Re: [ONE] Unexpectedly Captivated [12maori3]

Moderators: Moderator, Admin, Developer

ariagrey

Re: Re: [ONE] Unexpectedly Captivated [12maori3]

Post by ariagrey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:41 pm

Lyra admitted she felt a sting when Azriel said her clothes weren't great, but she pushed that aside. Now was not the time for talk of clothes or old memories. They made their way through the castle until they came to the quiet clearing with two horses. She was immediately mesmorized by the majestic beasts. The group approached them and Lyra's eyes were wide. Of course she had seen horses before, but to actually touch one, let alone ride one was something she'd never imagined.

A small fear crept up into her chest as she stared into the horses eyes, the King mounting it. The horse breathed hard from it nose, moving it's head in a nodding motion. "Um," Lyra started, but then decided not to finish her thought. Azriel's hand reached for her and so she took it, somehow managing to maneuver herself on to the beast. Her heart was racing and she held tight to the horses mane.

"I-I-I didn't think it'd be so high." She swallowed hard, licking her lips. "M-maybe I can just walk? Or run! I can run fairly quick!" Feeling the large, strong muscles of the horse shift below was unsettling. They're such gentle creatures, but so very powerful. All it took was one jostle to send her falling off and breaking something.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:55 am

Azriel watched Lyra then realized he hadn't been paying attention to her at all. He didnr remember that when he too was young he had loved horses but riding one had been a while different story.

He smiled a little as he leaned forward, "Here. It helps to stroke them before you begin riding. And you should hold on to the saddle rather than the mane," he removed his feet from the grapple and nodded down to it, "You can put your feet through here so you'll be a bit more stable." He instructed and reached and tightened the hold on the reigns in front of her.

"If you get too anxious, just take the reigns and pull them up. Or just tell me to stop and I will," Azriel told her. As Mor turned his horse around and began to leavw, Azriel carefully began to manuvuer the horse, "You're my eyes remember," he told Lyra as he started the horse of on a stroll before increasing the pace.

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:34 am

Lyra shuddered in surprise as Azriel leaned forward to stroke the horse. She cleared her throat, "Right." Was all she said as she shifted her hands from the beasts mane to the saddle. Her feet just barely reached where he instructed, but it did give her a feeling of ease to have something firm beneath her soles. Then off they set.

~¤~

Along the way they had their bumps as she tried to get used to being jostled about and worrying about not falling while simultaneously trying to help be the King's eyes. Horseback riding really required your entire body and it was indeed exhausting.

It was almost midday when they reached her village or what was left of it. Lyra hadn't been back since the attack and it was painful to see everything she held dear in ruins. The horses slowed, making their way through what used to be streets, piles of burnt wood and hay, rubble of houses, lining the streets. It was hard being back when all the life was gone. Her hands searched for purchase on the saddle, her knuckles turning white. Lyra looked straight ahead and thought only of the witch and the little hope she might bring. For if she thought of anything else, she would surely break.

The village wasn't very large, so they passed it quickly enough and continued between the trees of the wood. It was always quite magical around this time of day. Passing under the foliage was like magic. The sun shown through the dancing leaves, casting light here and shadow there. Lyra breathed deep and looked up at the trees, grateful that she was not still in that dungeon.

"We're almost to the stone." She said softly. The warmth of the sun on her skin almost made all her troubles disappear. Almost.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:10 am

Azriel was careful to put the horse into gallop but after nothing from Lyra, he relaxed as they kept on. Mor, for once, was quiet, seeming to truly understand how dire the situation was. Azriel had forgotten how much he loved riding on horses. He hadn't ridden one alone in almost a year. When he was boy he would take this very horse from the stables when it was just a young buck and ride outside of the castle. When he was caught his punishment was almsot enough to keep him from doing it again.

Now as King, he had forgotten how great it felt to ride. The air felt different than when he was at the castle and he felt himself breathe anew. That was until they reached Lyra's village. Even Mor was wise enough not to say a word as they passed the very homes of people that had been turned upside down. His hands tightened on the reigns of the horse but kept it moving surprised when Lyra didn't mention anything as they passed through. She only spoke of the stone. Azriel gave a nod in acknowledgement. Even when he reminded himself that was the matter at hand, he couldn't lift the weight of what he saw.

No destruction, even on the battlefield had ever looked so heartbreaking. And now he felt the regret. Not in small trickles like before when he had been thinking of his sister, but the full force of wanting to go back and stop all this. When Mor had told him not to trust Tamun, to not grant him the men he had said he needed to protect his district. He had used them to commit this atrocity. Azriel reminded himself as he so often did, that it was a mistake that could not be reversed, only made better. He looked at Mor who was watching Azriel, as if he knew what went on in his mind, "Did we search for survivors?" Mor nodded and replied, "It was only Lyra." Azriel knew then, it was his fault. Tamun would have told him about the stone one way or another, but the lives of everyone in the village could have been spared if he didn't have access to that small army.

"Az," Mor said firmly, for once his eyes a hardened caramel, "We can only move forward." Azriel only nodded, "I could swear I said that to you once. Let us know when we've arrived, Lyra."

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Lyra barely listened to what the men were saying, she was too enthralled by the feeling of nature again. It was all she had ever known and that single day and night in those stone walls was enough to make her miss it. To be so far away and closed off go such a natural thing was beyond her.

It wasn't long before she had lead them to a meadow. There were blue flowers everywhere and bunches of white, tiny yellow butterflies fluttering about. The horses came to stop and Lyra waited for the King to dismount so that he could help her do the same. Azriel's hand was soft, yet strong and caloused in places, surely from any battles he had been in. Her green eyes stared into his for a moment, wondering if she was making the right choice. He could be waiting for her to grab the stone and then kill her in cold blood just to have it, but it felt almost wrong to think that way.

Letting go of his hand Lyra slowly walked into the meadow, her hands grazing the flowers as she went. She came near the center and bent down to a medium sized rock. There, beneath that rock, was the stone wrapped in leather pouch. She looked at the pouch and then back at the men that came with her, pausing a moment, before slowly waking back to them. Lyra motioned for them to gather round as she opened the pouch and dumped the stone into her hand. It was smooth, shaped like an oval, and it looked large in her hand. It's coloring was dark, almost black, but there were streaks of rainbow that danced across it's surface depending on how the light touched it.

"This is the stone." She said simply, glancing at Mor and then Azriel.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:04 pm

Azriel looked around village, seeing past the bodies and destruction to the trees. He couldn't remember the last time he had done something like this. Every time he left the castle, it was to go to a Lord's house for attend a party at a Lord's estate. All his business was done inside the castle or away on other lands. That had to change, Azriel concluded as he stoppwd the horse.

As he helped Lyra down, he felt her stare and gaze back at her. She seemed to be contemplating or entertaining a thought that she needed proof of. Azriel let her search and hopefully she found what she was looking for. He let her hand go and nodded to Mor who also got off his horae and followed them.

He watched all her actions very carefully, not doubting that his friend was doing the same. They both shifted closer when she motioned for them to gather around. Azriel's eyea narrowed as he beheld the stone. It certainly felt a strange way to be around it. Since it was magical, he didn't doubt it's promise to give whoevwe wielded it immenae power.

"Wow. It's...smaller than I thought it would be. This is what Gani wanfa in exchange for Bryn?" Mor asked curiously. Azriel nodded and shifted back, "Yes. But lets not forget it's magical so I think we'd all be better of putting it back in the pouch as we head to the witch. Mor shrugged and then said to Lyra, "Anything that has to do with magic rubs him the wrong way." A serial shook hia head, unsure why Mor decided to add his own commentary.

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Lyra swiftly put the stone into the pouch and tucked it into the breast of her vest. "As it should." She retorted to Mor. "Magic is nothing to be trifled with. It should always be taken seriously and avoided whenever possible." She gave Mor a serious look, not humored by him in this instance. Her gaze shifted to Azriel as she sighed. "As you know, the road ahead will not be easy. There is no guarantee that the witch will help us, but I will do everything in my power to convince her otherwise. I know this can't be easy, trusting your sisters fate to a complete stranger, but-" Lyra took a breathe, meaning the next words that she spoke, "if I should fail, I will not blame you for finishing what we almost started in the dungeon."

She walked away then, going over to pet the King's horse. Lyra could sense the vibration of the stone, not that it was taking hold of her, merely that she sensed it's power. She wondered what it's range was, would Mor or even Azriel fall to its inticing promises?

Checking the Sun's position in the sky, she called out to the gentlemen. "We should keep going. We'll make it to the base of the mountain by night fall and continue on foot in the morning." So she wanted for Azriel to help her on the horse.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:13 pm

Mor watched Lyra and Azriel after she had practically scolded him. He shook his head, "You two are just so positive aren't you?" he scoffed and walked to his horse, stroking it's mane as he waited for them to embark on the journey to visit the witch. His widened at her next words. He looked at Azriel long enough that the king returned his stare. The shared the same thought as Azriel looked back at Lyra. He gave a nod and said, "We'll figure it out when it comes to that," he told her.

Mor watched Lyra pet the horse and chuckled, "Looks like Shadow likes you," he smiled using the name Azriel had given the dark horse years ago. Azriel shook his head as he followed her to the horse and got on once more. He offered his hand once more and pulled her up onto it in front of her. He stiffened as he actually felt the pulse of the stone, even through Lyra. His hands gripped the reigns tightly as he nodded, "Sounds like a good idea. The faster we get to the witch, the better," he looked to Mor, bothered by the way the magic almost beckoned him. "Do you feel that?" he asked Mor.

Mor hesitated but nodded, "A bit." Azriel sighed as a curse slipped from his mouth. His looked Lyra and knew she would know he was talking to her even when she couldn't see him, "You're the only one who'll hold this stone," he murmured, turning his horse and began to move once more.

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:00 pm

Lyra felt more comfortable around the horses now, and to hear that Shadow liked her was the best compliment. "I like him back." She smiled, petting the horse down it's snout. The group mounted their horses and she heard Azriel curse under his breath. To his request all she could do was nod as they moved on.

~¤~

After many miles of trees and sightings of creatures in the woods, night fell and they reached the base of the mountain. It loomed over them, appearing to reach the heavens. "We will make camp here." Lyra spoke but her vision was cast upwards as if she were searching for something on the mountain's side. Everyone dismounted and she offered to collect wood for a fire.

As she walked about, a pile of sticks forming in her arms, she worried for their safety. Not only was the stone very exposed, but it's powers beckoned anyone near to use it. It wasn't long before she returned to their camp and began to set the wood up for a fire. Living in the wild was nothing new for her, so she knew how to find ways to survive. She wondered how the boys would fair.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:41 am

The entire ride Azriel was as stiff as he had been the yesterday when Lyra was brought in front of him. He had no care in the world for the stone before he had gotten here, but now he could feel his own thoughts infiltrating his own mind, like a virus. Just moments ago when he knew he had no use for the power, he was now contemplating whether he could use it to free his sister. Thoughts sprouting from a dark unknown part of his mind that hadn't existed until moments ago telling him he could use the stone to gain power and get his sister, perhaps even punish Gani for keeping his sister prisoner for so long.

Azriel had one of the happiest moments in his life when Lyra spoke, as if snapping him out of his trace. One look at Mor and he knew the same could be said for his friend. When they had all dismounted, Azriel took a minute to look around, recollecting himself. Mor didn't comment jokingly like he wanted to on how Lyra had taken up the role of giving orders when they had a king present. Instead he got of his horse and began pacing. When Lyra walked away he saw his friend visibly let out a breath of relief.

"That was..." Mor shook his head, finding no words. Azriel watched his friend and asked, "What was going through your mind?" As loyal and understanding as ever Mor said, "How if your father hadn't killed mine, I could have been king. And if I had the stone...I c-could..." Azriel watched his friend turn a shade closer to pale. He had seen his friend endure many things, but never had he been shaken up this way. Azriel walked to Mor, his eyes narrowing, "We just have to make it through the night." Mor nodded silently as Lyra came back. The man walked to his horse, unpacking a sack of dry pieces of meat, bread and more water. There was one large blanket that Azriel undid from the horse. They had packed very lightly. Both men were silent, they're movements strained as the stone was within proximity again.

"The thing...is dangerous," Mor snapped all of the sudden. Azriel surprisingly chuckled though it was dry, "Now you understand," he brought all the things under a tree near the pile of twigs Lyra had collected for the fire. "Does it not affect you?" Azriel asked her.