Re: [ONE] Unexpectedly Captivated [12maori3]

ariagrey

Re: Re: [ONE] Unexpectedly Captivated [12maori3]

Post by ariagrey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:56 pm

The way he said her name...It was so familiar, so informal, as if they had always been friends. Lyra flinched as he knelt before her and spoke, still not daring to look at him. The flood gates were threatening to burst and she refused to shed anymore than a tear in front of the King of all people.

Azriel made everything sound so simple. It was as if mankind wasn't held in the balance. "I want t-...to help you." She still spoke very softly. "I want to help your sister if it is in fact true, but you ask me to risk everything for two people I don't know." She let out a breath as if speaking had consumed so much energy. "I am not heartless or uncaring." She continued. "In fact, my heart aches for you, for I know the loss of a loved one..." Her voice trailed off as she closed her eyes, flashes of her people screaming and her village burning to the ground played in her mind.

Lyra had so much empathy for others, it had always been that way. In this instance it was hard to not want to tell the King where the stone is and be done with it. To just be rid of the weight of protecting the stone and letting the world burn in chaos and destruction. Magic had-

Her thoughts trailed off as her eyes flashed open. "Maybe there is a way." Her voice was louder now and less solemn. There were no more tears in her vision as her gaze held the King kneeling before her. "There is a witch in the mountains. She lives past the woods my village was in. The elders spoke of her before. They said she might know it's origins." Lyra paused a moment, letting the King absorb the information.

Of course, there was no guarantee he would believe her. Why wouldn't someone suggest leaving this walls, allowing them a chance to escape? This, however, was true. She had heard the elders speaking in private of the witch that lived in the mountains just beyond the forest when she was young. They bad caught her spying and told her to forget what she had heard and to never speak of the witch. There was a chance though. There was a chance the witch could render the stone useless before they gave it to Azriel's sister's captors. Giving them time to leave before the captors realized it was a dud.

"I swear it's true." Lyra's face was soft in this instance, inviting even. "I have no reason to lie to you. For even if I escape, I will never truly be free and that is all I want."

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:22 pm

Azriel sighed, disappointed din her response but he had been expecting it. He was doing them both no favors by stalling and waiting for the inevitable. He just wanted to try. He stood up and began to pace, the frustration settling in once more. As much as he appreciates Lyra's empathy, it didn't help him much ar the moment. In fact, it made him feel worse to know she had such a heart even in this situation. The whole situation came closer and closer to resembling torturing an innocent.

When he looked back at her one last time to say he apreciated her rspinse her saw her eyes widen. Then whe began to speak. As she spoke he never let himself get hopeful, not until she the very end. Even then, his hope was very little. "A witch?" His eyes narrowed. He did not eant to get involved in magic, with beings that wielded magic. Because with them, everything came with a price. He waa a perfectly fine being mortal in a mortal world. In fact, if it was not his sister he would not have even went anywhere near the stone. Its peomiaes to grant absooute power seemed a bit suspicious to him. And he was fine ruling his own kingdom.

He sighed as he knelt down and unbound her. The weight in his chest seemed to lighten as he did so. "We'll find out soon enough if you're lying. Tell me more about this witch, and what your plan is," he said carefully. He suspected she had an underlying idea and it aeemed she knew more about this magic world than he did.

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:44 pm

"I don't know much about her. I wasn't allowed to ask about her let alone know about her." Lyra watched as he unbound her, rubbing at her wrists as he moved to her ankles. "I know she lives in the mountain passed the woods, as I said. The elders mentioned her knowing the origins of the stones power or having a hand in creating or something." She waved one hand in the air, dismissing the lack of detail.

Lyra remained in the chair, not wanting to push her luck. She looked up at the King towering over her. The air in the room was different and a wave of relief washed over her. This man who a moment ago was going to preform all amounts of unspeakable acts, was giving her a chance. If there was a way everyone could be happy and safe, she wanted to find it.

"You said to give you another way and I think this might be it. If this witch knows anything about the stone, then perhaps she can disarm it's powers before we hand it over. Maybe even tell us how to destroy it!" A small smile played on her lips at the thought of it. "That is, after we retrieve your sister."

It was then that her mind and her body caught up to the same page. She was sore all over and bruised and raw on her wrists and ankles. When the King's soldiers found her, it was a long walk back to the castle. Of course she had done most of the waking while the rest rode their horses. Lyra let out a breath, both one of exhaustion and relief. There was finally hope, for her and Azriel. It my only be a faint flame, but it was something that hadn't been before.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:24 am

Azriel watched Lyra as she told him she did not know much about the witch. In the short time he'd known the woman, he knew there was more to her than met the eye so he waited for her to continue. He listened to every word, analyzing it for any truth it may hold. So far as he observed her there were no signs she was lying and as she herself had said, there wouldn't be much reason for her to lie.

When she remained in the chair Azriel did not protest. Afterall, he understood her hesitation. Instead, he listened to her next words very carefully letting the small bit of relief soothe him. "So," he began, "you are willing to give us the witches location, so that she may find the stone, nullify it's powers. That is, if she knows anything about the stone." It seemed like a good idea on the surface, but Azriel knew what the issue was with all things magic, "She will ask for something in return. And I have to be ready to give it."

If the witch had a hand in creating the stone, then it was definite she could disarm it's powers. Even if she can't, she might actually tell Azriel where the stone is so that he could retrieve it. From the castle to Lyra's village, it was not too far. He looked Lyra over and the guilt he had forgotten about came back. But he still said, "It's nearing sunset. We will head out to your village tomorrow at dawn and you can show my where this witch lives. I will find ways to bargain with her. You'll spend the night with Jalin, the healer." He visibly let out a sigh as his hand reached for the door, a bit too eager to leave the torture room, "If this does not work but the witch knows where the stone is, she will give it as long as I give her something in return," he told Lyra. It was a warning. If the stone could not be disarmed, he would still take it. But he would try Lyra's way first.

Either way, neither of them would come back to this room. He walked out and held the door open so that she may also walk out. "I'll take you to Jalin myself. Can you ride a horse?" he asked.

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:54 am

Lyra nodded, "The witch does not know where the stone is. I alone know of its where abouts. As for the price to be paid...I suppose we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. We both have something we want and I highly doubt either of us will quit without a fight." Her tone was serious again as a new fire it inside her.

As long as the stone could be safe or destroyed was all that mattered to her. King Azriel seemed like an understanding and possibly kind man, it was indeed hard to tell, but it was her duty. As much as he wants his sister back, to Lyra, it isn't worth inevitable domination and distruction of the world.

It was a little disheartening to know they weren't leaving until tomorrow, however her body was grateful for the rest. Lyra would have never expected to be taken care of by the healer, seeing as she was technically still a prisoner. Tenderly, she stood and walked over to the door as Azriel asked about horse riding.

"Don't you not have servants or soldiers for that?" She was slightly taken aback at him volunteering to take her. "My people had no need for horses. So I suppose not." She said with a frown. Stepping just outside the door, she waited for him to guide her to where ever it was they were going.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:28 am

Azriel began to walk. So only she knew where the stone was. He would give anything to that witch to get his sister back, and that was what tonight would be for. The castle had a library with a section for only magic. He would research all of tonight for anything bout witches, a stone, and know what he was walking into. As he shut the door a sigh of relief left him.

He let a small smile show onto his face as he answered Lyra's question, "I have an inkling you know better than most people how quickly it is for men to become corrupt. I cannot risk my men turning against me for a stone. Tamun did well coming back to tell me about it, only because he knew I would learn about what he did to your village. He also knew he would not be able to find it alone. If he had a choice, he would have tortured the truth out of you and taken it for himself. Only the two of us will go, by horse. Fast and quiet. Not many people know about the situation with my sister and I would rather not let it be known."

He ran a hand through his hair as he began to lead the way, a frown ensuing as he thought about their journey tomorrow, "No guards. Just you and I...and a third person." Mor would like to come. Rephrase: Mor would make himself come. He was stubborn when he wanted to be, just like Azriel. And he would fight and argue until Azriel agrees for him to come with them. Going back to the situation with the horse, Azriel nodded, "You will ride with me then." It would slow them down a bit, but it was better than nothing. As if remembering something very important, Azriel stopped before they began to climb the stairs that would lead back to the castle. The dungeons were underground.

The king turned to Lyra and out of respect for her, her calm, willingness to help and in line with his moral beliefs, he bowed his head slightly. "I am deeply sorry for what Tamun has done to your village and family. I would not change him telling me about the stone, but I am sorry for what he did to try to attain it. I hold my sister dear, but if that was what it had to come to to find the stone, I would have allowed it," he straightened and looked at Lyra once more, "It is a shame someone like that has come from my court." He meant every word. He would have been able to, eventually, muster up the courage to tortue Lyra into telling him the truth. Slaughtering an entire village of people, including children who had nothing to do with the matter at hand, was where he drew the line.

Azriel continued up the stairs until the tiles became decorated again, signfying they were once more in the castle. He walked past a few guards making their rounds or stationed at certain doors, all of them briefly bowing their heads in respect before going stiff once more. A few allowed their eyes to stray to Lyra suspiciously. Once they came to Jalin's ward, the familiar smell of medicine greeted Azriel.

"I'd know that stomping anywhere," a shaky voice came from the other side of door that led to the healer's area. It opened before Azriel could knock and a short old man walked out. Despite the aged look in his eyes and the dullness of his skin paired with the wrinkles, one would never guess he was close to being 80 years old. "Every time you come to visit me, it's when you have a problem. No one comes to say hi to poor, old Jalin on whim. Noo, all forgotten until when needed. When I finally die, you'll-"

Azriel masked a smile as he looked down at the healer, his eyes softening, "Don't talk that way, healer. You told me once everything has ears." Jalin shook his head even though a smile was plastered on his face. His sharp eyes went to Lyra and the smile dropped. He opened the door wider and beckoned them both inside. When Azriel attempted to walk in, Jalin's hand stopped him. The healer had an unreadable expression on his face as he asked the King, "You did this?" Azriel felt the first trickle of regret begin to settle, but not yet. He did not look down as he said, "Yes...but I-" Jalin shook his head as he walked inside, leaving the door open for Azriel and Lyra to walk through.

"Only you can convince yourself of a good reason. I don't know to know your 'buts'," he told Azriel as he patted the bed that sat to the immediate left of the room, "Lay down, dear. Let's see what Az has done to you." Azriel's eyes widened, Jalin's words offending him. The sad part was that Azriel could not deny the words. As if Jalin knew it too, the healer shook his head and made a sound of disapproval.

The whole ward was neat. To the immediate left as the first bed in a line of beds that extended all the way to the end of the wall. To the immediate right of the door was a similar picture. In the middle of the room stood two tables with whatever mixtures Jalin was making before they walked in. Blankets and instant bandages, wrappers and other healing materials lay in a line of chairs near the back. And linining the upper part of all the walls were cabinets with labels on them.

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:03 pm

"Oh, I see." Lyra nodded at Azriel's plan for such a small group on this journey. It maade no difference to her. However she felt like a child knowing she'd have to ride with him. She new tat least every other person if not more knew how to ride a horse. Lyra never went anywhere that would require her to need one. She accepted that fact and listened as the King apologized for the elimination of her village. There was no response on her part. What could she say? 'Thank you for not destroying my village even though you would have allowed it had it come to that'?

As they walked through the castle, Lyra was so amazed by it's monumental beauty. The tile felt cold on her bare feet, colder than the stones from below. It was strange to not feel the earth between her toes, not to feel it's warmth and energy. It was no wonder man were so susceptible to greed and malintent. They trapped themselves in these grandiose palaces, slaves at their beck and call, with anything they could ever want. Why wouldn't the idea of unlimitated power appeal to them?

The pair came upon a door and a voice came from inside. A short old man opened the door and it peaked Lyra interest. He talked so easily with the King, his demeanor friendly and likeable. She smirked as she watched the interaction between the two. She could tell the old man had a kind soul, she supposed her have to to be a healer.

The mood quickly change however as Jalin's eyes rested on her. The old man was serious now and he asked them inside. Lyra kept her head down and followed whatever instructions she was given. She was directed to sit on a bed, but it was unlike one she had seen before. Curiously she walked over to it and sat down. It was far off the ground unlike she was used to and it was so soft. Bouncing a little, she smiled, wondering how anyone could want more than a comfortable bed like this. Then she decided to interject herself into the conversation as her hands and eyes discovered the things around her.

"These injuries are of my own doing. We all make decisions and I just happen to be stubborn." She looked over at Jalin and smiled warmly. "Azriel was only doing what he thought was his only option, as was I." Then she was quiet again as she laid down in the bed.

Gods, it was like laying on what she imagined a cloud would be like. Lyra let out a long sigh, deciding that whether the King brought her here to be healed or to poison her, she did not care in this instance.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:10 pm

Azriel watches Lyra smile and bounce on the bed lightly. He looked back at Jalin as she spoke for herself but the healer disnr lessen his newfound harshness toward the King. He ignored both of them as he walked to the cabinets and began taking out some ointments and bandages. When Lyra called him by his actual name, Azriel looked over at her in surprise. No one but Mor and Jalin called him by his name. Almost everyone else referred to him as "my king", "your majesty" or "King Azriel". But he said nothing as he headed for the door.

"I will leave you to do what you so best, healer." From behind him at the table, getting things ready, Jalin called, "You're going to leave an old man like me while you go play with crowns and swords?" The old man crumbled. "At least before you leave make the girl some tea," he disnr wait for Azriel to reply as he looked at Lyra and asked, "What is your name?"

Azriel sighed, "Jalin, I have mountains of-" Jalin scoffed, "You and that other haven't changed a bit. 10 years old trying to get out of doing work. 30 years old still trying to get out of doing work." Azriel looked offended once more as he finallt walked back in the room and opened a cabinet at the end to rake our a mettle. He knew where eveehrhinf was from the amlunt of time he had spent with Jalin gettng healed almost everyday.

While Azriel prepared the tea, his posture still as stuff as a statue, Jalin pulled a chair to sit next to Lyra. He placed a blanet on the bed for her and looked up, his eyes soft, "You'll find it in your best interest not to refer to him by onlt his given name when he's got those men with big swords around him. What's your name, girl? And what happened to you? I'm going to check for infections first," he told her as he placed a hand on her ahoulder lightly to take off the bandage.

ariagrey

Post by ariagrey » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:05 pm

Lyra's cheeks turned rosey, a wave of embarrassment washing over her. "I'm sorry, my people never had such formalities. Thank you for the advice." She said sheepishly, the room growing suddenly very hot. Oh how she wanted to die in that instance. I guess she would have if she had been in the company of anyone else. Thankfully she was laying down and the King couldn't see her face.

"My name is Lyra." She began, whincing as Jalin removed the bandage, the blood having begun to coagulate causing the bandage to stick. "I...well..." She wasn't sure how to talk about everything. Should she give every detail? Or should she say only the necessary bits? She sighed and looked away. "My village was slaughtered and destroyed for a stone. I hid the stone and your majesty, she emphasized the title, decided to give me this for not telling him where the stone resides. It was only fair I suppose." That was all she chose to say.

12maori3

Post by 12maori3 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:37 pm

Jalin smiled, his last few teeth showing when Lyra became jusf a bit embarrassed. He chuckled heartily taking a liking to the girl instantly. But his smile disappeared when Lyra began to talk. There was silence as Jalin began to properly clean the wound gently then he said, "I'm sorry to hear this. It seems the king has been blind sighted." He took out real antiseptic and said, "This will sting a bit."

Azriel waited for the watwe to boil then put in the herbs. After the tea was ready he poured it in a cup. He placed sugar cubes next to the tray and brought it to the bed. Jalin gave him a sharp look, "You did this?" He nodded to the shoulder injury. Azriel stiffened but answered, "Yes. The tea is ready. I'll be back at dawn tomorrow...please make sure she is ready to ride by then." He set the tray onto the bed and turned to leave but Jalin called behind him, "Be careful, boy. Somethings cannot be undone." Azriel nodded to acknowledge the words but left anyway.

Jalin shook his head and looked at Lyra, "Poor girl, caught in the middle of all this. Drink some tea, it'll warm you on the inside."