapidly approached with a hand outstretched.

"Is it okay?" she muttered, trying to burrow deeper into Eiko's arm. In the time it would take Eiko to answer, another piece of Pocky vanished.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

AnimuGirlVoiceLebi

Post by AnimuGirlVoiceLebi » Tue May 15, 2018 4:45 am

A single line seemed to pierce through the deafening sound of her heartbeat and caused Lydia to slowly look towards the punk awestruck, "Sorry, friend is new." Just one word kept repeating over and over in her mind while she stared at the punk mind totally blank. But she managed to snap back to herself before the punk could turn back to look at her. When she saw the money placed on the table her first thought was sheer surprise at how ridiculously cheap this place was, then a bit more surprise in the form of 'that is all you have?' Before the waitress returned Lydia quickly dug into her purse, pulled out a ¥10,000 bill, shoved the punks money out of the way, and placed the bill in its stead, "This doesn't mean we are friends or anything." Her cheeks were very much tinged red, but she held a serious expression...even if she was intentionally avoiding eye contact.

Having heard that the punk was courted by someone came as quite the shock to Lydia, was only natural though that the one courting would show such courtesy. As for this family business Lydia's face turned into a deep frown, "I have had my fill of family." Soon after she said this the waitress returned with food. It took Lydia several moments of looking before she noticed the extreme lack of cutlery..., "Where is the cutlery? How are we expected to eat this?"

Svisttt

Post by Svisttt » Tue May 15, 2018 6:17 am

Miyako arrived home after a while, not spending much time talking to people, asides from quick apologies for getting in the way here and there. Her house wasn't very big, nor very special looking. It was just a little white house tucked away in a corner, easily overlooked. Just like her, she supposed. She set her shoes on the porch and quickly stepped inside.

Her dad wasn't home, much to her surprise and apparent relief. She wanted to be alone for awhile, and also didn't want to explain why she got home so late. Still, as she stepped into partially empty home, Miyako couldn't help but wonder where Dad was. He was usually here by this time, even on a work day.

Miyako dropped her school bag by the door and wandered into the kitchen, stepping over numerous cardboard boxes to slump into one of the old wooden chairs with a sigh. They hadn't finished unpacking yet, and she couldn't help but notice her mother's things hadn't even been touched yet. The teenager glared at one of the boxes containing some of her mother's old clothes, before shutting her eyes and resting her head on the kitchen table.

She didn't like to look at her stuff. It made it hard to forget.

She didn't know how long she sat there just listening to the quiet in the house when her mind wandered back to the events of the day. Everything came rushing back, overwhelming and cold. She couldn't help but let out a sob. Miyako wasn't entirely sure why the tears started spilling down her cheeks, but she let it happen. She let it happen as her legs moved on their own towards one of the boxes tucked by the couch. She let it happen as she tore open the flaps and held her mother's favorite dress in her hands.

She let it happen as she stumbled to her knees and let out choked sobs, clinging to the piece of fabric as though it was truly her mother. Mom... please help me.
"hold me,
whatever lies beyond this morning
is a little later on."

Myrn
Trap Card

Post by Myrn » Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 pm

Before Eiko could clear any misunderstandings, Sayuri was quick to not only defend her, but to even praise her. She couldn't help the sheepish grin with Sayuri's public idolization of her.

"Eheh.. Not a thief, just some skill of the trade is all." She was mostly implying her time in doing odd jobs which had helped her learn a bit of skill here and there in a variety of things. Eiko's attention had been taken by the laughter down the hall and turned to face the two girls. It was odd to see two people move and speak in sync. It nearly sent a shiver down her spine but at the same time, it was oddly charming, creepy or not. They may share the same face, but the girls were vastly different from each other.

"Is it okay?" Sayuri muttered to her. Okay? Did she mean okay to greet them back?

"Of course it's okay!" She beamed and set Sayuri back down on the ground only to stretch and shake the tension out of her arm.

"Nice to meet you two! I'm Eiko Otsuka, and this one here is.." Eiko placed her hand on Sayuri's head out of habit and finished with a smile. "..Sayuri Fujimoto."
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu May 17, 2018 8:55 pm

“Oh uh, I didn’t mean like actually…” Kiwako half mumbled scratching a cheek. What was this situation even? Why was the tall girl carrying the smaller one as she ate pocky? Why did the smaller one get so angry? And what sort of denial was that anyway? Tricks of the trade? What, like a locksmith? Or was she like admitting she was a thief? How many trades could a high schooler know to unlock a locked door?

The pair of synchronized twins almost seemed normal, almost normal in this case being “sort of like a scene in a horror b-movie. Well, she got the odd couple’s names from this as well, so that was nice.

“Hi, you two, nice to meet you.” Kiwako added as Eiko finished her hello, raising her hand in a quick wave. “I’m Kiwako.”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III