The 13th Hour: Chapter One

Svisttt

Re: The 13th Hour: Chapter One

Post by Svisttt » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:35 pm

Her note was in little shreds by the time the slightly older girl came over to her. She glanced up, and was completely taken aback by the sudden hug. It was comforting to her, in a... mildly anxiety inducing way. In that moment, she wasn't sure if she should cry or laugh, and ended up making a weird strangled sound and was a strange mix of the two. Sniffling a little, she thought to herself, A wild hug appears..., which made her chuckle a bit. Pokemon had a special little place in Miyako's heart.

Oh god, I look like a nut.

Miyako roughly wiped away the stray tears that had formed and cleared her throat a bit, "Y-Yeah, you're right..." She offered a genuinely happy smile, then quickly glanced away and said, "It's nice to meet you Taylor... I'm uh, Miyako."

She was so, so happy this girl had come up to her, despite the little part in her that was screaming for her to run away.

You deserve this fresh start, love.
"hold me,
whatever lies beyond this morning
is a little later on."

Azra

Post by Azra » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:27 am

For a moment Taylor blinked in confusion that was not the sound one usually made upon reception of a hug. The cry was more familiar the kind of sound one came to know in nightmares where weeping figures curled up in shadows lost and terrified. After a second or two though she caught on to the fact part of it was amusement a laugh. She just needed to relax herself, take her own damn advice. "Pleasure to meet you Miyako. I chose to sit there if you want." Taylor didn't know how long this after school whatever would last but the best seat in a class room was with someone you knew Taylor thought.

Granted a reassuring hug and a name was hardly knowing someone but it was a start.

Right then onto the next person if possible stop looking like an idiot. So with as much politeness as Taylor could muster she gave a bow to the princess. Not in a mocking highness way but just from one Japanese student to the other. "Think we got off on a bad start. My initial reaction to a mysterious note had me hesitant." She totally didn't think herself completely to blame for the bad start. She was willing to admit looking at the door like a dear in headlights was placing herself in the way though. "Safe to assume we all got invited anyone know why?"

Someguy500

Post by Someguy500 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:54 am

The new school was certainly a very nice change of scenery, no more staring just because they were twins and they were a little different from the rest, nobody pressuring for Kaoru to fit into crowds, nobody trying get a rise out of Hibiki, no more nothing. It was everything they wanted! Naito, a senior of theirs, had been just great, too. She asked a few questions, gave Kaoru some space. Hibiki reminded herself to thank her for that later as she returned her hug warmly. Kaoru, on the other hand, just kinda shrunk in embarrassment.

Classes went on as they do, even after the new students introduced themselves. It was grounding, in a way, not letting them get the idea that this was some dream. First impressions counted for a lot, and Kaoru managed to wrangle Hibiki into not getting too intense every time someone spoke to her. In fact, anyone paying enough attention to them would notice that she was louder, more confident when dealing with her sister, a far cry from the wallflower she was with others. It was only until after the last lesson of the day that something strange happened. A blue sticky note, with neat handwriting on it.

"You and your sister are different than the other students here at this school. You've both seen this as children, and now you struggle with understanding things that only the two of you can see and comprehend. Or so you've been led to believe. You two are not alone, there are others who are just as lost and confused as you, the only difference it that you two have each other. Please come to Room A-22. We want to help you understand the dreams, you and your sister.

-A Friend"

...Eh?

Kaoru looked around for someone who could be hiding somewhere. Admittedly, that was a very vague set of parameters to look for, but nobody was there. Who would know about the dreams? She mentally catalogued everyone she talked to about them. It didn't take long, since it really was only Hibiki, since their parents had long ago dismissed those as nightmares. Speaking of which, Hibiki had just excused herself for her own locker a bit farther off. Kaoru wondered for a moment. It was rare for Hibiki to pull a prank like this; they both trusted each other and they knew it. This left only one conclusion. Someone else knew about the dreams, surely. Kaoru retrieved her phone and dialled.

"Hibi?"

"Yeah?"

"Come over, I'm by the lab. There's something you have to see."

Hibiki had seldom heard her sister in this tone. This was something else entirely. She reached Kaoru in little more than a minute, and found her with her locker open, holding a note. A love letter? No, she wouldn't be this confident if it was. Without another word, Kaoru handed it to her, eyes wide and hopeful. Before long, Hibiki knew why. Looking at each other, skipped past the "do you know what this means" or the "who would send this". Their stare left only one thing to be said.

"Which way to A-22?"

=====

Outside Room A-22, there was a gathering of students, seemingly discussing something important. The masks went on, and the identical twins headed towards them. There was a real commotion, and they could only pick out one full sentence.

"Safe to assume we all got invited, anyone know why?"

Were these people who the note meant by others? The more confident-looking twin got closer, smiling a bit as she asked nobody in particular, "What invitation? Did you all get a note? Post-it, neat handwriting, very personal message?" Behind her, the less eager one was wilting as she consciously held herself together, biting her lip as she did. If it wasn't for the stark difference in demeanor, it would have been very hard to tell the twins apart.
Last edited by Someguy500 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Lewd the sisters~"
- Annasiel, April 2018

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:34 am

Yoshiki spoke up. "I don't think this is a kidnapping, or whatever else some people might assume, I think this is something really... I don't know..." he said, still trying to make sense of the whole thing himself. "This is Okawa's room, it only makes sense that he was the one who could have given these out, although I don't get how he got around so fast... especially in that wheelchair." Yoshiki trailed off, distracted at the thought of his English teacher travelling at breakneck speeds to drop notes in various locations where specific students would find them.

"Has anyone opened the door yet? Is anyone in there? Did anyone go in?" Yoshiki asked, looking over the assortment of teens that stood out Okawa's door. "I guess we could just knock-" he began, before the door's handle turned, and it swung open. Standing in the doorway was Toshiko, the girl who had shown the new arrivals to their classes. She was dressed in uniform, just like them, and in her hand she held a clipboard.

"Hi!" She said with a broad smile. "I'm happy we're all here... we are all here, right?"She said, looking down at the board, and then back up at the teens. "I hope my notes didn't scare anyone off, I know they can be a bit intense, I write poetry..." Toshiko added, laughing a bit to ease past the awkwardness caused by adding a face the 'Friend' at the bottom of the notes. Toshiko stepped out of the doorframe and extended her arm inside to welcome them in. "Welcome to the Paranormal Club!"

The class was almost empty, save for Mr. Okawa, who sat in his wheelchair and smiled as the teens entered. "Sorry for the cloak and dagger treatment, but I thought you'd prefer I didn't tell the whole school about the dreams and such.." He said, rolling out from the desk and coming closer to the students. "I'm Mr. Shinya Okawa, for those of you who don't know me, I teach English here..." He introduced himself, and paused for a moment. "...and, I have the same 'experiences' as you all do."

"Sorry, that didn't really serve a purpose... does anyone have any questions before I begin spouting exposition? You could get lost.."
~~ You are but a grain of sand, in the sands of time. ~~

Svisttt

Post by Svisttt » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:46 am

Miyako glanced between Mr. Okawa and Toshiko, looking like she could throw up. She wasn't completely sure what was happening, or what all these two knew, but she at the very least understood that this was big. It was all very overwhelming to her, it was bad enough she was about to be stuck in a room crowded with a load of strangers she barely knew... She could already feel herself burning up.

Still...

Surprising herself, Miyako awkwardly raised a hand. She didn't really wait for Mr. Okawa to call on her, she just let the words spill out, "How... how did you know...?"

She didn't know why she had spoken up, and regretted the action immediately. She figured her question would've been explained during his... 'exposition,' but she felt compelled to ask, like the words had forced themselves out. Too late to take it back... Her cheeks flushing, Miyako slid closer to the wall, trying to obscure herself from view.
Last edited by Svisttt on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"hold me,
whatever lies beyond this morning
is a little later on."

AnimuGirlVoiceLebi

Post by AnimuGirlVoiceLebi » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:50 am

Lydia's thoughts finally caught up to her and she was getting ready to storm the castle when the hesitant girl from just moments prior came towards her and bowed politely while also apologizing. Still a bit upset with the rough movement the giant had given her, Lydia's face was still in a glare while looking at the hesitant girl as she bowed. Her mind began stuttering trying to find a response, she wanted to apologize as well but she just could not find the words, she didn't even say anything by accident which caused further mental stuttering. But when the hesitant girl turned around and addressed the others in the room Lydia was once again reminded of what she was gonna do.

Lydia got off the desk and stood as straight and regal as she could while making her way over to the massive brute, glaring all the while. The moment she was within arms reach, fairly close since shes pretty small in comparison (cause for more indignation), she looked up at the girl and tried to make eye contact, "You brute! How dare you handle me like that!" Lydia then crossed her arms and puts on a smug smile while turning her face to the side, "You must have been the first generation of your family to walk upright you brute."

Just as Lydia finished turning her head she noticed that the girl from the morning and the English teacher was standing in the doorway to room A-22, it seemed as if they had just finished speaking. Not having caught what was said, but also being unwilling to speak up Lydia tried to maintain her smug look and turned away from the door.
Last edited by AnimuGirlVoiceLebi on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 am

The small girl Eiko had picked up before came storming over with some incredibly rude words, and Sayuri narrowed her eyes. She was about to speak out in defense of Eiko when the door suddenly swung open.

Sayuri leaped away, hand again darting out to grab Eiko by the sleeve, the brewing conflict instantly forgotten. A girl stepped out, one she almost recognized... the girl who had greeted them when they first arrived! Sayuri stared at her, wide-eyed. So this was the one who'd written the notes. At least it was someone she'd met before, not some random stranger, but she didn't really consider this girl a friend. Best to not say that, though, it might come across as rude.

She introduced the place as the Paranormal Club, whatever that was supposed to mean. Paranormal had to do with ghosts and things, but Sayuri didn't believe in ghosts, no sirree. At least not when it was still light out. Why she, Eiko, or any of these other people had been invited to a ghost club made absolutely no sense to the girl at all, but again, she didn't speak out, only followed the girl into the room.

Another familiar face was sitting on a wheelchair inside. He taught Sayuri's first period, she recalled, though she was late to school and hadn't gotten too much of a chance to talk to him.

"I have the same 'experiences' as you all do."

...what?

Ghost club. Creepy smiling girl. Teacher in a wheelchair claiming he had the same experiences. The pieces fell together like one of those thick-edged puzzles she used to do with her occupational therapist. She didn't believe in ghosts, she didn't believe at all, but she couldn't help but have an inkling of doubt. Nervous, Sayuri half-raised her hand into the air, glancing between the other kids. When she spoke, her voice came out in a tense squeak.

"Are... are we haunted?"
Image "I see things that no one else seems to see..." Image

Poetic Ghost

Post by Poetic Ghost » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:41 am

"Are... are we haunted?"

Okawa laughed, not at Sayuri. At himself. "No, Sayuri, I assure you that you are not haunted." He reassured the girl, giving her a smile. "But that doesn't mean that spirits don't exist." Okawa added, addressing the entire class. "This world, the one we inhabit. It is just one of many. In this world, we see the living, the existant matter, but there are many worlds connected to this one." He said, moving to face the entire group more easily. "The problem is, getting to these other worlds is a very tricky task, and only available to a choice few people..."

"Including, everyone in this room, to name a few." He gestured to everyone. "You all have seen the bridge, yes? You've all woken up in the dead of night to a world that isn't quite your own, or seen visions of a distant place? This is how most people like us live, only cluing into half of our potential. The other half is a bit harder to get into, and is quite difficult to understand. Before I get into it, a quick question... how many hours are in a day?"

Yoshiki reluctantly raised his hand. He had been pretty quiet, just trying to soak up information like a sponge, but now he began to speak. "Twenty-four, but we usually count to twelve twice..." Yoshiki answered the odd, almost redundant question.

"A fair assessment, Mr. Tatsuda, most people would agree with you..." Okawa replied, almost a bit wittily. "What if I was to tell you that there is an extra hour in the day? Bringing us to twenty-five hours. In the paranormal circles, we refer to this time as the 13th Hour... and during this time, the walls between dimensions become thin, and all things begin to exist on the same world, together, like layers of the same image over top of each other, only a little bit different each time."

"Miyako, you asked how I knew about you, about this? Well, its because I was born during this 13th Hour, just as all of you had been. Usually, children can't be born at this time, due to a form of transmogrification that happens to most Humans at this time. But under the right circumstances, a child can be born... and when they are born, they can experience this 13th Hour without transmogrifying." Okawa answered the girl with more questions, but he gave her something. "The reason I knew about all of you is because I saw you during the 13th Hour, during what you thought was a nightmare, when you were really awake, experiencing a blending of worlds every single night."

"Is anyone confused so far?"
~~ You are but a grain of sand, in the sands of time. ~~

Myrn
Intermediate Mod

Post by Myrn » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:50 pm

At first Eiko wasn't aware that the rude girl was insulting her. It was hardly insulting, rather, it was more like venting. Shorties and their equally short fuses can be amusing to watch but not so much when you've got a certain precious cutie clinging on your sleeves to look after. Without much thought, Eiko had placed herself directly in between the two. Naturally to keep Sayuri out of harmsharm's way. The girl's attempts of jabs were simply odd in the silliest way. Was she proud of it? Ehh... it could use some work. After all, she did call her brute twice. Well if it made the girl happy then so be it. No one's hurt except for that girl's pride she guessed.

Eiko merely shrugged as someone wheel chair bound came into view, oblivious to whatever transpired between others she didn't know. Now that she actually took the time to take a good hard look around, there sure was a lot of students who weren't apart of the club.

The one she assumed that orchestrated everything was spouting off familiar nonsense about dreams and the such. Now that she thought about it, she guessed it was odd to have frequent repeat lucid nightmares of the same thing since she was a child. Except they were never nightmares and a part of reality. If Eiko hadn't been leaning against the wall, well, who even knows? She certainly didn't.

"So let me get this straight. You're saying we are all connected with each other because of nightly waking terrors and peeptoms right? And who's to say everyone here does have the same experiences?"
"He seemed the sort to even Dream in suave."

Killian

Post by Killian » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:12 pm

... 有島 張戸 . . .
. Image .
When class was dismissed for the day, Harito's new classmate Tsujimoto Akira turned around to face him. "You decided on a club you're going to join? Or if you aren't sure yet do you need me to show you around? "

Harito gave a light smile, "Ah, thanks for the offer. Naito-senpai had given me a brief introduction. I had been thinking of the go-home-early club, for now."

Tsujimoto gave a small nod. "Just make sure to ask Iida-sensei when not to place our after-class duty days [1] if you're joining a sports club later on."

Harito closed his history textbook, sliding it into his backpack. He looked up at his classmate then," Oh, I should. We're paired for that right?", seeing the the other nod something else came to mind."I see, I see. Well, I'll be in your care, Tsujimoto-kun."

"Likewise, Arishima-kun."

"On the note about that," Harito stood up from his seat, slinging his black backpack behind him. There was a light thump from the books slamming. Inside there were other neat notebooks, and overall the bag was a little too big for his appearance. "For wiping blackboards, I'll leave it to you, alright? Oh, and I can't wipe windows either, so I'll leave that to you, too."

The other seemed a little confused by the sudden statement, but gave a slight uncertain "ah... ok?", perhaps thinking that it was a one-off joke by the expression Hiarito had.

... ...

Some of the high school students stared at the "elementary student" walking down the corridor. The small-sized, tailor-made uniform for Heavenly Host High was enough to say that he was a student. This was rumoured one of the transfer students that had a rather short stature. Despite being the keen analysist he was, Harito wasn't paying attention as his footsteps abruptly stopped at the first floor near the shoe lockers by the entrance.

He looked up at the general school map on the wall while drawing out a piece of paper from his pocket. A note of invitation from an anonymous "friend", with an introduction vague enough to leave the recipient to speculate what they could mean. If their aim was to have him interested, they certainly succeeded with the choice of words.

"I wonder if they might be fans of Einstein or Boltzmann [2]," Harito mused to himself aloud, and he began to walk towards A-22 classroom.

Otherwise, he suddenly laughed a little too loud and startled a first year walking by, if it is a prank, I hope that whoever sets it up has good humour.

... ...

He heard voices inside class A-22 when he reached there. Knocking twice loud enough to be heard, the door slid open. It didn't seem to be a formal class or meeting of sorts. His eyes glanced at the classroom and the students there, settling on a girl and supposedly the supervisor teacher in a wheelchair. He remained standing at the door.

"Naito-senpai," Harito gave a polite smile while recognising the brunette girl, then turned to the teacher. He was definitely not from any of the lessons Harito had today. "Sensei, I'm not interrupting something important, am I?"

..NOTES :
[1] After school duties - I don't know the name of this in English, but referring to the duties such as cleaning the blackboard, collecting homework and updating the class daily journal. Different students get allocated in pairs to do it on different days for their classroom.

[2] Einstein and Boltzmann - he's referring to that these scientists had brilliant minds but were scorned as morons at their time for their revolutionizing scientific theory. Harito understood the "You see and experience things that other people don't, or won't believe." as "standing on the shoulders of a giant", not of the dreams.

. Harito Arishima - Character Profile .
Last edited by Killian on Fri May 04, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previously Luki | ART BLOG | Status: Currently busy IRL. Replies may be slow, thank you for your patience!