Doki Doki Channel: Shattered Oaths

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: Doki Doki Channel: Shattered Oaths

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:32 am

Yamashiro had rejected her, that much was true. Should she not then feel relieved? She wouldn't be forced into a marriage simply to make her father happy, simply for the betterment of her family. Yet, acid burned in her gut, and even after Teru had left the room she found herself staring at that same spot on the ground, uncertain of what to feel. Of what she should do.

Her father would be disappointed in her failure, but was that why she felt this way?

No, she felt certain it wasn't. She knew it wasn't. But then why? What was wrong with her?

Yume sucked in a breath through her teeth, grasped a handful of her her kimono at her hip and squeezed hard. After a moment she released that breath, turned, and exited the room, following after Teru.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:41 am

"-and that's the story of how I single-handedly subdued an escaped kangaroo," Mr. Yamashiro finished, taking an egregious sip from his cocktail glass. The alcohol didn't seem to phase him one bit, only pinking his cheeks and further sharpening the puckish twinkle in his eye. "Ah, looks like our little lovebirds have flown from their nest! Dibs on telling them to good news, [dude-bro]."

The English slang was to be expected at this point. It peppered Yamashiro's speech like salt on an extremely salty plate of pure salt (with salt a la carte), oftentimes used in a fashion completely irrelevant to the conversational context. Granted, this moment was actually accurate by definition, though the man who'd call the stalwart Mr. Furostomi 'dude-bro' was a crazy man indeed.

"Teru! Miss Yume! Tell me, how did it go? Did you two... kiss?" Maybe the alcohol did have some effect, our intrepid narrator reconsidered, for Mr. Yamashiro seemed far more brazen than he had been. He looped an arm around Teru's shoulder and rubbed his knuckles into the boy's head. Wincing, he pushed his father away, eyes sharp as honed steel. "I've got great news to tell you! I've been talking to Miss Yume's [daddorino], and we've decided to go through with the engagement! Y'all are getting married. Isn't that nice? So nice. Yeah. [supercool]."

"I am not marrying her," Teru muttered. His father didn't seem to pay it any mind, only offering his congratulatory hand out to Yume.
Alone she drifts from ancient mists
Nary a candle, nary a wish
But in the wont of wandering paths
Through wooded knolls, and windworn crags
She seeks a face she thought as friend
But now -- she thinks as judgement's end

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:10 am

“I am certain that the two of you must be very excited to hear this news, we were both so thrilled to see how well you two were getting along.” Mr Furostomi added, seeming to not hear, or choose to not hear Teru’s denial. Yume’s face had once more regained its impassive mask as her eyes remained trained on her father’s face. Her father pressed on, if he was aware of the mood in the room or between the two, he did not care.

“There will be some planning to be done before the official announcement, so plenty of time for you two lovebirds to get to know one another more.”

Yume looked from her father to the hand that Mr Yamashiro had offered out to her. Slowly she lifted her own hand from her side and carefully placed it within his, without saying a word.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:46 pm

Teru sighed, glanced between his father and Furostomi, then gave an almost... apologetic look at Yume. His hands were tied, it seemed to say. Despite his better interests, his father was pushing past boundaries they had set before, and he wasn't entirely sure how to react to it. He planned on having a long discussion with the man tonight about drawn lines, but if this newfound assertiveness was any indication, that was going to be problematic.

"Very well," the boy whispered. He ran a hand down the bridge of his nose, narrowed his eyes, and sighed again. "Very well. I have some matters I must attend to. Enjoy the formal. And Yume-"

A soft stare, and a half-cocked smile. Still agitated, but not unpleasant.

"You do have pretty eyes." Teru turned in a swish of his jacket, and before either parent could protest, strode out from the room.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Left, right, right. Or had it been left, left, right, left? Yume could have sworn she had been counting her turns after she had slipped out of the party and into this maze for a moment of peace, yet the further she walked, the less familiar she found her surroundings to be. This bench she found herself standing in front of, for example, she had thought it the one near the entrance of the maze, but more than a casual glance told her it was not. Which meant that she was lost, in a maze.

So, perhaps that wasn't the most unexpected place to get lost, but still. As much as she didn't wish to return to the party, the maze didn't strike her a fine place to be stuck in once the sun finally went down.

Perhaps she should go to the left? Or she could use some ice to mark her path so she would knee if this was a way she had gone before.

She pulled in a breath, and let it out slowly as her gaze turned to her right. That way? Or take the passage behind her back the way she had come? No hadn't that been a dead end? Yume crossed her arms over her chest, slipping her hands within the sleeves of her kimono as she tried to decide on her best course of action.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:22 pm

Teru wandered aimlessly through the maze, following the bend of the paths as his hand traced the hedge to his right. He'd solved it before he'd even entered it. Preparedness was a foundation of success, and the balcony of the host's home provided a good enough vantage point of the maze's entirety. Now, he just travelled the corridors for a sense of quiet, time for his thoughts far away from the party's frantic bustle.

He rounded a corner, and - there was a familiar sight. With silent footsteps, he slid up behind her, only speaking when he was little more than a foot away.

"Hello, my betrothed. Have you gotten yourself lost?"

Fear was healthy, especially for the pampered.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 am

“Hello, my betrothed. Have you gotten yourself lost?"

The voice was like the crash of glass crunching through the stillness of night. Reflexively Yume’s shoulders tightened, she didn't pop up or shriek due to shock, but she spun in place a little to fast to face the speaker, the skirt of her kimono twisting. Teru Yamashiro. Her thoughts rattled back into place as the tension in her shoulders released. Her fiancé, he had snuck off into the maze as well? To find her? That seemed more than unlikely given the disdain he had shown towards the arrangement.

So, just conquincidence.

Yume drew in a breath before meeting Teru’s gaze. “Good evening, Teru,” Yume said. She paused, seeming to realize her mistake, “did you come to catch some fresh air as well, Mr. Yamashiro?”

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:24 am

"Teru, eh?" Teru replied, soft tone undercut with a goading edge. "First names already, my beloved? We have not even kissed!"

Her reaction, while not extraordinary, was incredibly satisfying. She didn't seem the type to overexpress, so the fact that he managed to bring an inkling of shock to her (decidedly pretty) face was delightful. Maybe if he kept this up enough, she would give up on following her father's wishes out of annoyance, and then they could both go on their peaceful, merry ways.

"If you are lost, I know the way out," Teru continued, staring back at where the faint light and noise from the party bled over the hedge. Against the overcast sky, it almost looked like the dawn. "I have no intention of returning back, at least until nightfall. Or if, by chance, it actually rains."

He walked past her, hand still brushing along the branches, and turned to stare at her with those auburn eyes. They almost glowed in the faint light.

"Parties are pointless messes of frivolity. I would much rather be at home with a book and a cup of tea, but my idiot father insists this is the best way to make connections. As if any of the airheaded fools back there have anything worth connecting over."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:23 am

He was enjoying this, was he not? Catching her mistake, knowing the way out of the maze, little things he could hold up. Should she bite down her pride and accept his help? It would get her out of the maze but, what, then she would return to the party? She had come to the maze to get away from the party, what good what it be to go back in now? Chat idly with strangers until her father had gotten his fill, she would rather remain lost until it turned dark.

Well, that was a real possibility wasn’t it?

“I am certain I will be able to find my way back out, thank you,” Yume said, staring up into his eyes. Emotion almost seemed to glow within them, and Yume couldn’t find that she could look away. They were intense eyes, but lovely in their own way. “And if it does take me some time, then it is less of my I will have wasted at that party. Which seems to me to be a good thing.”

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:32 am

Teru watched her in silence. Seconds passed. The clouds above began to shift in a sudden squall, and in the distance, thunder rumbled.

"That is a very good thing," he whispered. A party filled with fanciful charlatans, and here was a girl who wanted to escape it. Whatever her relation to her father's will, that earned her some respect from Teru, distancing her a bit from the rest of the wealthy snobs who wore their condolences on their sleeves and their intents behind porcelain masks.

Maybe she was different. Maybe she had a person beneath her shell. As long as she worked for her father's agenda he would spurn her, no matter how much depth she had. There was no love in pointless obligation. Yet... he was beginning to fall for her. This was dangerous, serious, and something he should have caught sooner. He was often attuned to his own emotions, but for whatever reason, the inkling of affection had grown beyond his introspective sight.

"I hope you will find your way back out before the rain, Miss Furostomi," Teru said, turning and beginning to walk away. "I would hate to see such a lovely dress soaked."

Thunder clapped, nearer now, as Teru rounded a corner and disappeared from sight.