Escaping Lenora (Umbra)

Moderators: Moderator, Developer, Admin

DaTurtle

Re: Escaping Lenora (Umbra)

Post by DaTurtle » Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:47 pm

The two emerged from the maze ducking under the entrance which Ren parted for Slyph so she wouldn't have to crouch. As she passed through Ren let go allowing the maze to close. He looked to her with a grin on his face and offered his arm politely. "My armor should have been delivered to the lodged by now, we should head back." He suggested as he became reacquainted with the sounds of the city which seemed to have disappeared while they were in the maze, this seemed peculiar but nothing too concerning.
"Pav fucked up..." ~ UmbraSight

UmbraSight

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:54 pm

Slyph adjusted the long skirt of her dress as she exited the maze through the opening that Ren had made. The grasping vines had tugged and pulled at her clothing, a light dress was not the thing to wear in an overgrown maze. Not that it hasn't been fun to walk through the various twists and turns. She looked back over her shoulder as Ren spoke, and she dipped her head down into an agreeing nod.

“Very well, let us return to the lodge then.” Slyph said, stepping back to Ren and looping her arm around his. It was nice to forget their responsibilities for a time, but for now they had their end of a bargain to take care of. “Lead the way, Ren.”
//...from the stillness, shifting. From the silence, a gasp...//Fall of the Aelir Isles Vol III

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:33 am

As Ren guided Slyph through the city streets he noticed that less of city residents were glaring at them, and they seemed more occupied with another topic that Ren couldn't quite understand. "Did you get a glimpse of him?" He could overhear from a nearby merchant. Ren figured that someone of importance must have come by Ren wrote it off assuming it was another lord.

As they approached the lodge he realized they were probably dealing with something more than just another lord. Ren recognized the golden carriage and the guards that accompanied it. Ren stopped and swallowed nervously as it began to sink in. The king had arrived earlier than scheduled which meant something was happening.

He turned to Slyph with a concerned expression. "Do you remember your human royalty etiquette lessons?" He asked referring to her home schooling.

UmbraSight

Post by UmbraSight » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:27 pm

In many ways, the suddenly lack of attention made Slyph feel more on edge than the constant scornful stares. People, especially those within the high society, did not change their opinions so easy over what they found detestable. The question was then, what was it that had so captured their attention? Another member of the nobility? Beyond an earl or duke Slyph couldn't see such a stir being caused. Unless, it was royal blood.

And that thought gave Slyph a different reason to feel tense.

The guilted carriage with a contingent of guards outside of the inn did nothing to make Slyph feel
any better. She had been in the presence of royalty only once or twice in her life, and those times the royals had been elvish, not human. Different customs, different understandings between the two kingdoms.

“Do you remember your human royalty etiquette lessons?" Ren asked, his face the picture of concern. Slyph’s eyes shifted from Ren, to the carriage, then back to Ren.

“Of course I do.” Slyph said as she straightened her posture and rolled her shoulders back. “Take a moment to compose yourself Ren. Don't want to face a royal looking nervous.” Slyph said, a sly smile curling her lips.
//...from the stillness, shifting. From the silence, a gasp...//Fall of the Aelir Isles Vol III

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am

Ren nodded and was surprised to find himself relaxing muscles he didn't realize were tense. Ren clearly found her voice more soothing than he thought. "You're right, but the last time I spoke with his majesty we didn't part on the best of terms..." He explained.

He remembered their last encounter several years ago before the war. Ren had just lost his father and inherited his title and land despite the lack of experience, which made him a target for the vassles who wanted to use his story to further political tensions against the elvish kingdom. This lead Ren to speak out against the king and lead the other lords into a war that the king disapproved of. Ren hadn't spoken with the king since, he flead deep into their territory to avoid the war, this had been the first time the king had been outside his fortress in years.

Ren slowly traced Slyph's arm before calming down and taking her hand. "I'm also not sure what he'll think of you. Our relationship is one without president."

UmbraSight

Post by UmbraSight » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Slyph’s eyes lingered upon the golden carriage while Ren composed himself as best he could. She smiled, it was strange to see Ren flustered by something, even if it made her knees wobbly as well. But, as her father had told her long ago when she stood before the onyx gates, act as if fear was some distant memory, and courage - or at least something similar would take its place. Advice she was finding increasingly more useful. Slyph reached up and placed her hand on Ren’s shoulder and gave it a reassuring squeeze as he mentioned parting with the King on ill terms when they had last met.

A light chuckle escaped her lips at mention of them being an odd couple.

“Ah, you humans can learn to adjust. As can the elves. Or, we will both be branded as treasonous to our respective lands and forced to leave.” Slyph shrugged simply. With a sigh she attempted to smooth out rumples in her simple summer dress. “Oh this is no dress to meet a King in.” Slyph said with a shake of her head as she stepped toward the door.

“Well, no reason to keep him waiting if he has come to see us then.” Slyph said with a smile over her shoulder and a flutter in her heart.

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:48 pm

Ren nodded and offered his arm to her. "He's here to address the Lords who are going to participate in the tournament." He explained before taking a deep breath and advancing. He thought about what she said about the banishment, they were both nobles but status alone doesn't always stop a headsman. He knew he'd have to keep her safe no matter the cost.

They reached the door and held it open for her, he noticed the mass of lords immediately, they had gathered in the lounge. Several lords in the back and their wives turned to the noise behind them and inspected the newcomers. The rest grew silent and turned and whispered to one another, the air in the room grew thick with caution. Ren noticed a parting of lords in the front, the wave reached the back who didn't notice at first. As they made a hole in the formation a figure stood in the middle, the figure was an older man in his 60's and had a full head of grey and black hair with a short beard without the sideburns, he wore an expensive white and gold tunic which a crest of lilies surrounding shield against a white plain. On his head sat a crown.

The man wore an unreadable face that didn't appear to have any emotion in it, he clearly learned this through years of politics. He stood there for a minute with his shoulder facing them and his head tilted to face them. After a few seconds he turned to them and stepped forward. "The Rest of you are dismissed..." He said with his deep voice which wasn't in a mad tone but still carried authority. The message didn't sink into the nobles at first but they soon began to fall out and back away and took to something else as if to dstract themselves. Ren noticed the familiar noble woman from the auction who appeared to be amused but left like the other's.

The King stepped forward and eyed Ren. "It took a lot of nerve to speak against me all those years ago." He simply said. Ren took a second to respond. "And a childish thirst for revenge. Your grace, I'm sorry for what I did." The King took this in for a minute and reached for something in his pocket and reached his fist out to Ren, who slowly put his palm under knowing what it was already. "For your actions I should banish you or worse. However for your part in ending the war and attempts for retribution and forgiveness I grant you this." He said placing the object in his palm. It was a circular brass medallion which bore the kings crest. It was nearly the size of Ren's palm and felt heavy. "This medallion represents your loyalty from now on, if you lose this you also lose any privileges of your status in my kingdom. You are the last Howe, your family is one of the oldest, it would be a shame if it ended here." He explained as Ren slipped the chain around his neck feeling the weight rest against it. The weight was symbolic of the responsibility he now bore, he'd have to wear this for the rest of his life.

"It appears my early arrival caught several lords off guard, several have yet to return to the lodge. To repeat what I said to the others, the tournament has changed." He said with a sigh. "I'm sure you're aware of this cult that has infested our city and the ranks of the city council? Well they've challenged us to the tournament, the winning side wins the city, if they lose they promise to leave, If we lose the city becomes it's own state." He explained with a hint of annoyance. "I need all my vassels to be ready for the upcoming battles." Ren nodded understanding the consequences losing would mean. He felt responsible for this, no doubt the cult used the war to grow their numbers while the lords were away at war.

"Sparring practice will begin in an hour at the arena, after that we'll be hosting the annual banquet." The King explained to Ren before turning his attention to Slyph. "You must be Lady Sela, a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance." He said offering his hand. "Might I extend my deepest apologies about the raid on your village?"

UmbraSight

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:53 pm

Her body stiffened instinctively as she passed through the doors and into the room. There wasn't much of a ruckus as they entered the room, sneers and snide comments from those who bothered to look back over their shoulders at the newcomers was a much desired over a group of guards come to lead Ren and herself off at the point of a blade. Still, an unsettling murmur of sound slithered its way through the crowd, Slyph simply kept her gaze forward to the center of the room where an older man stood. She didn't need any formal introduction to know who it was.

Sylph remained in place as the King dismissed the gathering of human lords and bid for Ren and herself to stay. She listened intently as the King spoke to Ren, a granting of mercy, a revelation about the nature of the tournament. She shivered unconsciously at the mention of the cultists -- those robed madmen who had attempted to purchase her.

Sylph dipped her head as the King addressed her, and gave his apologies for what had been done to her home. “I thank you for your kind words your Grace.” She said carefully placing her hand within the King’s outstretched palm. “I am honored to hear you know my name.”

DaTurtle

Post by DaTurtle » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:40 pm

The king spoke to her with a distinctly different tone than with Ren. "I take it upon myself to know if any nobility enters my kingdom, I do hope you'll enjoy our tournament." He said as a servant approached and whispered something into his ear. The king frowned and turned back to them. "I'm afraid I must deal with this, if you'll excuse me." He said politely and walked off.

Ren looked down to Slyph and seemed to relax. Ren sighed, realizing he hadn't been breathing. "That could have been worse..." Ren said and took her hand. "He likes you at least." He pointed out and began walking towards the stairs.

UmbraSight

Post by UmbraSight » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:08 pm

“I thank you for your time, your Grace.” Slyph said with a dip of her head and upper torso as the King turned away. As soon as the King was out of eyesight, she felt slightly unsteady like she had just fallen off a horse. A wry smile curled her lips as Slyph looked to Ren, the man also seeming like he had also lost his saddle on a far larger steed. Neither of them had been marched off to the headsmen, so that alone was a triumph.

She reached out and took hold of Ren’s hand as he offered it, and gave it a gentle squeeze. “It seems you are forgiven for now, we must be certain you do not test his patience any further.” She said lightly as the couple made their way towards the stairs. “It seems he does, perhaps you should start acting more like me.” She said with a chuckle and a wink.