Doki Doki Channel: Shattered Oaths

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Re: Doki Doki Channel: Shattered Oaths

Post by UmbraSight » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:09 pm

“I hope you will find your way back out before the rain, Miss Furostomi.” Teru’s said, as he began to walk away, he looked back over his shoulder, light catching in his auburn eyes. “I would hate to see such a lovely dress soaked.” With that he rounded a corner, and vanished from view. Much like their first meeting, Yume found herself feeling off balance, as she had just missed out on something important.

The heavy boom of thunder broke her from those thoughts, and Yume’s gaze flicked to the sky. Dark gray clouds claimed the sky and threatened to spill rain down upon them. Perhaps it would be best to swallow her pride and follow after Teru? Her lips parted as she turned in the direction he had gone, if she hurried she might still be able to catch up to him. Yume lifted her right leg, but felt a tug at her ankle, in a thoughtless motion she shifted her weight as if to just brush off whatever she had caught her but instead she felt her food connect with something solid.

A sudden cry of shock escaped her lips as balance was lost and she tumbled forward. She felt something “pop” in her foot as she hit the ground in a heap. She moved quick enough to push herself back up to her feet, or well started to until her right foot moved, and a spike of pain caused her to stop with a harsh cry and a creeping chill up her back. Had she turned her ankle? Broken it? Either would be bad, lost in a maze during a storm at night with a foot she couldn’t walk on.

“Teru!” She called out, but another boom of thunder swallowed her words. How far could he have gotten? Was he already too far to hear? “Teru! Help!” She called again. What should she do if he didn’t come?

Yume grit her teeth as she rolled onto her left side. With her arm and left leg she squirmed away from what had caught her leg. A root she hadn’t seen in the low light. She could freeze her right foot. It wouldn’t be ideal, but she could hobble on it. Sucking in a pained breath Yume drew up the skirt of her kimono, and pressed her fingers to her slim leg, trails of ice sliding down where she had touched to her damaged limb.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:29 pm

Teru walked through the maze at a pace faster than a walk, but slower than a run. He really didn't want to be stuck outside when it began to rain, but he didn't want to rejoin the party, either, so he found himself caught in a sort of limbo of motivation. The feelings regarding the Furostomi girl didn't help. Why did he just leave her out there? She was clearly lost, and despite her turning down his offer of help, he could have been a tad more chivalrous. Petty games did little to excuse a lack of character.

What's the worst that could happen? She gets a little damp. Besides, she's a witch with the DDC, she's certainly capable of handing herself.

Another flash of lightening, another peal of thunder, the distance between the two considerably shorter. Under the rumbling air, Teru thought he heard the sound of someone crying out. He stopped, cocked an ear to the sky, and listened.

"Teru! Help!"

What's the worst that could happen?

Without hesitation, Teru began to sprint back the way he'd come, the map of the maze rolling in his head. Had he gone left? No, right here, the other way was a dead end. Hedges flew by on either side, branches snagging at his clothes as he quickly hugged the corners. At last, he saw her, struggling to stand. Her ankle was splayed at an odd angle, and covered in - ice.

No time to think about that.

"Don't you dare try to walk on that," Teru cautioned gently, placing one arm on Yume's shoulders and looping his other beneath her legs. Ignoring any protest, he lifted her up with a grunt, and began to quickly trace the path back to the entrance. "What happened?"
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:58 am

Breathe.
In, out.
Breathe.
One, two.

Could she stand? Did Teru hear her? Would he care if he did? Yume cringed at the sound of another heavy boom from above as she carefully drew herself up to her knees, her ankle providing her a sharp reminder with each motion, the protective layer of ice doing little to help keep the pain down.

In, out, in, out, in.

She had broken bones before. She just needed to get out of the maze, she could do this. She placed her hand on her left knee and centered her weight on the leg. Push up hard, keep her weight centered on her left as much as she could. Lift in one motion.

Out, in.

Ok, go on three. One, two—

“Don't you dare try to walk on that," Teru’s voice was gentle, and before Yume knew what was happening she was being lifted up off the ground, and into Teru’s arm. He had come back. Yume could feel the skin across her nose prickling. “What happened?”

“I, I snagged my ankle on a root, I believe I’ve broken it.” Yume said, awkwardly resting her head against Teru’s shoulder. “I had thought this maze well manicured, I wasn’t being careful enough.”
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:27 am

"You should be more vigilant."

Instinctively, Teru held her head close, stabilizing her body in his arms. He realized what he was doing, but didn't stop. Instead, he glanced at the sky, where the clouds seemed to be darkening with every passing second. He thought he felt the faint drop of water on his nose.

"If I hadn't been there to hear you, you could have seriously injured yourself," he scolded as they hurried through the maze. Another turn brought the entrance in sight. "You should count yourself lucky."

He laid her down carefully in a bench outside, and knelt to check her ankle. It was covered in ice. He'd noticed it before, but seeing it again was a shock anew. She was a witch, of course, so the sight shouldn't surprise him - did she freeze when she was hurt? Did that mean... she could shatter? The image of Yume shattering popped into his mind, and he tensed, quickly shooing the vile thought away.

The ice was only on the surface. He brushed it off with his sleeve and examined the ankle.

"Take a deep breath," he told her, grabbing her hand in his own. His other wrapped around the skewed joint. "This will most likely hurt."

Krek.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Krek

Yume’s fingers grasped her kimono, twisting the fabric until the skin of her pale knuckles was pulled tight. She clenched her jaw, a strangled cry caught in her throat as the spike of pain from her leg flashed in her eyes. She squeezed her eyes closed, her left hand reaching up and grasping what Yume thought to be Teru’s shoulder. She remained still for a long moment, waiting for her breathing, short ragged pulls of air through her teeth, to calm and for the pain in her leg to go from searing to a constant ache.

“Please, Teru, help me up and hold my foot steady.” Yume drew in a deep breath and swallowed hard, “and I will freeze it so it will not move around too much.” Her gray eyes opened a crack and she looked up at him.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:14 pm

"Don't you dare," Teru said, his own eyes narrowing. "I won't have you do anything that encourages you to walk on it again until a proper doctor looks at it."

He rest his hand on top of hers, pressing it close to his shoulder. For a while, he remained like this, staring at her eyes and holding her hand. The sound of nearing voices broke the reverie, and he turned to look at whoever was coming.

"Ah," he muttered. "Our fathers approach."

His hand left hers, and he rose from a half-kneel to his feet. He looked agitated. He felt agitated. He wanted nothing more than to stay by Yume's side, to ensure her comfort all the way to the hospital. Yet, he felt he needed to go.

"I do not wish to talk to your father at this time," he acceded. "Rest, and do not let him push you hard. And..."

Teru swallowed. For the first time since Yume had met him, he looked slightly uneasy.

"I think I have feelings for you. Keep that in mind for the next time we talk." With that, he disappeared into the dying light.

Thunder rumbled again, and lighting flashed across the sky, but Teru was already gone.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:32 am

“I think I have feelings for you. Keep that in mind for the next time we speak.” And before Yume had a moment to speak, Teru took his leave before their fathers arrived. She turned her head to look after him as he vanished into the fading light of the growing night.

“I am sorry I am in no shape to run away with you.” She said into the space between them as a rumble of thunder from above drowned out her words.

“Yume, dear, what happened?” Her father asked.

———

I think I have feelings for you.

Yume leaned against her crutch as the body of opera goers streamed past the column she had stopped next to as they headed past into the lobby. Two weeks ago now had been their meeting in the maze, and Yume still found herself picking at the final thing Teru had said in her mind. It had been so sudden when he had said it, but was it just a passing fancy that had already burned low?

He had always seemed so negative in any event as well.

Still, she looked out at the passing faces, gray eyes searching for Teru.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 pm

Two knocks from the concession stand near the pillar. Two more for good measure, knuckles rapping hard against the glass display. Teru leaned over it, a uniform hat perched uneavily on his messy hair, seeming for all the world that he belonged there. He didn't, of course, but he wasn't going to admit it.

"Miss Furostomi, what a surprise," he said, rising up from his slouch and grabbing a popcorn tin. "Could I interest you in a snack? White cheddar? Or, perhaps, lightly salted?"

Not waiting for a reply, he flipped the switch on the popcorn machine and slid the empty container beneath it.

"I thought I would see you here. Father said you had bought a ticket, and practically pleaded for me to go. From the look of his face when he came home our last meeting, you'd think I broke your ankle myself."

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:54 pm

Yume turned towards the sound of tapping, and was surprised to find a familiar face at the counter. Teru, with a concession cap perched atop a bundle of messy hair. Yume hobbled over to the counter as Teru spoke, an almost imperceptible smile curving her lips. She came to a stop next to the counter, her weight mostly against the crutch her attention on Teru as he worked with the popcorn machine.

“White cheddar sounds like it would be rather lovely, Mr. Yamashiro. She slid a gloved hand into her purse, and withdrew a ticket, “could you be so kind as to show me to my seat as well? I am afraid that I am not too familiar with this venue, that is if you can spare the time, you do seem quite busy.”

Perhaps a perceptive eye could catch the widening of her smile and the faint sparkle in her eye.

“Your father believed you had done it? I had told the two of them about how I had tripped.”

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:08 pm

She seemed happy. That was good. He'd worried the past meeting's events had put a tarnish on her mood - ironic, considering a mere month before tarnishing her mood had been his primary goal every time he saw her - but she appeared more cheerful than typical. Smiling in reply, he pulled the tin out from underneath the machine and sprinkled some flavored powder on top. Sliding it across the counter, Teru soon followed, vaulting himself over with ease.

"My father believes many things contrary to fact," Teru admitted, holding out a hand to take the ticket. "For example, he thinks himself an interesting person, when in reality he has all the depth of Tokyo tower."

He glanced at the paper, and nodded slightly.

"I see."

In an instant, the paper was crumpled and shoved unceremoniously into his pocket.

"I can do you better. How would you like to watch from the Governor's Box?"