Doki Doki Channel: Shattered Oaths

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Doki Doki Channel: Shattered Oaths

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:00 am

“His name?”

“Teru Yamashira.”

“Remember, you will need to impress yourself upon him. This first meeting will be crucial for the transaction. The boy has been hard to settle down, a spot of fortune for us I might add, but that means you will have to prove yourself as worthy of whatever standard he has in his head.” Her father paused as he inspected his on reflection in the polished metal of the elevator. He adjusted his tie, brushed out nonexistent wrinkles from his suit, and otherwise seemed to pay little attention to his daughter standing to his left. He was the model of a businessman whose deal had already gone through, and all he needed to do now was dot a couple i’s and cross a few t’s.

The fact that this specific transaction was a marriage that no one had yet agreed to aside for the parents of the two betrothed-to-be was nothing short of a trivial formality.

Yume’s posture was, as she had been raised to be, perfect. Her back straight, her shoulders back, perhaps her head being dipped forward was a break from the expected, but she was showing reverence to her elder, was she not?

She was dressed in a long white kimono with a blue and pink print of branches with flower buds upon them, and around her waist a blue obi was tied. Her long black hair was pulled back behind her head into a bun held in place by a pair of crystalline hairpins, a long tail of hair fell from the bun, reaching just past her shoulder blades.

With a chirp the elevator door slid open, and Yume followed her father out. The walked down the hall with the sounds drifting music.

“I am certain you will not disappoint me.” Her father said, as the doors were pushed open by a pair of attendants and the two entered the hall.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Re: Doki Doki Channel: Shattered Oaths

Post by Annasiel » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:56 am

"Listen, kid," his father said as he lounged across a sofa. "You've got to get this one right. I can't have you pushing girl after girl away, you hear me? Hey? Hey!"

Teru glanced over, but didn't reply. He didn't want to, didn't have to, and certainly didn't need to. If he remained quiet, his father would just continue talking as he always did. He thought the man just loved to hear the sound of his own voice. No, he didn't think - he knew. After a few seconds of silence, his father grunted impassively, and returned to his speech.

"This girl, Furostomi, she's the daughter of that big tech mogul. Think about what he could do for the school. For DDC as a whole!" The man sighed, and took a sip from his martini. "Listen, I brought you into this world, so you could at least talk to the girl. Don't you owe me that much, kid?"

Teru was of the opinion he owed his father nothing. The man was an embarrassment to him and the human race as a whole. Somehow, people saw him as casual, relaxed, charismatic, but all Teru could see was a lying bastard who knew what to say what people wanted to hear. He lied his way to the top of DDC, and it was a miracle his assistant directors didn't let him run the company into the ground. Still, he'd meet this Miss Furostomi, if it would bring about the miracle of shutting his father up.

"I will speak to her," Teru said back, his voice as hard and sharp as a steel sword. "But I cannot promise any results."

Almost instinctively, he tugged at the collar of his grey silk suit, a tacky, hot piece his father had convinced him to wear to this formal. The hem draped down, and the front was bound with a thin ribbon, almost reminiscent of a yukata. Even the hem of the sleeves sweeped outward, though they were given an extra dose of garrishness by the attempt to make them look like a suit jacket's cuffs. To make matters worse, it wasn't a plain design, but decorated with a lighter grey camellia pattern all along the waist.

"You better try, kid, because she's here now," his father replied, pointing across the floor at the pair stepping out of the elevator. "Go get her."
Swollen with a mantra that I've stolen from a thief.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:59 pm

“Young Yamashira, it is a pleasure to meet you,” Mr Furostomi said as the young man approached them. He smiled broadly, not so much with warmth, than with a faux friendliness, a boss pleased to see some vision drawing together, “I was hoping we would be able to catch you this evening, and might I say that is quite the dashing, ah,” he paused for a moment, inspecting Teru’s outfit in an attempt to decipher what exactly it was. Seemingly not reaching a satisfactory answer, he cleared his throat and pressed on.

“Why you look quite stylish I must say, this here is my daughter, Yume Furostomi.” He said, with a smooth motion towards Yume.

“Good evening.” Yume said, her tone and expression impassive as she offered him a formal bow.

“Oh, my apologies, I have to step away here, I have some business to discuss with your father. I do hope we will have a chance to talk more later. But for now I will let you two get acquainted with one another. If you will excuse me.” And with that Yume’s father stepped past Teru, and made his way to the couch.

Yume’s eyes flicked from Teru, to the room behind him, before returning to Teru. What was she supposed to say? She moved very little but her weight shifted slowly from one foot to the other. “It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” She settled upon, quite lamely.
//… and it was there, and her blade flicked out catching only air. She backed from the door, worn floorboards shivering with each misplaced step...// Fall of the Aelir Isles, Vol. III

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:12 am

Teru bowed his head low at Mr. Furostomi's words, but indulged in no formalities beyond that. He didn't have time for this. He didn't have time for any of this. If he had his way, he'd be off away from this mess of pointless socializing, far from his father's attempts to force every highborn girl with a pretty face onto him.

Well, this one did have a pretty face.

He remained silent at Mr. Furostomi's self-dismissal, then frowned at Yume, mouth drawn into a thin, critical line.

"A pleasure," Teru replied curtly. "You should have heard the way my father spoke about you."

He didn't elaborate. He was displeased, but it was rude to outright admit that on first meetings. Hopefully, after enough non-committal answers and double entendres, this Furostomi girl would get the message.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:51 pm

“Oh.” Yume said, the words somewhere between a question and a statement. Her expression shifted, ever so faintly, the corners of her lips dipping ever so slightly down into a barely perceptible bow. How exactly had he meant that? His expression read nothing at all beyond boredom, which offered no real answers beyond the creeping suspicion that she would not like what Teru’s father had to say about her.

Yume’s gaze drifted up to his eyes, a rich reddish brown, a hue like fresh clay, but in them she found only a hard edge. Not quite hate, but an intensity like he was judging her, and finding her lacking. Yume felt a chill settle into her spine, and she found herself consciously adjusting her body language to keep herself from folding into herself.

Still, she kept her breathing easy and her ashen eyes didn't look away. He was no more frightening than a Grimm, was he not? He was curt, but he wasn't going to try to eat her.

“He has said good things I hope?” Yume asked, grasping onto what seemed to be the only the only available thread of conversation.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:18 pm

She looked uncomfortable. She held a veneer, but every now and then, a little movement or a shift in her eyes belied her true impressions. That was good, yes? Teru wanted to drive her away, and making her uncomfortable was a surefire way to achieve that. Still, he couldn't help but feel the slightest hint of guilt at doing so.

"Good or not, that is insignificant," Teru replied, tone a gentler echo of the sharp crack from before. Unconsciously, he found himself holding back around the girl, softening the edge he'd hoped to discourage her with. "You should not worry yourself with the judgements of others, least of all a man like him."

She really was a beautiful girl. Mellow features, long, silky hair, and deep grey eyes like frozen pools. A shame that, in places such as these, that was the only thing of worth. Looks and prestige, hand in hand - no hope for romance out of love and friendship out of camaraderie. These kinds of people only wanted to better the image of themselves.

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:44 pm

“I,” Yume caught herself, froze the thoughtless statement before it had an opportunity to escape her lips. She drew in a breath, gave herself a brief moment to recollect. She had made a mistake, yes, she had simply spoken in an attempt to try to keep the stunted conversation from fizzing out. Finally she dipped her head down before looking back up into his eyes. “I do apologize, you are correct.”

What was she doing? Was she only doing this to make her father pleased? He clearly wasn't interested so should she be bothering?

Still, instead of politely trying to squirm out of this awkward situation, she found herself pushing for another tact.

“You speak poorly of your father, I too find I can share such sentiments at my father’s requests.”

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:41 am

Teru was silent for a few seconds. He stared at Yume, his sharp eyes narrowing to an even sharper glare, almost appearing... angry was too strong a word, but annoyed too weak. His mouth drew into a thin line, and for a moment he seemed ready to turn around and storm off. He did not, however, and his eyes slowly returned to the usual gleam of a lazy raptor.

"Come with me."

Not bothering to wait for a reply, he walked briskly through the crowd, slipping through a side door into an empty antechamber. Once inside, he turned to face Yume.

"Your father put you up to this, yes?" he hissed in a whisper. "Yet you followed his wishes. Why is that, Miss Furostomi? Why follow the whims of a man you detest the control of?"

UmbraSight
Global Mod

Post by UmbraSight » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:46 am

"Your father put you up to this, yes?" he hissed in a whisper. "Yet you followed his wishes. Why is that, Miss Furostomi? Why follow the whims of a man you detest the control of?"

Discomfort always seemed an inadequate word; it was appropriate, yes, but there remained some trace of failure within the word’s depth. Yume attempted to maintain eye contact, to hold herself with the sort of easy fluid grace that is only gained through practice. Yet her weight drifted from foot to foot, her eyes fell away, found some particularly attractive flaw in the lacquered floorboards to study. She sucked in a breath, but that action didn't do anything to draw words to her lips, nor grant her any confidence after Teru had so easy cut through her.

“It is,” the first few words came slow from her lips, and they felt as if they lingered in the air like unwelcome guests, “the duty of the first born to do what is best for the family.” It was hard to find the distinction between her own thoughts and the ones she had ground into her.

Annasiel
Administrator

Post by Annasiel » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:41 pm

"Is that your belief, or what he believes you should say?" Teru replied. The girl was uncomfortable. Refusing to meet his eyes, finding something particularly enthralling on the floor, shifting from foot to foot as if she'd rather be anywhere else than in this little room. It was what he'd intended, of course, but still that feeling of guilt lingered. He sighed.

"Miss Furostomi, while I appreciate your advancements, I do not appreciate the motivations behind them." He slid past her and placed his hand on the handle. Why did he feel regret in doing this? He treated her the same as all the others, yet something about the haltering way she admitted her father's control, the gentle reservedness - she wasn't offended by his refutations, but moreso... hurt. It made him feel almost as uncomfortable as she looked. "I regret to inform you that I reject your family's proposal. I hope to find a future out of actual love, not ill-fitting familial obligation. I think this the best course for both of us."

At that, he opened the door and slipped back into the main room.