[1x1] Rite of Passage

DMLyJa

Re: [1x1] Rite of Passage

Post by DMLyJa » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:32 pm

She kept a steady pace as she walked with him, her head tilting occasionally as he described this new mysterious place. Some of it seemed a bit over exaggeration from a traveling storyteller but she nodded in agreeance that they will soon know the truth once they arrive. Two days travel didn’t seem long and at least they could seek shelter under the canopy of the trees to rest for a night on their travels. She noticed the plushness of the grass and then the flowers, a smile crossing her face at the sight of the small pink and blue blossoms. She would pause in the travel to pick a few of them, her hand reaching into her pack t pull a small empty jar forward. She pulled the cork of the container free before placing the collected flowers into the jar before corking it again.

She would look up to him as he spoke of her, her throat clearing a bit before she placed the jar in her satchel and rose up to him, for some reason she just now noticed his height compared to her own, it made her feel like he towered over her, and yet she didn’t feel as intimidated by him now. “Well…I was in most of the classes we took…You always sat in the middle…You wouldn’t have known I was there…”

She turned and began to continue up the path, her hand pulling an arrow free and lined it up with her bowstring as she continued on, though there was not a specific alert yet. “I am the only child of Serath Crest…I am sure you know who he is….Has healed an illness or broken something or other for everyone at some point…I sat in the back of all my classes…I have done odd jobs to help y family with funds as my Father felt that if you couldn’t pay…that was no reason to suffer…And so more and more people would come to him…needing aid and not offering to pay…”

She stopped spotted a large fallen tree ahead in their path and glanced at Magnus with a sift sigh as she paused her steps. “My Father now wants a higher social status amoungst the village….He feels he is owed this and can not have what he feels is rightfully his to have…So he has agreed to betroth me to Oren…That buffoon…In return for funds and status thanks to his parents…” Her eyes return t the fallen tree as she began to near it now, her eyes looking around for any possible traps or hidden figures. “My Father told me he accepted their deal and that I must return to wed Oren…Or he and my Mother will face exile from the Village for not upholding their end of the agreement…”’
Current Active RP's I Am Participating In:

Sirens Call Tavern - Belia Frelve'len | Tempted Fates - Fayette 'Faye' Delsh
Rite Of Passage - Anniyah 'Ann' Crest | The Silver Isles - Raine

Thanks for all the fun folks!!

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 am

"Aye I'm familiar with him, although thankfully I've never had to see him myself. Worst I've picked up is some scratches and bruises from training" Magnus said as the two of them made their way along the path "Think he gave my mother some medicine for her chest at some stage"

"As for your predicament, I don't know what to tell you. My mam always wanted me to follow my own path and so she more or less supported me in everything I did" He said to her as they went over a small wooden bridge that crossed a small river. Every time they came to a fork in the road, Magnus made sure they would stop to consult the map, taking a moment to locate where they were on the path before working out which fork to take. While he would have been happy to wander aimlessly, Magnus needed to see this city described to him, before resupplying and then taking off on the next stage of his journey "Although if you chose to stay out in the world or settle down elsewhere, there could be nothing done against either party. The elder will not defy the choice of the young one, we are free to choose our own path from this point on"

"But say you had to marry Oren, would it be that bad? He's not too harsh on the eyes, and he comes from money. I'm sure alot of girls in the village would love to change places with you" Magnus asked, stopping to pick up a long stick. While he was crouched down, he picked off any imperfections, remaining leaves and twigs to fashion a walking stick, looking up at her "Or do you have your eyes on someone else in the village?"

DMLyJa

Post by DMLyJa » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:35 am

She took his words in a kinder fashion than she had really expected to have done, it seemed easy to speak with him, nothing how she had imagined for years now. She would follow his lead as they continued, her eyes watching his review of the map every stop, not just to be certain he was correct but to see if she could learn anything new from him. Upon his perception of marrying Oren not being bad though, she stopped and stared at him for but a moment and then when he mentions her having her eye on another in the village she scoffs a bit and shakes her head. She now took the lead, the conversation and subject causing her to drop her guard a bit and in doing so, she had lowered her bow to her right side, her fingers still holding the arrow in place.

“When I marry…Magnus…I don’t want it to be for money, status or fame. I want it to be for love not because my Father took the deal already and I am now obligated to do so… And yes…If I was to marry Oren it will be the absolute worse thing that would occur to me in my life…No…wait…every night I have to lay with him will be the worst thing to occur in my life…”

She took the lead as she scoffed and shook her head, her cheeks having flushed as she tries to forget that he mentioned her possibly fancying another in the village. Soon her speed would bring her to another fork in the road and a grunt of frustration would fill her before she would look to him again, awaiting the removal of the map once again.

“How can you say that he isn’t harsh on the eyes? And his smell…I swear he never bathes! With all the money he seems to come from you would think they could afford him a decent soap. And you are right…Many girls would love to change places with me…So why would they pick the one girl that cant stand that man? I mean why would I marry the man that has harassed me since we were young? Proud he is to always come by where I would be working and cause enough damages that I wouldn't get pay for the week…Where…Where is the love in all of this? I ask you that Magnus…”

It had been made obvious that she had thought about this for a long time, the dread having filled her and with no outlet, Magnus became the focus for her to release on. After all the words spilled from her lips, she had a moment of calm before her eyes look back up to him before she bites her lip gently, the flush returning to her cheeks before she would look to the map that was certain to be out from his belt.

“I’m..sorry…I just…I don’t know…” A sigh escapes her before she raises her free hand up to push the brown tendrils that seemed to never stay in place. She would move close to him as she reviewed the map, not realizing just how close she was, a sign that she had begun to open herself up more to him, finding him to be worthy of her trust so far. “If we go to the right it looks like we could camp about here…” A single digit would circle an area on the map before she would look up to his silver hair framed face with a raised brow.

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 am

"Harsh words about the man" Magnus laughed before noticing how distressed she seemed at the thought. The woman clearly thought she was caught between a rock and a hard place. Escape into the world, to a life of freedom. Freedom to choose, to explore and to avoid a fate she hated at the risk of her parents being shunned in the village. He tried to imagine their tight knit community trying to exile one of their own, but he really couldnt imagine it. Everyone sorted their own problems, and those disputes that couldn't be handled between parties were brought before the Elder, who was both wise and more importantly, impartial. Least in his lifetime only those who left the village did so during their Rite of Passage.

The silence between them after her final statement was starting to reach into that 'awkward' stage, when she finally broke the silence by pointing out a camping spot on the map. Thankful he wouldn't have to say something himself, at the risk of seeming unsympathetic or say something wrong, Magnus paid close attention to what she was pointing out. True, there was a clearing up ahead with a dark patch that may indicate water, and it was still a little while off. But it was as good a plan as any. "Come on then, let's pick up the pace and we could rest a little longer tonight without losing time"

It was around half a day before they reached the clearing, losing the sun for a while as it set so the two of them had to be careful not to trip over the many vines and tree roots that stretched out in front of them. The area was clear, a few tree stumps cut down what must have been ages ago, with moss clinging to them. A small pond formed at the right, with a stream bringing cool clear water to refill it, and the sun lit the area in a dim orange light. Making his way over to the tree stumps, he threw down his pack and sat down on one, groaning to finally have the weight taken off his feet. Magnus knew that there was more to be done before he could relax fully, but this would do for now. Just a little rest.

"Well that was good timing, least we can have a little bit of light to find sticks and leaves to build a fire" Magnus said cheerfully, lounging back so he was more or less draped over the tree stump looking up at the sky. He blocked the sun out with one to get a clearer look "On top of that, the weather looks like it might hold. Think I'll sleep under the stars tonight"

DMLyJa

Post by DMLyJa » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:09 am

Anniyah was breathing heavy as they approached the location they had decided to camp at, her eyes looking around carefully before she tosses the bow and arrow to the ground before removing the quiver and satchel. She allowed them to fall to the ground before letting her knees bend to drop her form on top the tall, overgrown grass and without resistance she allowed herself to collapse into its cool embrace.

Laying back, she took the moment to stare up at the sky, her lips curling into a small smile at his mention of sleeping under the stars, it was after all something she often had done back home. She let slow breath escape her before she takes in the scent of the grass and the woods that surrounded them, and she found herself seeming to calm for the first time since the moment she had awoken. She allowed this to lapse for just a moment before forcing herself up to her feet. Dusting off her pants and the front of her shirt, she glanced over at Magnus with a silent gaze before turning on her heel and moves into the less sculptured areas of their rest site.

She began to gather up fallen branches that had dried enough for their source of heat when night falls, her steps not silent as she moves about nearby. She had left her supplies and her bow where they had lied and as she kept gathering, she moved just barely from view. When her items had fallen from her form upon their arrival, the flap of her satchel had opened and a book could be seen sticking part of the way out from what would have been a hidden pocket if it had been sealed properly. Her steps now fading from range as she moves towards a bush of berries, setting the collection of wood down to the side, she kneels down before looking the berries over. Once satisfied they were in fact edible, she takes the bottom of her shirt and begins to pick the berries, using the shirt as a vessel to carry them back for when she was finished.

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:07 pm

As Anniyah went off, Magnus watched her before searching the nearby area himself for a few sticks to start building a fire. When he had enough gathered, he set them up in a tipi shape with the leaves in the middle, and after a rummage around in his pack he took out a length of flint her gathered just for this occasion. Reaching down to his belt for his dagger, he struck the flint several times with the blunt edge before sparks caught in the leaves. Leaning down close to the leaves, he blew lightly until eventually they were kindled into a small fire. Adding some twigs, it soon lit onto the tipi, giving them more light and most importantly warmth.

As he waited for Anniyah to come back, Magnus settled back against the tree trunk and brought out the map again, along with a thin piece of charcoal and began to make some notes down on it. Where he found flowers, adding in streams and landmarks that he remembered along the way. Magnus wanted to remember this journey for years to come, being able to recall it step by step. Highlighting the path he took, he eventually marked the camp with a small diamond shape with a small '1' at the side to show where they finished the first day. Settling down, he marked out where they would head tomorrow, as well as potential camp spots. There looked to be one coming up beside the river, a day...maybe half a day from the city. Making a few last notes about herbs and animals seen, he rose up to set out his bedroll, opening the straps and rolling it out not too far from the fire he built. As it died down, he threw his last few sticks in order to keep it going until Anniyah got back.

DMLyJa

Post by DMLyJa » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:14 am

Anniyah had gathered the berries in in the end of her shirt, allowing them rest on her knees before she unties the leather strap from her hair. Shaking the braid out she used the tie to bind the twigs for the fire. She hadn’t realized how long she had been gone for until she glanced around and noticed the sun had dipped a bit more. While grasping the end of her shirt and the tie on the twigs, she rose up and began to return back to their makeshift encampment. Upon arrival, she deposited the twigs near the fire and took hold of her pack, pulling a clean rag from it and then setting two handfuls of berries into its crisp whiteness.

She then took another out of her pack and set the remaining berries onto the fabric, her hands then gathering up the first cloth before moving over towards Magnus, setting the berries down beside him with a small smile. She then moves back to her pack, closing it up before setting it down near the fire. She had no bedroll and it wasn’t by accident, she enjoyed the feel of the earth and embraced it completely, at least thus far. She laid down with her head resting against her pack, the cloth wrapped berries of hers now coming to rest on her stomach, her slender digits bringing one to her lips as she stared at the stars beginning to emerge.

“Nothing like fresh berries and the stars above…” She would roll her head to the side to look at Magnus with a gentle smile. “I have heard that they have named the stars above…and that people have used them to find their directions…I don’t know much about it but I have named them myself…” She looked back towards the sky and then held up a finger and pointed towards a cluster of six stars right there…I named that one Rose….Oh and that cluster over there….Thats Poppy…”

She smiled contently as she popped another berry in her mouth, her eyes traveling back to the fire before she lazily picked up a few more sticks to add to their small fire. She would then look through the flames to look at Magnus before quickly looking back towards the sky. Her leg raised to rest across her knee, the cool grass soothing to her back and the bottom of her foot, her mind then begins to wander back to her parents at the village.

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:56 am

Magnus watched as Anniyah returned with more sticks and some berries, meaning he himself wouldn't have to go off gathering for more wood this night. At the sight of berries, he was reminded of the pork his mother had given him befire he left and he rummaged in his pack until he had found it. Taking a strip, he chewed on it while he listened to her speak of the stars. Admittedly her names for the stars were very silly, childish even, but if it helped her find her way, who was he to say anything. When she was done, Magnus finished off his jerky and wiped his hands on the sides of his trousers before propping himself up onto his elbow to look around the fire at her.

"My mother always told me the only two stars to look for was Noverin and Elarael. It those two there" he said, using his free hand to point out two bright stars at the other end of the sky, one barely visable thanks to the surrounding trees "She always told me that from these stars, Id always be able to find my way home"

"The Elder always used to say that those two stars were old gods, from a time long before our own" Magnus continued, lying back down to look up at the heavens. He rested his arms across his chest, his eyes moving from one star to another as he told his story "He said those two stars were once the God Noverin and the Goddess Elarael. Apparently they were lovers, devoting all their time to one another. Then Elarael fell in love with the world and mortals, paying more attention to them them her lover."

"In his jealousy, Noverin left her, stating they would never be together again. He left from the north, leaving her in the south. When Elarael realised she had made a mistake, ignoring her beloved, it was too late. Now they sit up there seperated, guiding travellers on their way"

DMLyJa

Post by DMLyJa » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:45 pm

She listened to his words as she stared at the stars he spoke of, her arm coming to rest between her pack and head. His words warmed her heart and broke it all at the same time, such a sad tale of lovers never to find each other as they sky fills the space between them. Biting her lip for a moment, Anniyah looked over towards Magnus, the flames from the fire dancing between the two of them, the crackling and snapping of the burning wood filling the moment now, but her mind was filled with wonder and questions.

"If the love was true...it should never be to late..."Her eyes fell for a moment before she looked back up towards the ink colored sky and the dancing lights above. "If there is anyone that can bend the laws of everything...it would be the Gods...I pity them as they sit up there...alone...afraid of what could be should they reunite..."

She took the cloth of berries and wrapped the remaining up before setting them aside, her form now moving to curl on her side as she faces the fire, her focus now on the orange hue as her brows furrow. " There love began so pure...and ended in tragedy...If that can happen to the Gods...Then us mortals...we stand no chance at it..." Her eyes now falling shut as a saddened sigh escapes her. "And we are destined for the faults and arrangements...and love will never play a true factor in anything that we do..." Parting her lids just barely, her fingers gently tugging at a blade of grass, her thoughts now returning to her fate when she returns to the village. "Why...do we mortals....even try to love...?"

Her fingers pulled the blade of grass from the ground and threw it into the fire before rolling back onto her back, her arm coming to rest over her eyes now, her other hand coming to lay on the dagger tied to her waist. Her thoughts were now swirling in her mind as the exhaustion of the day began to take its toll on her form. The night air filling her lungs and the chill didn't seem to bother her as the warmth of the fire flooded the area around them, an occasional owl in the distance calling out into the night.

TheDarkOne

Post by TheDarkOne » Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:00 am

As he listened to Anniyah's response, Magnus groaned and fell back down onto his back, his armies sprawled out across the ground. He had only relayed a story he once heard from the Elder, and once again she had managed to fall into despair. Throwing his legs out wide to mimic a starfish, he pouted "You know it's just a story the Elder told. He also told me the oceans were also made of the tears from a race of giants, so hes clearly just stark raving mad" Magnus said to her, rolling over onto his stomach and holding himself up by his elbows before continuing "And what happened to being more positive for our journey, Negative Nancy? I'm pretty sure we had a deal"

This was going to be a long journey with her at his heels, like an anchor trying to pull him down with her. Still he was determined to not let this day be ruined, and it was only a matter of time before she either caved and started to enjoy herself, or strike off on her own. Magnus wondered if he had made a mistake in allowing her to stay with him as long as she'd like, but he tried to push it from his mind. While he was excited to experience new things, it was clear that Anniyah was not ready to leave her family and home behind. Still, they were only required to stay out for a year or so, if she wanted she could find a nearby place to live until she could return. Rather than remind her of that, he tried to coax her and boost her mood "Give it some time. Enjoy your freedom while you have it, live your own life for once. Least you aren't alone in this"

Silence descended between them, only broken by the occasional crackling of the fire. Magnus watched the smoke rise into the sky, smouldering embers flickering higher into the sky before falling as ash. He thought of his mother, and of his father. 'Wonder if he is still travelling the land, or even if he is still alive' Magnus thought to himself, before remembering that he had no idea how to find him or what he even looked like. He played with a strand of his silver hair, wondering if there would be many on their travels with the same distinct colour. Perhaps this would be key to finding him...but if he could, would he want to?